Author Topic: what should I charge?  (Read 6413 times)

Offline Bayou Ben

Re: what should I charge?
« Reply #30 on: May 08, 2019, 01:50:56 pm »
sometimes gifting a bow to the boss,,, can be more benificial in the long run,, just a thought,, )P(
That's what I was thinking too.....

Offline jeffp51

« Reply #31 on: May 08, 2019, 02:15:46 pm »
Thought about that too,  but it sounds like they are also looking for a business write off (how to use a bow in a therapy business, I don't know)--but the husband is also a bow hunter, so. . .  Anyway, I am thinking about telling them that similar bows sell from between $300 and $1200 dollars, and let them name their own price--although if they were to try to offer me $1200 I would have to talk them down a bit.

Offline sleek

« Reply #32 on: May 08, 2019, 02:27:02 pm »
What's he wanting and have you made one like that before?
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #33 on: May 08, 2019, 02:40:49 pm »
Honesty is the best policy here.  Let them know your skill level, share with them your intentions as to what you expect to end up with if all goes according to plan, and how long it will take.  If they are eager at that point, then it's all on the table.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline Weylin

« Reply #34 on: May 08, 2019, 03:03:19 pm »
There are a lot of good thoughts here. I think Hamish has a lot of great points that I would agree with. If you're just selling one or two and not making a habit of it I think you can get away with doing whatever feels comfortable for you and the other party.

Pricing self bows is a funny thing. There are people with weird ideas about selling self bows. They get some purist ideas about what should and shouldn't be done. I don't really get it. You don't see these attitudes with other types of crafts like bladesmithing or furniture making. No one gives people a hard time for selling these things at a price to make a living. Like Pearl Drums said, if you make good bows then don't worry about selling them.

When I price my bows Here are the things I have to consider... The true value of the wood (not necessarily what it cost me, but what it's worth if I sold it), the time it's going to take me to make it from start to finish, including extra stuff like recurves, skins, overlays, etc. ( what's your time really worth? don't give it away. Your expertise is worth something. You're not flipping burgers), I have to account for an occasional failed stave or aborted project, I have to pay an 11% federal excise tax on every bow I sell on top of my regular income taxes (that adds up fast over the course of a year), as a business I have to take into account all of the ancillary activity that I do that I'm not getting paid for (cutting staves, paperwork, errands, etc.) There are probably more things that I'm not thinking of off hand but you get the idea. I charge a high price for my bows and I'm not ashamed. I've spent years refining my craft (and I continue to do so). People value what they spend their hard earned money on and I'm not getting rich doing this. I can't control the fact that some people are willing to do highly skilled work for peanuts. I just focus on making the best bows I possibly can and I'm grateful that enough people recognize the hard work and expertise that goes into that they are willing to pay what I ask for them.

Offline Bayou Ben

« Reply #35 on: May 08, 2019, 03:44:04 pm »
It doesn't take much figuring to realize that people aren't getting rich off of selling hand made bows.
(15 hours, on the short end)x($25/hr, on the low end)= $375
Material sell price= ~$100
You're at $500 and that's if you are hustling and accepting a low wage considering your expertise and that you probably aren't doing this 40 hours a week.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #36 on: May 08, 2019, 06:48:26 pm »
Thanks Weylin for sharing your perspective on this topic. It seems odd to me that people are alright with a trade, but not a sale. Some people like to trade with money. That is kinda what it's made for.lol

I wish you the best of luck in you business endeavor. I've never met you or even held one of your bows, but I'm sure there worth every penny and more. You are a very talented, artistic hard working bowyer. Your work deserves to be available to the Archery World.
Bjrogg

A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #37 on: May 08, 2019, 08:39:12 pm »
I sell some and give some away. I always test the potential buyer. Sometimes I recommend a glass bow cause they are not ready for a selfbow quite yet. Wooden bows need some cares that a glass bow does not. I would rather not make a sell to a inexperienced archer. Purist has nothing to do with it. I just don't like seeing a good bow be ruined do to neglect. As for price. Well a dog is a dog no matter what it looks like. By the way I have built some dogs in the past! They did not bring much either. I know if you donate a good one at a place where there is a bunch of bowyers bidding it won't bring much. ;D But then it was a donation. So what it brings don't matter much. I think the 300-1200 falls true. Wish a good performer brought $1200. Arvin
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
« Reply #38 on: May 09, 2019, 09:03:06 am »
Arvin makes a good point, some people just arent ready to take care of a wooden bow.
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Offline jeffp51

« Reply #39 on: May 13, 2019, 02:49:37 pm »
What's he wanting and have you made one like that before?

My wife showed him the bows I had posted to facebook--which are actually more the first few bows I ever made, so I have actually improved quite a bit since then, I think.

Weylin, your bows are all masterpieces--at least the ones you post.  You deserve whatever you can get out of one.

Offline GlisGlis

« Reply #40 on: May 14, 2019, 08:50:03 am »
Anyway, I am thinking about telling them that similar bows sell from between $300 and $1200 dollars, and let them name their own price--although if they were to try to offer me $1200 I would have to talk them down a bit.

i think it could be better if you set your price. If you are in the mood of selling it looks more professional in my opinion otherwise may be seen as looking for charity and may lead to difficult relations if they offer too high or too low price

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #41 on: May 14, 2019, 09:09:23 am »
ok u ask what should you charge, I skipped all around that answer,,
I think you should charge 500,,,if he thinks its to much,, then just give him one,, thats what I think,, :NN

Offline kbuggie

« Reply #42 on: May 14, 2019, 10:07:44 am »
Perspective from a newbie, who lives far west of the bow jams/gatherings....
First, I'm intrigued by the "trade" culture of this forum. I'm more comfortable with the "trade for money" concept, but I'll get used to it and maybe drive east to a gathering and face to face interaction with you'all.

Second, the prices for finished bows seem really cheap to me.  Especially when compared to any entry level compound bow, even the top shelf primitive bow prices are reasonable.

Third, the $300 price range seems incredibly low since nearly all osage staves online are around $120 plus $40 shipping.

Fourth, I've lusted after nearly all of Weylins bows, and was floored when I saw his bow ad on Etsy.  I figured he'd be charging in the price range of pine hollow longbow custom bow price.  Again, back to second point, I can't believe I could buy 2 Swiftwood bows for less than the $ I've invested in a mediocre compound bow I use for elk (still trying to make the switch to hunting with traditional bow, but that's another thread topic.

Also, I would love to trade $$ for an original Krewson gizmo if anyone has leads to a listing