Author Topic: Bowaholics Support Thread  (Read 202735 times)

Offline Keenan

Bowaholics Support Thread
« on: April 11, 2008, 01:08:22 pm »
  I've decide that it's time to reach out.  ;D I know there are others that are struggling as well. :-[ :-[  A couple years ago I made a new friend (Juniper Junkie)  Unlike most of my other bowaholic friends, JJ lives close enough to be a huge influence on my life. At first it seemed like everything was healthy in our friendship. Talking bows and practicing shooting once a week to stay honed. But as time went on He became a very close friend and we started to share secrets. >:D >:D  We both have jobs that sometimes alow us to sneak off and explore our surrounding areas in search of wood, stone and hunting grounds. At first my wife thought "oh good, now he has someone to go with him"  but then she started getting suspicious when I'd answere the phone and she here wind blowing and birds singing in the background.
  I first realized I had a problem when I would wait or my phone to ring hoping it was JJ instead of a customer. ??? But soon i decided I didn't have to wait for JJ and I started sneaking out on my own.
 Today is a new day and I'm going out to the shop. I plan to keep the doors open and work on steel today. My hope are that the cold raw steel will keep me from being drawn to the warm touch, smell and beauty of the wood. :D 
 I know there are others struggling as well. Don't hide any more. This is your thread to open up and recieve help ;D
« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 02:09:08 pm by jackcrafty »

Offline John K

Re: Bowaholics Support thread
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2008, 01:22:03 pm »
I find myself not eating or sleeping just dreaming about bows and arrows  ::) Is there help for me  ???
The only way to fail is to never start !

Offline Keenan

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2008, 01:27:16 pm »
 John, Are you dreaming and thinking about one bow or are you thinking that you need one of every Kind? We will need to assess how far along the disease has progressed.  keenan

Offline DanaM

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2008, 01:35:03 pm »
Dear Keenan

Not sure what to do, my basement shop is flooded so no bow work this weekend, I found a place to cut some wood
but we have a late season snow storm with high winds, so it would be unadvisable to cut trees. I'm desperate for a fix don't think
I can make it through the weekend. What should I do??? Please help :-[
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2008, 01:38:57 pm »
Keenan, I've been a sick puppy for many years now. It all started back in the mid 80s with Jay Massey's book, "The Bowyers Craft" and has progressively gotten worse. Is there hope for a cure...I sure hope NOT!!! ;D
  With friends like all of you guys, who needs enemas.  ;D    Pat

ps. Dana, think pasties and malt beverages. ;D
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Keenan

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2008, 01:41:59 pm »
 Just take small steps Dana, don't look at the whole weekend picture, just one day at a time. Sometimes just hour by hour. Set small goals. Be content with maybe taking some spray paint and marking the trees and where you want to cut but try to leave the saw at home this time.  :D

Offline Keenan

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2008, 01:43:47 pm »
 Pat, Some of us are to far down the road and can only warn others of the risk. Be strong and share your struggle. ;)

Offline John K

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2008, 01:45:31 pm »
John, Are you dreaming and thinking about one bow or are you thinking that you need one of every Kind? We will need to assess how far along the disease has progressed.  keenan

I'm dreaming of one of every kind, sometimes two of every kind. Flipping through the pages of Primitve Archer hekps for a little while  :'(

Offline TRACY

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2008, 01:57:46 pm »
My name is Tracy and I'm a bowaholic. It gets so bad that I find excuses to go to the basement(aka bowyers workshop) to work on fixing little things in the house and don't surface for hours later sometimes. What should I do? Do I need help?
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline Keenan

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2008, 02:15:08 pm »
  Dear John,  ;D  Your fairly advanced and need immediate help.   Wanting to taste and feel every kind of bow is a sure indication that your hooked and can't help yourself. ;D You need friends around you or you will never succeed. train up as many as you can and soon you can touch, hold and even shoot thier bows as well as your own. :o :o
 Tracy  This is known as basement binges. Isolation is never good. Set small goals and find a friend to help you keep you from isolating. Left alone you could slip into staring for long periods at the corner of shame bows. and that leads to hallucinations and thoughts that they might still make a bow.   ;) 

Dustybaer

« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2008, 02:39:40 pm »
dear keenan,

my addiction started 4 years ago (but of course i didn't realize it was an addiction at the time).  i was gradually sucked into it by so-called friends who couldn't suffer anybody around them that was not addicted.  the climax of my addiction was reached at a gathering of bowaholics of the worst kind, down south, in the rural areas of tennessee.  some truly evil characters had lured me in with free lodging and food and even had free samples of my favorite drug waiting for me.  i was naive enough to swallow it hook, line and sinker and the first time i saw thru the scam was at the nashville airport, when heavy withdrawl symptoms shook my body and mind.  i went public shortly thereafter and i got a lot of sympathy from fellow bowaholics, but ultimately i have to cope with my addiction all by myself.  i am in dire need of your assistance, since i'm dying to get back to that evil place in tennessee for another fix.

Offline Keenan

« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2008, 03:21:45 pm »
Dusty, You are not alone. We've been able to identify many of these same type of backwoods operations taking place.Many respectfull buisness men /women and profesionals have beenlured in and led down the same path. Befor they knew they had a problem, they were going around without shoes and reverting back to animal skins. Often they would shun the supermarket and wander the hills foraging for food. Some never shave and grow long beard trying to blend in with the enviorment to stay hidden.
 We have planted some people on the inside but they often are obsorbed and persaded to that way of thinking. I've even heard reports that the numbers are growing at alarming rates. ;D

Tare

« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2008, 03:28:24 pm »
Dont laugh at me...but...my eyes got misty reading this. Kind of strange, huh?

Offline John K

« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2008, 03:30:45 pm »
Showing you'r emotions is just part of the healing process  ;D

Offline Keenan

« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2008, 03:37:41 pm »
Don't hold it inTare. You need to let it out. ;) It's going to be ok. Most of those affected do gain some control and develope coping methods. Most often live longer due to the decrease of stress in thier life. ;D