Author Topic: New project  (Read 57731 times)

Offline bradsmith2010

Re: New project
« Reply #225 on: March 22, 2019, 03:29:52 pm »
I think I said 26 :D,,,ok just kidding,,
I think wrapping it might be a good idea,, but I am always over worried,,
if you dont wrap it and it blows,, the wrap would have looked pretty,,
if you wrap it and it holds you will always think you didnt need it,, nobody said it was gonna be easy,,, :)

Offline Woodely

« Reply #226 on: March 22, 2019, 03:32:17 pm »
Lots of work, looks really nice, but I'm afraid of the design been over built, say a tad stiff here and there.  Does not surprise me that it lifted a splinter.  Now go shoot it 2-300 times and leave it braced for about 6 hours.
What ya going to wrap it with.?
"Doing bad work is an exercise in futility, but honestly making mistakes is trying your best."

Offline sleek

« Reply #227 on: March 22, 2019, 04:15:45 pm »
Reading your FD chart, and knowing that 28 is 40#, guessing that 27 is 38.5 because you dont have a reading there, this bow has a stored energy of 44.1 foot pounds. Thats over 100% energy storage. You very may well have a record breaking bow there for flight shoot. Either way, that bow will be fast. Very few people make a bow that stores close to 100 percent, much less over it.

Do your best to fix that,  and dont be surprised to find insane chrono numbers at 10 grains per pound,  like, 190s to 200s.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #228 on: March 22, 2019, 04:17:24 pm »
Sleek, is there a simple way to explain to me about the storage,, Im not good at math,, )P(

Offline DC

« Reply #229 on: March 22, 2019, 04:19:34 pm »
Id wrap it tight with sewing thread, the length of the splinter, then soak that in liquid ca glue. That usually does the trick.

I wrapped it. I still wanted to chrono it and see how it shoots. It shot a 400 gr arrow 161fps @ 26" draw. Not a speed demon. I'll start picking away at the levers to see how much weight I can get rid of. I'm suspecting a possible bad backing. Well not necessarily bad, just the weak point. I'm always suspicious of my Maple backing. There was some concern that the grain was a little off.

I just read your post Sleek. Hopefully the tips a really heavy

Offline PatM

« Reply #230 on: March 22, 2019, 04:21:05 pm »
This was why I recommended  adding the sinew. ;)

Offline sleek

« Reply #231 on: March 22, 2019, 04:30:03 pm »
Sleek, is there a simple way to explain to me about the storage,, Im not good at math,, )P(

Add all the weights up at each inch, divide by 12. That number is stored energy in foot pounds. You want it as close to your final draw weight as possible, or more than.

Offline sleek

« Reply #232 on: March 22, 2019, 04:38:21 pm »
Id wrap it tight with sewing thread, the length of the splinter, then soak that in liquid ca glue. That usually does the trick.

I wrapped it. I still wanted to chrono it and see how it shoots. It shot a 400 gr arrow 161fps @ 26" draw. Not a speed demon. I'll start picking away at the levers to see how much weight I can get rid of. I'm suspecting a possible bad backing. Well not necessarily bad, just the weak point. I'm always suspicious of my Maple backing. There was some concern that the grain was a little off.

I just read your post Sleek. Hopefully the tips a really heavy

400 grains at 26 is hobbling the bow. First because the bow doesnt pull 40@26, rather 38.5, so you are asking it to shoot an arrow over 10gpp. Second, you are under drawing the powerstroke by 2 inches. That bow should be much faster than you are pushing it. Easily 170s. As for the mass, man, i hope you have lots you can remove. I dont know otherwise why ut wouldnt be faster.

Offline sleek

« Reply #233 on: March 22, 2019, 04:40:33 pm »
Badger,  any ideas?

Offline PatM

« Reply #234 on: March 22, 2019, 04:46:05 pm »
Mass reduction of the extremities and a lighter arrow.  This would be considered a good dry fire design.

Offline sleek

« Reply #235 on: March 22, 2019, 04:50:16 pm »
Mass reduction of the extremities and a lighter arrow.  This would be considered a good dry fire design.

How light? Like, 200 grains?

Offline sleek

« Reply #236 on: March 22, 2019, 04:52:29 pm »
Lots of work, looks really nice, but I'm afraid of the design been over built, say a tad stiff here and there.  Does not surprise me that it lifted a splinter.  Now go shoot it 2-300 times and leave it braced for about 6 hours.

How is this bow overbuit, and where are the stiff spots here and there that you see?

Offline DC

« Reply #237 on: March 22, 2019, 05:01:26 pm »
As soon as the grandson leaves I'll get to stripping weight.
PatM- as long as it doesn't explode the door to sinew is still open. If it shows some promise I could go there. Or make a few design changes with sinew in mind. I could strip the maple off and heat treat the Yew. Just as long as it stays in one piece. Or start a similar one. I've got a few more years in me ;D

Offline sleek

« Reply #238 on: March 22, 2019, 05:07:45 pm »
As soon as the grandson leaves I'll get to stripping weight.
PatM- as long as it doesn't explode the door to sinew is still open. If it shows some promise I could go there. Or make a few design changes with sinew in mind. I could strip the maple off and heat treat the Yew. Just as long as it stays in one piece. Or start a similar one. I've got a few more years in me ;D

Id just make another.... after this one has been tinkered with to the point of success or destruction. Either way.

Offline DC

« Reply #239 on: March 22, 2019, 05:11:22 pm »
I wrapped it with some upholstery thread I had. It's very strong.