Author Topic: FIXED - Need Help with TILLERING Yew Bow twisting string off (can't string)  (Read 8249 times)

Offline globalmark

have been making 2 yew bows out of that dodgy log (on yew Billets and Bow build post)  i was given and run into a snag that i have not come across before and thought maybe someone has ??

Bow B the worst stave - seems to have some Deflex in one limb but that's all tillered OK and actually looks like might work out

Bow A - the better stave and more Even shaped one which was 2 sister billets which have been glued together -
I mostly tillered it with a loose string , However now have come to put on a shorter string to finish the tiller and get a rough brace height and the BOW just twists opposite and the string either jumps off or just turns over .
So obviously a fault in my Tillering or a fault somewhere - - the tiller looks perfect, Shape and sizes look good with the loose string , nice even shape
the Bow is 77 1/2" so could shorten , but basically it's almost correct shape now ..
any help would be appreciated - ?

Pics of stave here

thanks Mark
« Last Edit: April 15, 2019, 12:39:28 pm by globalmark »

Offline bradsmith2010

maybe try bracing it a bit higher,,

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
Your picture on the long string looks pretty good.  The s-shape and reflex could be making things difficult to brace. I agree with Brad. It might help to shorten up your string and raise your brace height.  Reflexed bows can be really tricky to brace. They usually make less trouble at a higher brace height. Low brace and the string likes to flip off side.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline goomba

Is the string centered where your bow hand will go?

Offline globalmark

Hi Guys

Thanks for the reply
i tried a couple times shorter string (tie a few knots in one) but didn't seem to help as really hard to string it trying to twist in Hand (tried with bow stringer) before even get that far .

on the tiller tree with Long string its' perfect but i had it held in the tree with a block and wedge .

Goomba - yes pretty close to centre of handle the string passes over - when i glued 2 halves together i cut the splices as well as possible to make sure it would ..

Maybe to Long ? - someone has suggested tips might be to stiff ? what do you think ?

Offline DC

When I'm tillering a reflexed bow like that I glue(5 min epoxy) a flat piece of wood the width of the saddle on your tree to the belly side of the handle. It stops it from rolling over until I can get it do a decent brace height. If you have two or three inches of reflex your string alignment only has to be out a hair for it to flip over when you first start pulling it. Once you get it somewhat past straight it usually settles down

Offline globalmark

HI DC

Thanks for the reply - that makes perfect sense - it looks (as hard to tell exactly) as the string line goes through to handle middle - i will have a closer look - but at moment when swap the loose string for the shorter one to brace hasn't settled down - just guess will have to fettle the tiller or make tiny adjustments ..
unless you have another idea ??

Offline DC

I've noticed that some bows just don't bend in the direction you expect them to. If you put a short long string on it, it will probably twist in your hand when you draw it. Does it always twist the same direction? That may give you a clue as to which way the alignment is out.
Is it bending thought the handle? If so I would wrap the splice with something. I haven't had good luck bending splices :(

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
It will twist towards the strong side so remove wood from the other side on both limbs. 

I've had staves wanting to do that on the rope and pulley.

That's how I solved that problem.

Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline globalmark

HI George

Can you just confirm your info as this is Opposite the Normal thing to do
a limb normally twists (bends) towards the weak side so you remove wood from the stronger side -which is opposite
that's what it says in this sticky - and how i always understood it ??
http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,27206.0.html

but you are saying the opposite - or is this just confusion how its written ??
cheers Mark

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
BTW... I have offered advice in a PM.  :)
Didn't want you guys thinking I was slacking off ;D
I just wanted to see what eveyone else thought as it seemed like a whole stack of problems!  >:D
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline globalmark

HI Guys

I want to  really Thank everyone for there suggestions - i think in the end i did most of them - which sorted it
only thing I didn't do is Shorten , I kept full length ..

Steamed little recurve out of the bow - straightened one limb little , shortened the string and also scraped little wood off part of the stronger side of one limb , also scraped little the sapwood where was a bit uneven .
now sits in my hand (can hold loose when draw back no twist at all.

But put back in the Tiller and interesting changed that a fair bit - pictures are immediate after remove from steam bend - 2 pics as reversed bow on tree and looks different also .

1st Pic - looks odd , but could only steam one limb at a time due to set up , so clamped one and was able to steam other while first was clamped
4x2 - plus clamps and blocks for steaming
after steam and straighten - string line over exact centre
centre
so will will go back to Bow build and put more info there if anyone was following that ...

Offline globalmark

Shape of bow less recurve after steam
bow braced
bow braced
Bow Braced

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
Looking good... :)
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline globalmark

Straighter shape
straighter shape
Bow braced and on tree immediate after steam
Bow Braced and on tree after steam - reversed

Interesting after steam has effected shape quite bit - and one side to other sports different ..