Author Topic: New heat treating method??  (Read 61028 times)

Offline PatM

Re: New heat treating method??
« Reply #60 on: August 25, 2019, 06:20:00 am »
I did say natural varnish/resin.    The idea was more as a study in what could be done rather than what should be done.

I'm sure you could just submerge a bow in a mixture and leave it until it saturated and then dry it out.

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
« Reply #61 on: August 25, 2019, 04:03:11 pm »
so to sum this up. this guy "comes up" with the idea of heat treating the whole stave saying it will revoulutionize primitive bow making upping the fps by a unbeliveable amount but only for white wood. This "amazing new" way to heat treat wood will out perform f********s bows and will hit above 180 fps.

i believe that we just had a discussion about how fast a bow can go. i mean DC made a bow go 193fps.
https://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,66298.0.html

the cellular structure will be changed! (already is when normally heat treated) No one else can get a bow faster without this method! (well theres marc) and no one has come up with this before! (probably didnt know this already existed)
 did i miss anything?
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Offline Badger

« Reply #62 on: August 25, 2019, 04:24:36 pm »
  I was impressed that he hit 180 with a self bow using simple reflex. That's pretty rare. The d/r design has a distinct speed advantage over simple reflexed bows. But I still can't imagine what he is doing different???

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #63 on: August 25, 2019, 06:06:19 pm »
  I was impressed that he hit 180 with a self bow using simple reflex. That's pretty rare. The d/r design has a distinct speed advantage over simple reflexed bows. But I still can't imagine what he is doing different???

He didn't say how heavy his arrows were so he could be using 9 or 8 gpp arrows, not too hard to hit 180's with 8 gpp
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #64 on: August 25, 2019, 06:38:34 pm »
  Deerhunter,
                       The aboriginals have been fire hardening wood before we were thought of...Nothing new under the Sun according to my favorite book...Some will rewrite history at times...Maybe they have a rediscovery? I will be patient and see...
                                                                                                                                                                               Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline Deerhunter21

« Reply #65 on: August 25, 2019, 08:05:48 pm »
Yea don i know. Thats kinda why im frustrated. We know how its done and how it was done and hes acting like it was all his idea. I might have been overeacting but i dont like the idea of someone taking an idea and saying that its theirs. But your right, we just have to be patient.

Offline Jjpso

« Reply #66 on: August 26, 2019, 06:16:49 am »
ttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRbwCgvTIys

Offline NicAzana

« Reply #67 on: August 26, 2019, 06:59:26 am »
He mentions stabilizing the wood, and making it hydrophopic, in this video. It certainly sounds a lot like this 'malming' process..
time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #68 on: August 26, 2019, 07:20:39 am »
Just my impression, but this seems aimed at the green novice guys just getting started, marketing to them a DVD on how to make white wood bows,and with this revolutionary process, they will be faster than Osage.  My guess is you gotta buy the DVD to learn the secrets.  The secrets are things probably commonly known to most folks already building bows.  Advertising it as a mystical ancient long forgotten art, is the hook.  Color me skeptical, but open minded.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2019, 07:36:56 am by SLIMBOB »
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline NicAzana

« Reply #69 on: August 26, 2019, 07:33:24 am »
Yeah, I'm thinking there might actually be some interesting approach to or further development to already existing and well-known techniques.

This whole marketing approach is giving me a bad taste in my mouth though ..

.. but frankly also a little bit of a laugh. Look at that Primitive Pathways guy's face in those 'hero shots' where they are shooting their bows. He trying so hard to look badass, but he actually looks more like he really needs to visit the bathroom ;)
time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana

Offline Santanasaur

« Reply #70 on: August 26, 2019, 09:18:44 am »
“Best self bows ever” Really? You’d think the guy was selling clam chowder. “Completely impervious to moisture” Come on, really? He clearly knows too much about making bows not to know these are ridiculous claims. Ridiculous claims need ridiculous evidence.  At best he has something to say about his refinements to the heat treating process, but that doesn’t warrant talking like he does. The language in the videos and on the website is consistently marketing-oriented, so I find it hard to believe that suddenly when it comes to the one topic of heat treating we’re getting straight talk.

Offline Deerhunter21

« Reply #71 on: August 26, 2019, 11:30:42 am »
He says "the wood becomes hydrophobic" and then goes to explain that that stoppes it from taking set? That is definentially not true. The bow dosnt take set only because of moisture! Get this guy over to my debate class!  >:D i really hope i heard that wrong!

Offline DC

« Reply #72 on: August 26, 2019, 11:54:45 am »
I think most of you guys are trying to read to much into a commercial. This is all hype to get you to buy a DVD. He's deliberately exaggerating to catch your attention. The only thing to do is wait until the DVD is available and see exactly what he's offering. In a way you're actually helping him by creating controversy around his "system". Any press is good press. 

Offline paulsemp

« Reply #73 on: August 26, 2019, 12:35:45 pm »
 considering primitive bows have been shot for a solid 5,000 years plus I highly doubt any of us are discovering anything. maybe relearning old tricks with modern tools and processes.  certainly not trying to take anything away from anyone but to me it's hard to fathom that someone somewhere hasn't done something similar. We're just the generation that  started putting it down in  books in detail. Like DC said any press is good press

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #74 on: August 26, 2019, 05:57:26 pm »
Yeah but I think they are selling DVD’s, not bows.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.