Author Topic: New project  (Read 58008 times)

Offline PatM

Re: New project
« Reply #60 on: March 19, 2019, 03:59:22 pm »
I've already done it. Not as nice as yours but it will stiffen it where I wanted. I don't like trying to blend the two where the dark wood tapers into nothing. Never looks good. I'll call this one a prototype :D I'll take a closer look at yours now that Pat found it

Take a look at this x-ray of the Khotan bow.
http://atarn.org/letters/khotan_bow/back_xray2.jpg

Offline sleek

« Reply #61 on: March 19, 2019, 04:04:30 pm »
I've already done it. Not as nice as yours but it will stiffen it where I wanted. I don't like trying to blend the two where the dark wood tapers into nothing. Never looks good. I'll call this one a prototype :D I'll take a closer look at yours now that Pat found it

Well dagum, looks like he nailed it. And dense as that is, its probably horn.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline PatM

« Reply #62 on: March 19, 2019, 05:02:04 pm »
Bone actually.

Offline DC

« Reply #63 on: March 19, 2019, 05:11:35 pm »
Impatience won out. I went and bought some. Close to $80 a liter(US quart roughly)Overnight is such a conveient time for epoxy to cure rather than stare at it all day. So, one limb backing on, out starting to cure in the sun. 70° here today thanks to some hot air drifting up from the States. My laser thermometer says the rubber strapping is 97° Life is good(sorry Pappy)

Offline DC

« Reply #64 on: March 19, 2019, 05:20:28 pm »

I'm not sure what I'm looking at. That looks like the grip of a bow. Do you have a link to the write-up, if there is one?

Offline PatM

« Reply #65 on: March 19, 2019, 05:40:37 pm »
It is an x ray of a siyah from the belly side  on a wide limbed narrow tipped ancient bow.     You're not looking at the whole bow.  Just the  pics of each end.  The longer plate is missing on the top left as the bow was a bit fragmented.  Those are multiple horn strips on the belly.

I was just using it to illustrate how boxing in the splices was a  common technique with wrapping usually backing it up.

There is a write-up on the bow on the ATARN site.

Here:  http://www.atarn.org/chinese/khotan_bow.htm
« Last Edit: March 19, 2019, 05:44:29 pm by PatM »

Offline DC

« Reply #66 on: March 19, 2019, 06:09:52 pm »
Thanks Pat, that is very interesting, I'll be going back there.

Offline DC

« Reply #67 on: March 19, 2019, 06:16:05 pm »
Does anyone have any suggestions on how to tidy up a joint like this. The dark wood just tapers out to nothing and I can't figure a way to get a nice line.

Offline sleek

« Reply #68 on: March 19, 2019, 06:35:05 pm »
Does anyone have any suggestions on how to tidy up a joint like this. The dark wood just tapers out to nothing and I can't figure a way to get a nice line.

Paint, a string or sinew wrap, stain, some type of snake skin layed down the side, or even better, make a small carving there. Or put a shallow groove down the side, that will eat into the ligjt feathering and make it not as noticable.

Offline PatM

« Reply #69 on: March 19, 2019, 06:37:15 pm »
Tough to clean up a transition like that.  It's likely always  going to retain a bit of a feathered look.    In the future you may want to take the pieces the full length.

Offline DC

« Reply #70 on: March 19, 2019, 06:47:09 pm »
Pat's right, I should have carried them to the end. I don't normally like thread wraps close to the end because they sometimes bridge over the string groove. This may be far enough from the tip to avoid that. If I brought a snakeskin into the house I would spend the rest of my marriage(which wouldn't be long) in the wood shed. ;D

Offline sleek

« Reply #71 on: March 19, 2019, 07:15:02 pm »
Pat's right, I should have carried them to the end. I don't normally like thread wraps close to the end because they sometimes bridge over the string groove. This may be far enough from the tip to avoid that. If I brought a snakeskin into the house I would spend the rest of my marriage(which wouldn't be long) in the wood shed. ;D

A woodshed makes a good bow makin spot, just sayin :)

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #72 on: March 20, 2019, 07:42:16 am »
Paint could even it,,.just a small dark strip,..a diamond shape would look nice too
« Last Edit: March 20, 2019, 07:45:54 am by bradsmith2010 »

Offline Woodely

« Reply #73 on: March 20, 2019, 08:18:21 am »
You can make a very slight gentle cut with a razor knife then sand across the limb gently and you will end up with a straight line.

I have some bows like that,  its added character... 8)  ..people know I'am carrying a handmade bow even if it looks 95% like a factory bow.   :)
« Last Edit: March 20, 2019, 08:25:17 am by Woodely »
"Doing bad work is an exercise in futility, but honestly making mistakes is trying your best."

Offline DC

« Reply #74 on: March 20, 2019, 08:41:49 am »
I think that surface is going to be curved which would mean I'd have to cut a curved rather than straight line with the razor knife. I'm not very good with free handing stuff. I'll give it a shot and see how it goes. It will be tough to get a nice crisp line with sandpaper. Fine paper is the key I'll bet. Thanks