Author Topic: Bowaholics Support Thread  (Read 202707 times)

Offline DanaM

Re: Bowaholics Support thread
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2008, 03:56:02 pm »
Were all here for you Tare.

Your brother in addiction ;)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Tare

« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2008, 04:06:25 pm »
You guys are so funny. Yeap. I am feeling better already. Sure glad you all understand.

Aemkes

« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2008, 04:20:59 pm »
hi guys,
althoug last one broke few hours ago I think about the next one.
Is this addiction?  >:D

Offline Badger

« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2008, 04:27:08 pm »
      we all joke about it but there is a lot of truth to the addiction thing, mine started about 10 years ago and continued to get worse until this year and finally seems to be leveling off. I have taken off in the morning for 2 hour shoots and come back after midnight cause I eneded up 300 miles away looking for wood. I have left for work in the morning and ended up following tree trimming trucks. Called in sick because I was in the middle of tillering out a bow. Have taken all the seats out of my suv so I can haul more. It just goes on and on LOL. Steve

Offline Keenan

« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2008, 04:30:35 pm »
 Oh Steve, Thank you for opening up. I have done the same things :D :D I was just afraid to say how strong the cravings are. I just hope my wife dosen't see this thread....LOL..although I think she already knows my problem ::)

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2008, 08:18:36 pm »
Ahh, a place to share. I work far away from the office so they don't know all that is going on. I've found myself taking pleasure rides around the country - coming back to the jobsite with loads of rocks or logs sicking out over the tail gate (funny looks from hands). I've met with other poor folks on here that share the same affliction and have spent half days with them talking bows and arrows or gathering. I'm afraid it shall only grow worse ;D.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2008, 08:44:56 pm »
   Oh, I feel better now knowing there are other people like me. It started by chipping a simple arrowhead. Then I had to have a stick to put it on. So I saw arrows in every bush and bamboo patch I saw.
   I finished building an arrow and had to have something to shoot it with, fibreglass just didn't seem right. So, I find a little Hickory sapling and made my first bow. Gawd!, what a nite sweat I started. I can't drive down the road without seeing bows in all the trees I look at. I'm constantly looking for tall stands of Mosu Bamboo mixed in with the oaks, hickory and cedar.
   It is an addiction I finally realize I can't fight. Kinda like wanting Sturgeon skin and can't get it here (hint,hint). Heck, I've been driving around Bayou country in Louisiana today wishing I wasn't flying back after seeing all the Mulberry here.
   Is it too late, or is there help?

Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline kayakfisher

« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2008, 11:08:24 pm »
Well ! my name is Dennis and well I'm a Bowyer. Oh that wasn't so bad I have built four bows and each time I get one done I get this feeling like there is a different style that is better . So I just have to do one more. My wife tells me [aint you got enough of those things our bedroom walls look like a arsenal now, and you rub on those sticks more than you do me] and I cant help but tell her ,just one more. I think she feels she can cure me because now she says well if its one more ,then do  one for me. All I can think of is that beautifull yellow wood , and the curly shavings and fine dust it makes.I stand at work and watch the hands of the clock  move so slowly as if time stands still . Cant wait to get home ,to the beautifull yellow wood.My mind is filled with intricate designs and gracefull curves , snakeskins ,and leather ,horsehair,and paint and Finnish.The next one will be better a different design ,Finnishes a different gracefull curve.My job ,my family my life what will I do! man I need one more !
                                                                                 Dennis
The river of life twist and bends, you never know whats around the next bend till your there

Springfield Mo home of  Kids,Tomato's and Tornado's

Offline deerhunter97370

« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2008, 03:15:00 am »
I was driving through the parking lot of a mini mall in Corvallis and the elm trees used for landscaping I heard them calling to me to cut them down and bows out of them. I told my wife what the trees said and she said she didnt hear anything. Then 5 min. latter We where driving threw Oregon State University campus and the have a row of 40 foot elms(at least I think thier elms) telling me to call OSU Landscaping and ask if I can have them to make bows out of I they ever cut them down. My wife said I can do that since they are bigger. ;D Joel
Always be ready to: Preach, Pray, or Die. John Wesley

Offline juniper junkie

« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2008, 03:18:12 am »
Dear "Dr. Phil of the Shavings", I too must confess my addiction ::) Oh, it started innocently enough, just a recurve from a pawn shop. But soon I was wanting more! Found myself wondering, "could I, a meer mortal, actually make a bow"!  ???I had to try >:D to my suprise, my first attempt was a success! now to try to make a bow from all natural materials, what woods could I use? how would I start? bowyers bibles, the holy grail of bowbuilding was the answer! I was saved!!!! my first primitive bow was juniper, (go figure) and it actually was a really good shooting bow, until I let a friend of mine pull it. he pulled it back to about 31" and held it until it exploded :o I was crushed, my baby was gone, reduced to kindling. >:( but alas! I could make another one, then another, and another.... you get the picture. then what to shoot from them, no store-bought arrows, no, I would make my own ;D, then tips, I could chip them the way the indians did. I had arrived! I a completley incurable "bowaholic", and as I tell Keenan, " we're not good for each other" :D now to go forth and harvest game to make quivers, and clothing! the tipi is up and fire going, ready to cook dinner, then retire on a bed of furs :P. although I am a little chapped from my new loincloth.  :o I have to let my wife drive me, because I tend to be focused on the local trees and bushes for possible materials, wait...was that a Yew tree?? stop the truck! I'll get my handaxe!!!! I have noticed quite a bit more body hair lately......there is no cure..... ;D

Offline 1/2primitive

• Bible believing Christian
« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2008, 12:59:26 pm »
Ah yes, the simple stick and string continue to hold sway in our modern society.
I, too, am a bowaholic. But I didn't thnk I would be addicted to something this young!  ;D
    Sean
Dallas/Fort Worth Tx.

Offline Keenan

« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2008, 01:06:58 pm »
 Deerhunter ,STOP!!! DON'T DO IT!!!  OSU is the tree hugger snake pit of the world. It's a set up and a trap! Even if you gained permision, you would be filmed and crucified on prime time news. :o Put the saw down and step away!!
  JJ  is headed out in the desert today and I'm still at home looking at the "honey do" list. This is not good........Don't leave JJ...... ???   Ok back to reallity,,The truth is I have'nt told JJ that there is another freind that has conections as well. He thinks I'm just staying home to get things done around the place but my other buddy is comeing over with a truck load of Hazelnut  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D   Major score ;D ;D ;D ;D   Ssssshhhhhh

Offline huntertrapper

« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2008, 01:25:48 pm »
we have interventions at my house as to why i started sacluding myself from the "modern' world and went "wild" ;)
Modern Day Tramp

Offline kayakfisher

« Reply #28 on: April 12, 2008, 02:49:22 pm »
Do you think we can get a government grant to help us, If'n we get it we  can build more bows
        Dennis
The river of life twist and bends, you never know whats around the next bend till your there

Springfield Mo home of  Kids,Tomato's and Tornado's

Offline huntertrapper

« Reply #29 on: April 12, 2008, 03:59:42 pm »
 ;D ;D
Modern Day Tramp