Author Topic: YEW log into Billets and 3 BOWs - 3 FINISHED BOWS - Renamed title again  (Read 14996 times)

Offline globalmark

Bow B Finished
Bow B Finished _ this was the Dodgy Wood - 2 limbs different shapes - one with reflex and one with deflex , has a funny Brace as looks like has set - plus hell of a twist - but at 41Lbs seems shoot ok - not a great Bow but certainly not bad ..

Bow A - after straightening again - was 52lbs - but really Fast and a lot of shock - so decided to reduce this - did 20 strokes with Cabinet scraper on each limb , mainly flat on the belly and reduced to 43lbs - goes to show how much LBS reduce with such a small amount of wood . - had to tiller again little also ..
Bow A - Polish Nocks - after again 4-5 coast Danish Oil ..

Offline globalmark

Bow A - after finished all Danish oil - use some CORK self adhesive tile cut strip stick on then shape with a rasp GENTLY
BOW A Braced
Both BOWS finished - Bow A did a wrap with 1.4mm suede (didn't skive the edge of leather just cut the end tapers and glued with Spray contact adhesive)
Both Bows Finished

Offline globalmark

Both Finished Bows

Offline globalmark

Both finished Bows

Thanks for all those who gave Help - enjoy

However Not finished as have all those Laminations making a bow so more to come

Offline globalmark

Re: YEW log into Billets - NOW FINISHED BOWS - Renamed title again
« Reply #34 on: April 26, 2019, 10:42:07 am »
Ok
What to do with all those twisted bad laminations - Make a bow what else hahah i was thinking they were to bad and thought maybe under some glass - but decided maybe get enough good wood if made a pyramid bow as can carefully cut out the bad bits and several layers might NOT break - lets hope ..

Made a Pine Template - mainly sport can see what parts of the dodgy Laminations can use - took ages spinning the lams and moving around
Many of the Lams were so twisted - i heated some to Straighten -make the grain as straight as possible
Cut out enough Laminations - i stacked them so one strip of all sapwood on top - and the edges of sapwood I reversed so didn't have sap wood on one side only (where possible anyway)
Made a solid bit Pine Base to Glue to approx same size as template (as didn't have enough spare wood to shave down after glue up - so needed it close as i could) - covered in Tape and will glue one limb to each side .

NB - Middle Lamination I put through Thicknesser again with Tapered Sled so Middle Lamination is Tapered slightly too the tips (same as my recurved bows)
« Last Edit: April 26, 2019, 10:54:16 am by globalmark »

Offline globalmark

« Reply #35 on: April 26, 2019, 10:45:48 am »
Laminations - scraped with saw blade give more glue area -
Limbs or laminations on my Glue stick covered in Clingfilm
Limbs wrapped in Innertube - all i had (also small pressure strips made from thin timber) - ready for heat cupboard - Smooth-on used
Limbs ready to clean and shape

Offline globalmark

« Reply #36 on: April 26, 2019, 10:49:24 am »
Limbs again - can see the splits and knots - but plenty of glue squeezed into all the defects - I hope
Limb Splice layout
Splice cut on Bandsaw
Splice cleaned up so perfect fit - and Handle overlays ready as will glue up all together (mainly all YEW , but used one bit oak and elm also)

Offline globalmark

« Reply #37 on: April 26, 2019, 10:52:51 am »
Lots clingfilm and inner tube 
Dry and out of clamps and cut and sanded Handle sides
Shaping Handle
Couldn't be bothered with Tempory Nocks so glued on some IPE and slice of Horn just basic flat as bow might not work ?

Offline globalmark

« Reply #38 on: April 26, 2019, 10:59:01 am »
OK - tried this Bow on the The Tiller TREE but was only 17lbs but seemed OK , so decided to Glue another Lamination on top and one limb had tiny bit recurve and one had tiny bit reflex - probably due to the twisted Lams , so glue on a mother Lamination I made a simle Jig to make both recurve limbs approx the same .
See the Jig ( covered in Tape ) just a  2x1 and small blocks cut to the recurve shape on bandsaw and held on 2x1 with Tape)
Ready for Cooking
Out of cooking and cleaned and shaped

Offline globalmark

« Reply #39 on: April 26, 2019, 11:57:12 am »
Nocks
Last Lamination - looks ok bit sapwood but layer underneath is on opposite side so hopefully stress out evenly ..
All Bows from that ONE log -

The Flat/pyramid bow mostly finished , maybe some light Tillering but i like to wait a few days before tiller make sure the Smooth-On is 100% cured first
i had it lightly on tiller with the 3 laminations and shot couple arrows But with the 4th going up the Handle i will leave it a day or so longer ..

there is a lot of defects in this Log generally and these Laminations were Cut as could not get a Longbow out of the pieces - shakes , cracks , splits Knots - all in this Flat Bow , but hopefully they are buried in the laminations and strong enough now ...

that's all for now until get to Tiller the Bow and finish it up - will post when Can ..

Offline kbear

Wow..... what a fantastic pictorial. Many thanks to you!

Offline simk

HeyHey - super cool what you did of that strange bit of log - especially the upcycling of those scraps to a laminated bow is fascinating - really curious what will the end result of that - thanks for sharing - Superduperbowbuildinghero!  (-S
--- the queen rules ----

Offline DC

What did you make the back of the lam bow with?

Offline globalmark

HI Guys

Thanks for kind comments - been lots work but fun to do

DC - Back of the Lam bow ((this is all YEW Bow (made from offcuts of same Log at beginning) except tiny slice of oak and Elm in the handle)) - the "Back"is a Lamination of pure YEW sapwood -then the rest of the Lams are YEW Heartwood (but has slight sapwood bits down the side) but when I stacked the Heartwood Lams , i made sure didn't stack sapwood edge on top of sapwood ( reversed the sides if you know what I mean)

But basically 1 lam of YEW sapwood and 3 lams of YEW heartwood . ( i think in one photo i have one limb showing the sapwood and other heartwood IE- one is of the back and one the belly)
See Pic - this is Lam stack all Yew -
« Last Edit: April 26, 2019, 03:34:07 pm by globalmark »

Offline Rākau

• Aotearoa-the land of the long white cloud
this is amazing! never would have seen one bow in that log, let alone 3!!!!