Author Topic: New project  (Read 57846 times)

Offline sleek

Re: New project
« Reply #285 on: March 23, 2019, 11:42:40 am »
Back in the day, and this has been disputed,, Tim Baker wrote that the lower brace height would shoot harder, and that even with the increased draw weight with higher brace,, you would loose some fps,,
 :NN

And I agree. You loose power stroke, gain set, but its only gping to affect a few fps.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline DC

« Reply #286 on: March 23, 2019, 12:17:41 pm »
I think I tried this on one of my bows. Raised and lowered the BH by an inch. It didn't make a measurable difference. That's if I can trust my memory ;D So many of these things work in theory but if there's a plus and minus(like draw weight versus power stroke) you need to know actual data (like how much does one help and how much does the other hurt) or you don't know what the result will be. There's a few things that are only positive, like tip weight. At least as far as I know. The lighter it is the better it is. Until it breaks.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2019, 12:24:26 pm by DC »

Offline sleek

« Reply #287 on: March 23, 2019, 12:17:52 pm »
Of course,  those losses mean nothing if the bow just shoots better at a higher brace.

Offline willie

« Reply #288 on: March 23, 2019, 12:45:32 pm »
but I've been through this before, you have to take an awful lot off the tips to make any dif.

Don, I havent tried to plot your results as reported, but do you think the limb lightening has more of an effect on the lighter arrows?

Offline sleek

« Reply #289 on: March 23, 2019, 12:55:32 pm »
but I've been through this before, you have to take an awful lot off the tips to make any dif.

Don, I havent tried to plot your results as reported, but do you think the limb lightening has more of an effect on the lighter arrows?

Id guess it does, as the bow nears dry fire speed, the tip mass comes more into play than otherwise.

Offline PatM

« Reply #290 on: March 23, 2019, 01:00:55 pm »
Here's a sinewed  bow with no horn showing similar structure with short bending limbs and long relatively static outer portions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxCqekHiAaM

Offline DC

« Reply #291 on: March 23, 2019, 01:26:14 pm »

I'm going to have to go with"I don't know". It's something I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around. I think the physics says the lighter it is the faster it can accelerate. I know there is a reason that "AA"Fuelers don't weigh 2 tons. Taking weight off the tips is taking weight off that is halfway(roughly) to the arrow divided by two tips. Dunno :D

Offline maitus

« Reply #292 on: March 23, 2019, 01:37:31 pm »
After a little work on the splice area it's 38#@28". 10gpp was 183fps, 8gpp was 198fps.

Srry, but its hard to believe  :D. Its 17kg and 198 fps? Its about 40 fps faster than the same draw weight plastic longbow. My fastest bow has been sinew backed junniper and 230 fps. But it was 30kg draw :D. If Your crono is not out of order, then congratulation  :D ! I would never be able to make such a efective bow.
 I have a junniper/bamboo/sinew shorty in work and im very excited what will be the results :).

Offline sleek

« Reply #293 on: March 23, 2019, 01:47:34 pm »
After a little work on the splice area it's 38#@28". 10gpp was 183fps, 8gpp was 198fps.

Srry, but its hard to believe  :D. Its 17kg and 198 fps? Its about 40 fps faster than the same draw weight plastic longbow. My fastest bow has been sinew backed junniper and 230 fps. But it was 30kg draw :D. If Your crono is not out of order, then congratulation  :D ! I would never be able to make such a efective bow.
 I have a junniper/bamboo/sinew shorty in work and im very excited what will be the results :).

Plastic makes a terrible bow. So does glass, it just lasts longer. Natural materials outperform every time when the builder knows what he is doing.

Draw weight has 0 zero, zip, zilch, nada, to do with arrow speed, its all about stored energy, effeciency, and arrow weight. I can assure you, his chrono is in working order.

You could make a bow like that, if you study this thread well. I think it should be stickied for all future refernces on how to build a bow.

Offline maitus

« Reply #294 on: March 23, 2019, 02:06:12 pm »
My last bow, i have made for my son, is elm selfbow 19 kg at 29 inch draw. It makes 170 fps with 32 grams arrow. I think its not very bad either :D...

Offline DC

« Reply #295 on: March 23, 2019, 02:18:59 pm »
My last bow, i have made for my son, is elm selfbow 19 kg at 29 inch draw. It makes 170 fps with 32 grams arrow. I think its not very bad either :D...
32 grams is 493 grains. 19kg is 40# Your arrows in this case are 100 grains heavy for 10 GPP. Make a 25 gram arrow and try it. It sounds like a fast bow Maitus. Also I test with a shooting machine. I gives very consistent results and eliminates human bad releases. I do very poorly shooting through the chrono. The machine is about 10fps faster than I can do. I mentioned this back a few posts.

Offline maitus

« Reply #296 on: March 23, 2019, 02:38:40 pm »
Wow, then i have some hope to make fast bows, thank You :D!

Offline sleek

« Reply #297 on: March 23, 2019, 06:27:01 pm »
Man, this thread was so good, im gonna need to go outside and smoke a cigarette. Nothing like a happy ending. Looking for pics of it all dolled up!

Offline DC

« Reply #298 on: March 23, 2019, 06:33:54 pm »
Got two coats of oil on it, new tips. Just trying to decide what to do for the grip. If anything.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #299 on: March 23, 2019, 07:15:24 pm »
grip needs to be pretty fancy,, :)