Author Topic: New project  (Read 58254 times)

Offline sleek

Re: New project
« Reply #90 on: March 20, 2019, 04:33:51 pm »
I want to stress, you may be better off adding 3/8 an inch for every inch of set. Or, ask the yew bow guys for measurments on the bow they have that has taken the least set. Then use that bow as your reference.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline DC

« Reply #91 on: March 20, 2019, 05:04:57 pm »
I'll try it with my best bow. It's a boo backed yew that only took about 1/2" of set. It has a 24" working limb and I think this one is going to be 14-15".

Offline sleek

« Reply #92 on: March 20, 2019, 05:24:46 pm »
Lol, my guess for working limb length was in the ballpark at least. So your ratio is 1.71 not the 1.6 something I guessed at earlier.

So, take the width of your bamboo yew bow, add 1/4 ( or 3/8 , your call i dont know yew )  to it, and multiply that by yout 1.71 ratio.

Do that every two inches of the bows working limb, starting at the fades working outward until you hit the stiff part on your new bow.

With the difference in backing material, for the tension side of things, im not certain how well your backing strip matches yews compression abilities. If yew wins out, you may consider rounding the belly to give the back more surface area than the belly. A reverse trap really. How much do you know about your combination of wood there?

Offline Woodely

« Reply #93 on: March 20, 2019, 05:33:28 pm »
I'll try it with my best bow. It's a boo backed yew that only took about 1/2" of set. It has a 24" working limb and I think this one is going to be 14-15".

I try to get at least 25" or more of working limb.  14-15"  thats dangerous Territory for this cowboy. But then again I'm not a master bowyer.    :P
"Doing bad work is an exercise in futility, but honestly making mistakes is trying your best."

Offline PatM

« Reply #94 on: March 20, 2019, 05:42:12 pm »
 I like to add up the total working limb and use that to calculate the max draw length.

Offline DC

« Reply #95 on: March 20, 2019, 05:47:48 pm »
Going with your system I'm 1/8" narrow but that depends on how accurately I measured the working lengths. It will be close.

Offline DC

« Reply #96 on: March 20, 2019, 05:49:48 pm »
I like to add up the total working limb and use that to calculate the max draw length.
So I have 28" of WL. Does that mean 14" or 28" DL. Or something completely different?

Offline DC

« Reply #97 on: March 20, 2019, 05:51:00 pm »
Also I have about 10° of deflex, that's going to buy me some draw length isn't it?

Offline sleek

« Reply #98 on: March 20, 2019, 05:56:30 pm »
1/8 isnt much, but per my calculations, you have enough wood to make a 37 pounder without set ( hypothetically speaking because again, 1/4 is what I use for osage ).

This should be a good build. Just be very cautios during the tiller. Id use Badgers no set tiller method, make extensive use of a long string, never overdraw past your 40 pounds.. you know, all the rules... i am beyond excited to see this bow come around. Please keep a log and post it of your draw weight and length as you go. Also, pics please.

This design really likes the tips to bend first and fade to bend slightly and last. Its doesnt give much room for error. Take it slow... but hurry up and shoot it ready! Im dyin over here!

Offline sleek

« Reply #99 on: March 20, 2019, 05:57:53 pm »
Also I have about 10° of deflex, that's going to buy me some draw length isn't it?

Yes, it will help lots, but deflex oddly enough, stresses the fades before any other part of the biw making them very susceptible to set early on in the game. Be careful.

Offline DC

« Reply #100 on: March 20, 2019, 05:58:24 pm »
Oh, I have used maple backed yew a few times. I prefer boo backed but that may be mostly aesthetics. I think the effectiveness of a Maple backing depends on the Maple much more than a Boo backing. Put that another way, you can tell if the boo is good by looking at it(most times) where as maple may have more runout in one piece than the next and it won't show that much.

Offline sleek

« Reply #101 on: March 20, 2019, 05:59:02 pm »

How do you calculate based off that?

Offline DC

« Reply #102 on: March 20, 2019, 06:01:12 pm »
Please keep a log and post it of your draw weight and length as you go. Also, pics please.
I'm not sure what the log will show. It will just be 40@10, 40@11 etc. What else do you want? Yup on the pictures.

Offline sleek

« Reply #103 on: March 20, 2019, 06:02:06 pm »
Oh, I have used maple backed yew a few times. I prefer boo backed but that may be mostly aesthetics. I think the effectiveness of a Maple backing depends on the Maple much more than a Boo backing. Put that another way, you can tell if the boo is good by looking at it(most times) where as maple may have more runout in one piece than the next and it won't show that much.

Ok, so it sounds like maple is a decent match for yew, and you are familiar with it. Awesome.

Sorry if i am butting too much into your build here. I love this design, and its killing me im not actually there helping build it. I hope my excitement of this isnt overbearing.

Offline sleek

« Reply #104 on: March 20, 2019, 06:03:03 pm »
Please keep a log and post it of your draw weight and length as you go. Also, pics please.
I'm not sure what the log will show. It will just be 40@10, 40@11 etc. What else do you want? Yup on the pictures.

Are you familiar with Badgers method of no set tillering?