Author Topic: YEW log into Billets and 3 BOWs - 3 FINISHED BOWS - Renamed title again  (Read 15215 times)

Offline bassman

Masterful and resourceful.

Offline hoosierf

Simply Awesome - well done.

Offline katzmoor

based and recyclepilled trashman bow
Omae wa mou, shindeiru.
Nani?!

Offline rps3

You do nice work. Thanks for sharing all of with us. 

Offline globalmark

Thanks Guys for comments

ok Bow 3 - laminated one , decided to put on the Tiller this Afternoon just to see where we were at -
and even though 4 laminations of Yew still only had a 25lbs draw weight seems to shoot fine BUT
due to using all the left over laminations and even as careful as i was -
the bow has a developed a crack in the Back and some shakes opened little on the belly -

Plan - i have glued there crack and the shakes - warm smooth-on while bow was drawn i pushed glue into the cracks for a few mins so hopefully some will get inside . let that dry - then Belly Maybe ok but the Back i am thinking about putting a 2nd Back on it (only 25Lbs) so happily can add some thin layer
unfortunately don't have enough yew Sapwood left so either might Buy something Hickory , Ash or maybe even some glass ?

Pics
Tiller - not great - was a large Knot in 4th lamination causing a bend , so did very gently tiller .
Tiller - getting better
Belly - Shakes coming through
Back Crack in sapwood (have 3 other layers so not as serious as think) but still needs fixing. is also only 2/3 width of 1 lamination ..

NB _ if anyone has other suggestions what can put on the Back - timber or other material to repair or stop this Crack getting worst would be appreciated
as been trying to decide best way -

Thats all for today -
« Last Edit: April 27, 2019, 02:57:41 pm by globalmark »

Offline simk

Rename the title? My sincere condolences!
Curious for further action!
« Last Edit: April 27, 2019, 03:19:19 pm by simk »
--- the queen rules ----

Offline globalmark

OK - Repair , I came up with a decision - a Massive splice and then cover the back with a extra Laminations - it will make the Bow thicker but i will round the top and belly slightly making more like a normal yew bow Maybe ?? it was only 27lbs so might turn out a decent weight pull after

1st thing i did was run lots Glue into the crack but now cut that out - but put glue also in the Belly shakes that should be fine for them...

Glue Belly Pic
Crack on the Back after glue dry can see crack
side view of crack
Pic of Bow New Back laminations - unfortunately didn't have any pure sapwood but these are mostly sapwood and grain running different way (like quartersawn ) so should reinforce underlayer well (i manually bent just the lamination to 180˚ and didn't snap so plenty of bend on them)

Offline globalmark

1st Job for repair

Plane off Handle riser i glued on before
Bandsaw off Nocks (about 1mm above lamination below and finish with block plane)
Cut template of Half one limb - then i layed that on some spare offcuts sapwood cut out and cleaned edges -picture here is that half lamination layed ontop of cracked limb and use sharp knife to cut clean edge following my spice repair piece (make sense ?? )
next pic use a Router and freehand cut away most of the wood with the crack in middle - about 1/2mm above the lam below

(i didn't replace whole lamination as i didn't have enough sapwood spare - just enough do this half repair

Offline globalmark

very sharp Chisel - cut careful away last 1/2mm of the Lamination using flat and Pearing away wood - also use chisel as a scraper is very accurate and clean
Pic of cleaned ready to glue - 1/2 limb down to lower lamination (below lamination had NO damage or cracks)
glueing on the splice (1/2 lamination limb) - I use the spring clamps hold all in place (clingfilm - pressure strip) while i wrap in Innertube
Limb wrapped in Innertube - ready for heater

Offline globalmark

1st Pic - this is splice Glued - and cleaned up carefully using Cabinet scraper so stayed flat

i didn't take pics - but same procedure as adding Lamination before -
i took my extra Laminations i will add to the BACK , which i had already spliced together earlier - and using saw blade scratch surface for better glue join
I also Made sure splice was opposite one below so all joins DO NOT line up just a little extra strength - also made the best cleanest Lamination ontop of my splice - again make sure has best chance ..

pic of spliced Lams (the one going ontop)
Pic - of glued bow with added Laminations over whole Back - Now in hot box ..

More too come when remove tomorrow ..

Offline globalmark

Ok - Bow out of Hotbox - took off clingfilm used a rasp to clean up edges - then i have made a extra Handle plate like before and glued that on and also regaled those nocks i cut off - but due to bandsawing the nocks off i have added a slither of BONE (white ) to make up that difference ..

1st Pic - unwrapped the Innertube - ready to clean up
cleaned and ready for handle plate
slither bone glued with 5min epoxy (shape that before glueing on old nocks)
Smooth-on glued handle plate

Offline globalmark

Handle plate - cling wrapped then inner tube - smooth-on

that's all did today - hopefully in next couple days will have time to clean all that up - and get it back on tiller tree see where we are .

Offline globalmark

Handle out of Innertube - Dry
Cleaned up and shaped Handle plate - rasp , file and sandpaper
Belly of Bow - 1 limb all sanded up
Bow back on tiller Tree for last time

Offline globalmark

Decided to try a New type of arrow rest , I have done cut outs , off the hand and leather flaps - so thought i would try one those type that sits under the grip just for some light arrow support - I used a off cut of YEW again try to keep it almost pure YEW bow from same log .

Arrow rest shaped and profiled so sits perfectly on handle - will be held in with spot hot glue and the leather wrap eventually
Arrow rest
I like to Use some sanding sealer - do this with most wood work projects - just raises and seals the grain means less top coats of whatever also - quick wipe on 10mins dry and sand smooth ..
Also last minute decided to add a Arrow Plate as Yew is pretty soft and does dent and mark easily - so used thing off cut of horn (used for arrow inserts)

Offline globalmark

Glue in Arrow Plate - 5 min epoxy as normally use PVA but wanted fast work time
Filed and sanded smooth plate
Smooth - can see follows the shape of handle - i deliberately put this in so didn't ruin the shape
Both arrow plate and rest together - how will be under handle