Author Topic: General shave horse questions  (Read 3610 times)

Offline DC

General shave horse questions
« on: May 09, 2019, 11:47:55 am »
I just made a shave horse and I'm not really excited with how well it works for tillering scraping and rasping. For using a draw knife it would be excellent as that's what it was designed for I believe. My rasping pushes the bow sideways. I put some pins in the table for the bow to lean against but I still don't get a warm, fuzzy feeling when I'm using it. I see pictures on the net of guys using a rasp on a shave horse but maybe they're just not as fussy as me. Am I just SOL or is there some tricks so I can use this more like a bench vice? I'll post a pic so you can see what I'm working with and maybe suggest some improvements.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: General shave horse questions
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2019, 02:39:15 pm »
I have several and use them from time to time but still prefer my vice, guess it is all in what you are use to. Nice looking bench all the same. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2019, 02:52:19 pm »
you could put some blocks on the sides of the bow, but make it a snug fit!
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Offline DC

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2019, 03:36:53 pm »
That's what the pins I mentioned are for. You can see one of them sticking up from the deck.

Offline ohma2

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2019, 09:19:26 am »
Its one of those things you like or dont and i dont.like pappy i like a good solid mounted vice in an open area that i can move around .i have one on a bench and one outside the shop door on a steel post  where i can work outside.
whats more i dont have to worry about letting off foot preasure and getting rammed in the gut for doing so.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2019, 10:06:55 am »
I always thought they might work nice for chasing a ring. That's something I have a hard time holding in vice. I've never used one though. Never made one because of the space they'd take up. Would be nice and portable. I know Ksnow has a couple. One that actually stands up if I remember correctly. It wouldn't take as much floor space. I do like a vice for most work though.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2019, 11:07:52 am »
For rasp work I hold the bow in the vice, with an off-cut of carpet to protect it. I have a movable rest clamped to the bench to support the bow about 2' further along the bench.
it's a matter of horses for courses (dunno if you have that expression on your side of the pond ;D )
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline DC

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2019, 01:43:13 pm »
We have our Cumberland bowyers gathering coming up soon and I thought it would be handy. There was a couple of them there last year and they seemed to work well. I've made some more mods to it and it seems to be getting better. I got rid of the toothed work post and dog. It wasn't adjustable in fine enough steps. I went with the historic ramp and wedge type. They are infinitely adjustable. I'm also in the process of of adding a forth leg. I thought the tripod idea was good but the main body flexes too much. Four legs should be much more stable. It's a fun project.

Offline DC

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2019, 07:41:35 pm »
Here it is. The Mk II. Four legs, ramp and wedge, dogleg in the levers and a big clunky soft cedar block that will be gentle on Yew. Solid like rock. I can rasp and scrape on it. Life 'is' good. ;D ;D

PS, I think I will make the seat longer so i can sit on either side.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2019, 09:53:40 pm »
Nice rework and adjustment!  Looks like you forgot the beverage holder, though! >:D :BB
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline DC

« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2019, 10:12:17 pm »
MkIII ;)

Offline DC

« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2019, 09:06:43 am »
Nice rework and adjustment!  Looks like you forgot the beverage holder, though! >:D :BB
Hawkdancer

In liu of the new Canadian cannabis laws ;D ;D ;D

Offline ksnow

« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2019, 05:36:22 am »
I've never been happy trying to file/rasp on a shave horse, They were designed for use with pulling tools. I do have a stave clamp that I stand up at, and the stave is held down by ropes, this design seems to work for both push and pull types. I haven't posted pics in a while, but I'll see if I can dig a few up. Or, here's the link to an old thread about that design.

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,61151.msg854435.html#msg854435

Offline DC

« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2019, 08:40:30 am »
I remember seeing that. It might be worth making up one just in case the horse doesn't work. It's supposed to rain so I'm going to be testing the horse instead of yard work.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2019, 10:00:19 am »
DC I've heard that last modification should make all your troubles go away. Or at least make you forget them.lol
Bjrogg
PS made me chuckle anyway.
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise