Author Topic: Plant id help  (Read 33200 times)

Offline Jakesnyder

Plant id help
« on: May 29, 2019, 09:54:33 am »
Heres a couple common plant/weeds that grow in western pa. Can anyone tell me what they are? I'm still trying to learn what's in my area.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Plant id help
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2019, 10:35:07 am »
The first one looks like dock(curly possibly) the second one could possibly be a milkweed. Break a leaf and if milky substance comes out then it is milkweed.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Jakesnyder

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2019, 03:49:41 pm »
Does dock have any good uses? Is it edible? The second one doesnt have any Milky substance coming out of it. Any other idea?

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2019, 04:43:35 pm »
Jake, I'm going to say dock also, and the second photo looks like NewYork Ironweed. If it is it will get pretty tall and have a purple flower late in the yr, August early Sept. Bob

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2019, 04:50:12 pm »
Do the leaves come off the stalk in a whirl, on the same plain or are they opposite or alternate? A pic from the side will show probably.
 I don't think it's NY ironweed. We have it here and it isn't the same.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2019, 06:06:01 pm »
Pat, went back outside and your right not Ironweed, I have I believe the same plant as Jake . Long 6 x 1 inch entire leave very slightly toothed 3 parrell ribs also alternate and no stem and not clasped. My new guess,  Aster or possible one of the many goldenrods, Way to many aster and golden rods for my amateur plant mind. This one is going to bother me because I have this plant in abundance and know it but no flower at this time so drawing a blank. Sorry Jake for the highjack, Bob
« Last Edit: May 29, 2019, 06:12:10 pm by Outbackbob48 »

Offline Jakesnyder

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2019, 05:13:34 am »
Anyone know uses for these 2? I'm going to do some tests with fibers from them to see the strength as far as cordage. I'm kind of trying to find some plant fibers that would be strong enough for a bow string. No yucca in these parts. Just trying to learn some of what was lost and forgotten from these parts.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2019, 05:30:36 am »
The first looks like dock to me.
The second look like either goldenrod or marestail. A little hard to tell apart from pictures.
I don't know any uses but that doesn't mean there aren't any
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2019, 05:44:43 am »
Jake, if you want a strong string try stinging nettles or dogbane , you can also eat the nettles but DO NOT EAT DOGBANE, Bob

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2019, 07:08:20 am »
Dock has medicinal uses as an antifungal wash. Without identifying the other it's hard to say.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2019, 10:48:51 am »
Seem to remember dock was used as greens by some folks, though not the best choice.  Supposedly similar to rhubarb, the roots have medicinal uses, and dye makng(yellow).  Related to sorrel.  I Need to get a better plant id book! 
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Jakesnyder

« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2019, 11:37:21 am »
Is this stinging nettle?

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2019, 12:47:22 pm »
Jake, not stinging nettles, it is hard to ID plants from pics alone but my guess is Wild Lettuce or some type of Thistle. Bob

Offline Jakesnyder

« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2019, 01:09:07 pm »
Bummer. I guess I need to get a book. Or find someone in my area that I can learn from

Offline Azmdted

« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2019, 02:29:35 pm »
I’m fairly new to Maryland from Arizona and still trying to figure out all these eastern things here. There’s an app called ‘Picture This’ which is sometimes a good source for plant ID to me.  It’s best if there’s a flower, but for free it’s worth a shot. Just snap a photo in the app and it will tell you what it thinks.  It might help you get closer to positive IDs.