Author Topic: Plant id help  (Read 33208 times)

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
Re: Plant id help
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2019, 06:20:00 pm »
Not nettles. I'm thinking bull thistle. I'll see if I can remember to get a picture of nettles tomorrow.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Jakesnyder

« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2019, 03:00:02 am »
Would you want to send me some raw nettles? Would they last without being processed for a while?  I'd pay shipping.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2019, 03:53:07 am »
Jake I really don't know. I've been thinking about giving them a try. Usually they are past their prime by now but they have been very slow this year. I've never tried them. I believe you blanch them or let them wilt? I should look up again. I believe you want the young tender ones or the tender tops of more mature ones. Maybe someone else could give more information.
I think I have a picture of a bow I put snake skins on with young nettles in background I'll look.
Bjrogg

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2019, 04:02:35 am »
The plant by the tip of bow is a young nettles plant. From my understanding this is the best stage of growth to eat it. As it grows it gets very tall. The leaves elongate and it has little "whiskers" that sting you. It's instantly a itchy slightly painful sting that takes awhile to go away. Learned very young what it was if you know what I mean. Probably why I've never got the nerve up to use it yet. Are you going to eat it or use it for fiber?
Bjrogg
PS it looks a little bit like what we call "cat nip" at this young stage but quickly grow taller and leave stretch out longer.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2019, 04:05:55 am by bjrogg »

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2019, 05:12:47 am »
Jake, Nettles seem to grow well along rivers and creek bottoms, I am sure you have them in your area of Pa. I usually pick a big ole burdock leaf and use for a glove to pick nettles, I like to get them when young and tender, You can still eat when mature just pick the tender tops, I have no experience with nettle cordage but have made some really strong cordage with dogbane. Bob

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2019, 05:55:32 am »
I agree with Outback. If you have dogbane it makes excellent cordage and it works quite easy.

Outback how do you prepare your nettles for eating? I suppose I could go to the cooking section and find a thread there.
Bjrogg

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2019, 08:47:38 am »
BJ, there are lots of fancy recipes but I just pick and wash and steam or wilt them for 5 minutes or so and then a big pad of butter. I really like them with a nice deer chops and a couple of eggs in the morning. My wife sometimes cooks them in oil and a few spices, they all seem to be good. Bob

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2019, 09:10:33 am »
Thanks Bob. My main concern was getting rid of the stinging part. If I understand correctly then just letting them wilt down cures that problem. I've avoided the stuff like the plague for the last 50 years. I still remember that feeling from the stinger. at least I think I do.lol
bjrogg

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2019, 01:26:21 pm »
BJ, takes me back to my youth, fishing along the creeks with just a pair shorts an run into a patch of stinging nettles, didn't take long to lather up with some good creek mud to kinda ease the sting, :o  I think we kinda got use to them after awhile. ;D Bob

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2019, 01:48:57 pm »
Yup outback that's the same cure we used.
Bjrogg

Offline Jakesnyder

« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2019, 02:50:45 pm »
Hey guys thanks for the info!

Offline paulc

« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2019, 06:58:42 pm »
there are several plant ID apps available online.  The one I use is free, or at least I haven't given them any money yet.  PlantSnap in playstore.  Paul

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2019, 02:50:22 pm »
PlantSnap is a real good , free App. I use it a lot. Just take a photo of the plant and it will tell you what it is or the family it is in.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Allynhirsch

« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2020, 11:58:24 am »
Original post, second pic looks like goldenrod.

Offline dylanholderman

« Reply #29 on: July 18, 2020, 07:09:26 am »
your last picture is just a thistle of some kind, not sure what type but i have a bunch of it growing in my back yard  ;D