Author Topic: Frustrated...  (Read 4740 times)

Offline sleek

Re: Frustrated...
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2019, 03:37:45 pm »
Having never put glass on the back only, I am going from what I read. Glass overpowers the belly, and causes the belly to fail miserably in compression. I'm not being a purist or anything, I'm just not getting why a glass back is recommended when it ruins the belly and turns the bow into a slug. Certainly poor performance from a bow will demotivate a new guy who would otherwise be excited to continue. Thats my only point, why encourage people to fail.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline bubby

« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2019, 05:51:46 pm »
Sleek, if you take the glass for building a traditional fibreglass bow it will overpower the belly. I know a guy that makes his own glass and it doesn't seem to have any disadvantages. Not everything is cut and dried. Also the only glass I've seen on poor folks bows is the mesh fg sheetrock tape. But i have not checked his site out in years
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2019, 04:16:45 pm »
I know bow making pretty well, what it is, people offer an opinion not knowledge from something they actually did themselves.

You should see what people suggest on the facebook selfbow sites, the bottom line is they don't have a clue but are quick to give advice. I always counter with "SAY WHAT" and tell them the right way to do what they want to know.

One guy showed how he removed scales from snakeskins glued on the back of a bow, he scrubbed the skin with a wire brush. He said you couldn't tell the difference once you got the finish on but it probably wouldn't be a good idea on a thin skin like a copperhead.

After I spend $100 for snake skins I am not about to go over them with a wire brush.

Offline JEB

« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2019, 03:08:49 am »
You will find as you get older you don't get worked up as much about what others do.  At 70 plus I just tell folks to, go for it.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2019, 03:58:37 am »
You will find as you get older you don't get worked up as much about what others do.  At 70 plus I just tell folks to, go for it.

That's always a lesson they will remember
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline JEB

« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2019, 05:04:07 am »
Brian I can't tel you how much my life and attitude has changed since March 24th.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2019, 06:04:08 am »
I am 70 plus as well but hate to see folk led astray by bad advice.

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2019, 06:27:54 am »
On the bright side, information on almost anything can be found on the net today.  Anything.  So different than when we were growing up.  Just have to use some common sense to filter out the garbage.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline Woodely

« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2019, 10:21:07 am »
Having never put glass on the back only, I am going from what I read. Glass overpowers the belly, and causes the belly to fail miserably in compression. I'm not being a purist or anything, I'm just not getting why a glass back is recommended when it ruins the belly and turns the bow into a slug. Certainly poor performance from a bow will demotivate a new guy who would otherwise be excited to continue. Thats my only point, why encourage people to fail.
I have one bow with a Glass back,  seems fine just have to tune it a bit;  take off more material near the tips, other than that it shoots quite well.  Its all Maple and the belly is holding up so far.  And as far as been a purist I build bows differently,  I use A polyester backing material, Why...?  because its strong and there is no denying that.  Just because its a wood bow for the most part I don't have to appease others and keep it totally organic. 

As far as posting bows on here I'll keep it "O" naturel...…...
"Doing bad work is an exercise in futility, but honestly making mistakes is trying your best."