Author Topic: Six rivercanes for no kiddin  (Read 8035 times)

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
Six rivercanes for no kiddin
« on: May 06, 2019, 05:49:05 am »
I really like this rivercane. It straightens nice and stays straight. I wanted to make some shorter arrows for my 48" bendy "No Kiddin".
Shafts are 26" and pretty stiff. I used a six inch pole barn spike that I cut at about four inches maybe. I cut them to 12 to 13 grams. I don't have a grain scale but I think that's somewhere around 170- 185 grains. I shot them bareshafted till I got point weight right. Then I glued point in with gorilla super glue. Shafts are wrapped with deer sinew front and back. Bjrogg markings and wild turkey fletch. 3 1/2" fletch cut by hand pretty short. They fly nice but some do make a bit of noise. I think it's the nodes. I'm hesitant to file them to much. The last three I filed nodes down a little more and they are quite.
Here's a look
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Hawkdancer

Re: Six rivercanes for no kiddin
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2019, 09:54:32 am »
Real nice!  Thanks for the node filing info!  I have to work down some cane, and will try duplex nail points.  Got to get some of that Gorilla super  glue, too. 
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2019, 10:29:03 am »
Jerry I really don't know what you can get away with filling nodes. I try to do the minimum amount I can.
Bjrogg

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2019, 11:46:00 am »
Nice looking arras BJ
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2019, 12:16:29 pm »
Great job! they look deadly!
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2019, 01:55:59 pm »
Thanks Bill but yours are the best. Just love em.

Deerhunter21 there supposed to be target arrows. Sure hope there not deadly.lol. Everyone be careful downrange.lol. I think I know what your saying though. Thanks

Bjrogg

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2019, 06:24:40 am »
yea, you know what I meant. ;D saying an arrow, no matter how sharp couldn't hurt or kill, is like saying a 22lr couldn't kill. we just have to be careful!  :OK :NN
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Offline 1442

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2019, 06:34:39 am »
beautiful arrows
I always rasp the nodes as flat to the shaft as I can on river cane shafts and have never had a problem with them breaking.
I have some I will take a pic of then do a bend test on a couple just to see if they break at the node or in between.
I'm betting they kink and break between the nodes.
Have to wait until this evening unless the rain moves in around noon like they are predicting, and rains us out.

Offline 1442

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2019, 07:10:59 am »
my help just texted and is gonna be an hour late so I did the bend test real quick.
This is just some pics of the nodes flattened and then I held them by the ends and bent them til they broke.
They all broke between the nodes.
These shafts are at the stage where I like to bare shaft test them before I do anymore work on them
I have had them break at the nodes while bareshaft testing if they hit at 45 degrees.

Offline 1442

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2019, 07:12:14 am »
mo

Offline 1442

« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2019, 07:13:00 am »
2mo

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2019, 07:24:25 am »
I'll be careful deerhunter21. We'll be fine. Thanks again.

Thanks 1442. That's really nice to know. Don't know why I didn't think of doing a bend and break test myself. I'll be straightening and filling my nodes from now on. I don't like the tick noise the nodes make if I don't. I prefer silent death. Unseen and unheard.
Bjrogg

Offline DC

« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2019, 08:47:35 am »
I may have asked this before but is there a lot of difference between cane and bamboo garden stakes? Could Joe Blow tell the difference between them? Stiffer? Maybe crush easier? Anything?

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2019, 09:26:12 am »
I may have asked this before but is there a lot of difference between cane and bamboo garden stakes? Could Joe Blow tell the difference between them? Stiffer? Maybe crush easier? Anything?

DC I've never had bamboo so take this with a grain of salt. I seem to remember people saying it's really hard to straighten? I think maybe stiff to? I'd like to know also.
Bjrogg

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2019, 09:58:32 am »
There is a sticky up on the garden stakes, I think.  Cane is a bamboo, so the difference is probably quality control, and the number of stakes you have to sort through to find the straightest batch.  Then the rest of the work should be the same.
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry