Author Topic: New project  (Read 57804 times)

Offline sleek

Re: New project
« Reply #75 on: March 20, 2019, 08:53:13 am »
I think that surface is going to be curved which would mean I'd have to cut a curved rather than straight line with the razor knife. I'm not very good with free handing stuff. I'll give it a shot and see how it goes. It will be tough to get a nice crisp line with sandpaper. Fine paper is the key I'll bet. Thanks

Mask it off with thick tape, then use the edge of tape as a guide to cut your line. Leave the tape in place and lightly sand, remove the tape and burnish the transition to smooth it. Then when you apply your finish, go heavy in that area to allow the finish to fill any remaining step from the transition.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline ohma2

« Reply #76 on: March 20, 2019, 10:11:53 am »
DC ive said it before but you sir are amazing and a fine craftsman ,i love the things you come up with and do :OK

Offline DC

« Reply #77 on: March 20, 2019, 10:12:49 am »
First limb unwrapped. Glue line is good, I'm happy. You can see how much reflex I glued in. It was pretty heavy so I didn't push it.

Offline DC

« Reply #78 on: March 20, 2019, 10:14:00 am »
DC ive said it before but you sir are amazing and a fine craftsman ,i love the things you come up with and do :OK
Ah, shucks, I just get lucky once in a while. Thanks a lot.

Offline Bayou Ben

« Reply #79 on: March 20, 2019, 10:33:28 am »
I have to agree with Steve.  You ask questions but back them up with action.  I love the get it done attitude  :OK
Looking forward to the rest of this build.

I use a scraper to get the lines like I want on glued on riser transitions.  You can get the shape you want with a little patience. 

Offline sleek

« Reply #80 on: March 20, 2019, 10:57:55 am »
When you start to tiller this thing, STAY AWAY FROM THOSE LIMB SLICES! If ypu jave to, wrap them with tape to avoid an accifldent.  Also, dont let the fades bend much. They should bend last, thats where your last 3 inches of draw length come from. The bending should start from the outer limbs slowly working its way in.

Well, that's my advice anyway from having built bows of this shape, but 10 inches shorter.

Now that I said all that, what are your plans on how to tiller it?

Offline DC

« Reply #81 on: March 20, 2019, 11:34:14 am »
Scrape away at it until it looks right?? When you say wrap them with tape is that to strengthen them or just to make sure I don't scrape there? I would think that if ain't strong enough to take tillering it ain't going to last anyway.
Plans? I'm going to watch the thickness very closely. This one is 2" wide at the fades. I've never made a bow this wide before. The backing is 1/8" so I figure if I start to get close to 3/8" thick I'll start to side tiller. I guess I'll have to temper that with how close I am to full draw. We'll see. I just said temper. I was going to heat treat the limbs before glueup. Just flat forget. Crap. Oh well the second limb is glued and sitting in the sun. We'll see tomorrow.

Offline sleek

« Reply #82 on: March 20, 2019, 12:40:10 pm »
I wish I had a direct comparison of yew to osage, as a ratio in compression. If i did, i could tell you exactly how wide to make that bow for the draw weight you are shooting for. Have you settled on what your expectations are yet?

Offline DC

« Reply #83 on: March 20, 2019, 01:23:28 pm »
40# I make all my bows 40#

Offline sleek

« Reply #84 on: March 20, 2019, 01:33:11 pm »
Do you have any 40 pound yew bows that are that long?

Offline sleek

« Reply #85 on: March 20, 2019, 02:51:30 pm »
I ask because if you have a yew bow that is at least close to that long, and with an acceptable amount of set, then you can do this to get a darn near perfect idea of how to procede

Measure the yew bows working ( bending ) length
Measure your new bows working length.
Make a ratio of working length between the yew bow and this new bow.
Add 1/4 inch of width to the measurment of width on the yew bow for every inch of set. ( This number is what i use for osage, perhaps yew guys have a better sugestion )
Then, say your bow you are using for measurements has 2 inches of set.
Add 1/4 for every inch of set it took, so, 1/2 inches added.
Now, assume 28 inches of working length on the yew bow, ans 17 on this new one. Thats a ratio of 1.647:1
Now multiply that 1.647 by the width of the yew bow PLUS the adhustment for its set
That andwer is how wide you sould make your new limbs and not be too wide for its draw weight.

This is important because width is what controls the draw weight. Too wide, waisted mass, slower more inefficient bow. Too narrow, set.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2019, 03:26:48 pm by sleek »

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
« Reply #86 on: March 20, 2019, 03:17:49 pm »
WOW! thats alot for my mind. whoo. I gotta sit down! (W
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Offline DC

« Reply #87 on: March 20, 2019, 04:10:01 pm »
Sleek, did you repeat the "add 1/4 for set" or do I do that twice?
Move over Deerhunter I'll be sitting beside you ;D

Offline sleek

« Reply #88 on: March 20, 2019, 04:21:16 pm »
Sleek, did you repeat the "add 1/4 for set" or do I do that twice?
Move over Deerhunter I'll be sitting beside you ;D

I did lots of editing to that post while typing. You only add the 1/4 once. My appologies.

Offline DC

« Reply #89 on: March 20, 2019, 04:26:49 pm »
No problem, just making sure.