Author Topic: New project  (Read 56625 times)

Offline DC

Re: New project
« Reply #180 on: March 22, 2019, 08:24:53 am »
Woodley- That's the splice where the dark wood is so I want it stiff there. I had steamed in a little bend from there to where the recurve starts but that appears to be gone in that picture. I'll check that out, thanks, good eye.

Offline Badger

« Reply #181 on: March 22, 2019, 08:29:50 am »
  Bow builds like this are what bow making is all about for me. very intense, you actually go to battle with the set. Good job so far. The only thing I do different is I check my benchmark on the first pull, do about 10 pulls and then check it again. If I am getting a pound or two difference I don't get too excited but don't like it either. hard to avoid.

Offline DC

« Reply #182 on: March 22, 2019, 08:32:18 am »
  The only thing I do different is I check my benchmark on the first pull, do about 10 pulls and then check it again.
If you have just removed wood doesn't the weight drop from that throw off your numbers?

Offline Badger

« Reply #183 on: March 22, 2019, 08:53:02 am »
  Of course, every wood removal you have to reset benchmark. It takes my several pulls to get down to the benchmark after a wood removal.

Offline DC

« Reply #184 on: March 22, 2019, 09:02:42 am »
OK some pictures. Do you think I can sneak some more working limb out of these. Would you remove wood back into the point of the "V" joint. I can lose a pound or two. If I had more working limb would it minimize set even though it's already happened?

Offline sleek

« Reply #185 on: March 22, 2019, 09:06:32 am »
Id look into your fades. Draw a line where the splice stops on your handle. I need to see that. Your fades are very long i feel and id bet you can eat into them for more limb length. Now is the time to do it too.. yes, you can head off more set by doing this.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline sleek

« Reply #186 on: March 22, 2019, 09:08:59 am »
From the 3 to 6 inch mark on the pic of your handle, thats stiff, eat into that to get more limb. That would give you an extra 6 inches total. Use that to get your last bit of draw. It will be perfect, and not give you any more set.

Offline PatM

« Reply #187 on: March 22, 2019, 09:10:04 am »
You can almost certainly get a little more bend in the fades and outer fades approaching your v splice.    You don't need much.

Offline DC

« Reply #188 on: March 22, 2019, 09:10:19 am »
The splice ends at the 1" mark on the tape. It's only 2.25" long.

Offline sleek

« Reply #189 on: March 22, 2019, 09:12:03 am »
Even if you can only get the 6 inch to the 4 inch working that would be good. Id leave your tips alone. Though later you may narrow those shoulders a bit to loose some mass.

Offline DC

« Reply #190 on: March 22, 2019, 09:13:40 am »
From the 3 to 6 inch mark on the pic of your handle, thats stiff, eat into that to get more limb. That would give you an extra 6 inches total. Use that to get your last bit of draw. It will be perfect, and not give you any more set.

Even if you can only get the 6 inch to the 4 inch working that would be good. Id leave your tips alone. Though kater you may narrow those shoiukders a bit to loose some mass.
I was steering clear of the fades(like you said) but I guess now is the time. It actually shows better in the picture.

Offline DC

« Reply #191 on: March 22, 2019, 09:15:49 am »
Even if you can only get the 6 inch to the 4 inch working that would be good. Id leave your tips alone. Though later you may narrow those shoulders a bit to loose some mass.
I'll be doing quite a bit of skinnying on the whole lever area, from the splice out. I'll glue some splints on the back so I can monitor the bend. But that's later.

Offline sleek

« Reply #192 on: March 22, 2019, 09:16:56 am »

Even if you can only get the 6 inch to the 4 inch working that would be good. Id leave your tips alone. Though kater you may narrow those shoiukders a bit to loose some mass.
I was steering clear of the fades(like you said) but I guess now is the time. It actually shows better in the picture.

Fades are where your last 3 inches should come from. And sometimes its hard to control, thats why i was expressing such strong words of caution.

This bow is coming together almost perfectly. Im so excited, and impressed with your skill and control. Doing a hellova job.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #193 on: March 22, 2019, 09:20:09 am »
Can u leave draw where it's at...

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #194 on: March 22, 2019, 09:22:01 am »
Can u shoot it through chrono....before extending draw,..ok I'm reading on phone,,,sorry if I missed something,,,if u are to full draw,,,and need more limb,,,,reduce the draw and shoot it,,.maybe u are done,..u have lots of bows....if it shoots good at 26,.,call it good,..
« Last Edit: March 22, 2019, 09:30:59 am by bradsmith2010 »