Author Topic: New heat treating method??  (Read 59677 times)

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
Re: New heat treating method??
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2019, 04:22:34 pm »
  I think Billy Berger is helping him with the marketing but not the actual process. I saw some white wood bows the guy had that held a lot of reflex. I thought he was hitting in the 180's. The claim is that it will revolutionize white wood bow building.

Something I was doing 15 years ago
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Nasr

« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2019, 05:02:53 pm »

I think Billy Berger is helping him with the marketing but not the actual process. I saw some white wood bows the guy had that held a lot of reflex. I thought he was hitting in the 180's. The claim is that it will revolutionize white wood bow building.

I misunderstood I though the claim was faster as in faster then what has been achieved. I thought this because the video mentions that they can even beat fiberglass bows.

I doubt its anything we haven't heard about. If this was legit they could have shown us a few example bows with stats. Set up a chronograph and that would speak for itself. By doing this they would prove there claim without revealing anything. I saw one reading in that video and it was in the 170. I don't really think that is all that different then what people are producing here in PA.

Their biggest claim is that white woods will outperform osage with this new method. My thought is, if you are a good bowyer, there should be no difference anyway. I'm sure they have something,  but what that something is, idk.

Sleek wouldn't whatever they are doing also be applied to osage and make it even better. But then I am assuming that they are talking about some form of heat tempering.

Offline sleek

« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2019, 05:24:23 pm »

I misunderstood I though the claim was faster as in faster then what has been achieved. I thought this because the video mentions that they can even beat fiberglass bows.

I doubt its anything we haven't heard about. If this was legit they could have shown us a few example bows with stats. Set up a chronograph and that would speak for itself. By doing this they would prove there claim without revealing anything. I saw one reading in that video and it was in the 170. I don't really think that is all that different then what people are producing here in PA.

Their biggest claim is that white woods will outperform osage with this new method. My thought is, if you are a good bowyer, there should be no difference anyway. I'm sure they have something,  but what that something is, idk.

Sleek wouldn't whatever they are doing also be applied to osage and make it even better. But then I am assuming that they are talking about some form of heat tempering.

They made a statement that indicated osage only marginally benefits,  so it does seem white wood specific.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline willie

« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2019, 05:55:17 pm »
not a facebook surfer, what is the gist of his "new method"?

Offline Badger

« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2019, 06:22:15 pm »

You were the first one I thought of when I saw this. I couldn't imagine what he was doing different.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2019, 07:06:06 pm »

You were the first one I thought of when I saw this. I couldn't imagine what he was doing different.

I posted a comment on his youtube channel.  Some people have no shame

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline sleek

« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2019, 07:11:18 pm »

I posted a comment on his youtube channel.  Some people have no shame

Is it possible it's an independent discovery? That does happen quite often. I've invented plenty of things that already existed.

Offline Badger

« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2019, 07:23:01 pm »
Sleek, it is very possible that he stumbled on to something he didn't know existed but is already in use.

Offline PatM

« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2019, 07:31:00 pm »
Billy was a regular on here nearly 20 years ago.  He should know better.

Offline Santanasaur

« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2019, 07:56:08 pm »
They are being marketed as shannon fire dancer primitives by shannon outdoors. There’s more information on that site  but it’s  charlatan sales fluff like the video. Apparently he is going beyond ‘modern’ heat treating techniques and fully ‘fire hardening the wood. This makes me think he’s also cooking in resin or doing something like maelming.. It’s hard to believe he’s actually invented anything new when he won’t even say what it is he invented.

Offline Nasr

« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2019, 08:05:37 pm »
"I’m extremely excited to offer you a new type of wooden bow, a bow that will revolutionize how whitewood bows are made"

The above is a quote from The shannon outdoors website. Then goes on to say the process is some sort of heat treatment.

"The greatest advantage of Fire Dancer Bows is the transformation of the cellular structure of the wood after heat treating."

So how is it revolutionary when this is well known in the bowyer community?

Offline sleek

« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2019, 08:15:19 pm »
It does say, transforming the cellular structure  SFTER heat treating, not during or as a direct result of. 

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #27 on: August 23, 2019, 08:23:52 pm »
The cellular structure of the wood is plasticized from the heat that is already a known fact and was known when I started doing this years ago, nothing new there. 

Billy was here often enough when I, and many others, were posting heat-treated bows.  He would know better

Oh well you know what they say...imitation is the greatest form of flattery  (lol)

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Nasr

« Reply #28 on: August 23, 2019, 08:33:03 pm »
 On the same website there is a section that is called fire hardened.

" Considering the Indians applied fire hardening to practically everything and being aware that the known modern heat treating methods improve whitewood somewhat, I decided to experiment with actually fire hardening the wood."

Offline PatM

« Reply #29 on: August 23, 2019, 08:42:44 pm »
 Heat is heat.  Marc has used the bed of coals method and even before Marc,  Richard Brotzman  had an article in Instinctive Archer showing how he used a propane torch to fire harden his  bows.

Actual fire just sounds a bit more mystical.

I'm going to try using one of those parabolic mirrors and claim it's direct heat from the Sun