Author Topic: Bowaholics Support Thread  (Read 204861 times)

Offline Keenan

Re: Bowaholics Support thread
« Reply #120 on: March 28, 2009, 12:09:47 am »
  JW  Ten bows that are partly done can soon turn into 20 or 30. so to say "big deal is the start of denial. The trade off of the garage is another shift of priorities that is a tail tail sign of an addict.  The job and girlfriend is definitely a sign that you are nearing full blown intoxication and addiction. However I noticed that you didn't mention the dreams at this point so you are either in serious denial or just about to hit the dream stage ::) :-\  No matter what the case may be we do have extensive treatment programs available.  Check yourself in immediately to the twin oaks resort for your medication ;D  call me a few weeks after so we can assess your condition.

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
« Reply #121 on: March 28, 2009, 04:43:57 pm »
I don't know how it happened Dr. Keenan. But I am remiss in my addiction to bows. I just recently got introduced to kayak building and Greenland and Aluet paddle making. My bows are crying for my return but I am torn between the two addictions!!!!

Please help! What should I do!!!!  :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

David T

“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline cracker

« Reply #122 on: March 28, 2009, 05:20:57 pm »
Dear Doc last year I went to the classic and 21 bows later the craving to build a flatbow has died down considerably however the other day I accidentally clicked on the warbow area and now I seem to have a craving to build a warbow. Does this mean its to late for me? PLEASE HELP.Cracker
If we can't help each other what is the point of being here?

Offline billy bowmaker

« Reply #123 on: May 06, 2011, 09:32:08 pm »
i've got it so bad i even changed my last name to Bowmaker

this is a funny thread, but i'll wager every one of us who makes a lot of bows is OCD.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #124 on: May 08, 2011, 04:06:20 pm »
WRONG!  It's CDO.   You gotta keep the letters in alphabetical order!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

HatchA

« Reply #125 on: May 08, 2011, 04:30:00 pm »
WRONG!  It's CDO.   You gotta keep the letters in alphabetical order!

Damn Straight!!  ;D

Offline Thesquirrelslinger

Re: Bowaholics Support Thread
« Reply #126 on: March 26, 2013, 10:28:00 pm »
Oh great... I started making stickbows of BL and now I ask my parents"can I work on this" can I work on that" to go to garage to work on my bows...
I am totally addicted. I sometimes even stay up till like 2 in morning on weekends to make arrows for a bow I just finished.
WHat should I do?
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #127 on: March 27, 2013, 09:39:17 pm »
YOu are already doing it.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline rover brewer

« Reply #128 on: July 29, 2013, 07:20:25 pm »
my name is George and I am a bowaholic, have 4 finished two almost done can't seem to pass up a good deal on bow making wood , catch myself looking over every tree and thinking would that make a good bow.than any bow finished has to have arrows.
john 3:16

Offline Wylden Freeborne

• This Is Primal War
« Reply #129 on: August 02, 2013, 04:45:18 am »
it all started as a way to connect with other folks and spend time learning a new craft. then, i met this pusher who showed me this new way to scrape shavings called a "stavemaster". now i find myself keeping secrets from my friends about where yew grows.
"The end of the human race will be that it will eventually die of civilization." Emerson

Offline Badger

« Reply #130 on: October 27, 2013, 12:16:23 pm »
   After about 16 years as a serious addict I can tell you we are a hopeless lot. Just as an alcoholic cannot keep booze in the house I cannot keep wood. I chew it up faster than I can buy it. The sad part is that your resistance to the drug grows with time and you need more and more to feed your fix. I retired early so I could stay home and make bows. I have ditched all my friends to the point they stopped comming around so I could make more bows. I converted my house into a shop. I just don't see an end in sight. The only break I can from making bows is comming on here and talking about making bows. I don't even post or share my bows anymore. The real sad part is I don't want help for my addiction, I just want more wood!!!

Offline artcher1

« Reply #131 on: October 27, 2013, 02:17:14 pm »
All you guys are a sad lot ;D! Ever hear of moving on to something else...........like arrow-making >:D ;D!

Steve's right of course, going to cost you some friends and family. In my case though, I only lost the ones I wanted to lose anyhow ;). If it weren't for this addiction I won't have the good friends I have today. So take heart, there can be a flip side to this addiction..........Art

Offline 4dog

« Reply #132 on: October 28, 2013, 12:01:13 pm »
unfortunately...the flipside is hunting..with a bow you made..like the e-cig..you cant replace one addiction with more of the same.   :o
"SET" is always there !!!

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #133 on: April 28, 2016, 11:07:43 am »
  It took a long time for me to see I needed help. When I met my other half WENDY I bow hunted a lot.  That's cool, Her mother said if all he dose is deer hunt he'll be fine. The first year I was away hunting 13 week in's. I hunted local through the week, traveled on the week in's, mostly out of state.  Another 6,8 week ins scouting. Then there's gobbler season. I can count on my hand's and toe's the days I've missed gobbler hunting through the years.Then I fly fished another 8,10 week in's.

Building bows at night. That was 24 years ago 30 to 124 straight days buck hunting in 99. That's been ever year, nothing changed until  2 years ago. My RA turned serious EXSPECAILLY my left ankle.

Now 100 yards I'm not moving the next day. Now I'm confind to my shop. That's scary the last month I've flaked 50 pounds of obsidian,  Some TEXAS chert, GEORGETOWN. From the late 80's to mid. 90's I was addicted to kapping more so than building bows. I've never quit building bows.

So when my hands elbows will let me I'll be rasping. The RA

I've been addicted to herion, pills, weed through the years. I've kicked them all but bow building. Whats wrong here.

DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #134 on: April 28, 2016, 11:13:37 am »
 Sorry about that first pic. Should have been this one.

Sorry also about the pic of tips.

Osage snake bow I'm working on.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING