Author Topic: New heat treating method??  (Read 61097 times)

Offline Nasr

Re: New heat treating method??
« Reply #30 on: August 23, 2019, 08:53:03 pm »

Heat is heat.  Marc has used the bed of coals method and even before Marc,  Richard Brotzman  had an article in Instinctive Archer showing how he used a propane torch to fire harden his  bows.

Actual fire just sounds a bit more mystical.

I'm going to try using one of those parabolic mirrors and claim it's direct heat from the Sun

I agree

I dont really care about the claims its the facts that Its made to sound as if its a new discovery and Its kind of disrespectful to the people who have been doing it long before.

I bet they dont even come close to Marcs bows either  ;D

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #31 on: August 23, 2019, 08:59:10 pm »
I am re inventing the wheel as we speak,, ;D :NN

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #32 on: August 23, 2019, 09:15:58 pm »
Ok Ok! I never will claim such. That being said I have used the heat gun since 2004. I have improved my abilities to make wood bend and stay pretty much where I will go with it. Also I am sure I have tried lots of things like horn on the belly of a selfbow. None of which I am sure I did first!  ;D the only title left would be the king of heat treatment. I’m not that either!  Y’all know who did what . Wish I did. I’d know who’s brain to pick. >:D   Arvin
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

Offline sleek

« Reply #33 on: August 23, 2019, 10:27:39 pm »
Lol, so this is a lesson in BAD marketing. Shows me how to NOT advertise for the literary piece I am working on.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Santanasaur

« Reply #34 on: August 24, 2019, 05:43:10 am »
The saddest part is that his bows are nice enough without exaggerating. They look like great bows with nice profiles, absolutely respectable on their own merits. Since i’ve been hanging around here it’s obvious the most impressive bowyers are some of the least selfish with their ideas. Badger, if you talked like this guy it would set bowmaking back a decade and Marc wouldn’t be the King of heat treating without an entire kingdom of bowyers he taught to heat treat. Imitation is flattery and this guy treats it like stealing. Now he’s alone with his ideas and no better a bowyer for it

Offline sleek

« Reply #35 on: August 24, 2019, 06:33:13 am »
The saddest part is that his bows are nice enough without exaggerating. They look like great bows with nice profiles, absolutely respectable on their own merits. Since i’ve been hanging around here it’s obvious the most impressive bowyers are some of the least selfish with their ideas. Badger, if you talked like this guy it would set bowmaking back a decade and Marc wouldn’t be the King of heat treating without an entire kingdom of bowyers he taught to heat treat. Imitation is flattery and this guy treats it like stealing. Now he’s alone with his ideas and no better a bowyer for it

Well stated, but perhaps a bit premature. Let's at least see what this guy has first.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #36 on: August 24, 2019, 06:37:10 am »
Heat is heat.  Marc has used the bed of coals method and even before Marc,  Richard Brotzman  had an article in Instinctive Archer showing how he used a propane torch to fire harden his  bows.

I'm going to try using one of those parabolic mirrors and claim it's direct heat from the Sun

I talked to Murray Gaskins many years ago about the experiments he and Richard did using a propane torch and he said it made no difference to speak of to the wood, which is why he had doubts about my claims
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #37 on: August 24, 2019, 06:52:40 am »
The cellular structure of the wood is plasticized from the heat that is already a known fact and was known when I started doing this years ago, nothing new there. 

Billy was here often enough when I, and many others, were posting heat-treated bows.  He would know better

Oh well you know what they say...imitation is the greatest form of flattery  (lol)

Certainly why I have TRIED to imitate some of yours bows Marc. Pretty hard to make em exactly like the kings though. More to it than just burning a piece of wood. You still have the nicest tillered bows.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #38 on: August 24, 2019, 08:44:27 am »
Don’t get me wrong guys I would go to bat for probably 15-20 Bowyers on this site. Marc and Steve being just two. Two of the best and most knowledgeable Bowyers on this site. Both have taught me most of what I know about building a good bow not just a stick hurling another stick. I thank each and every one  that shares there ideas both the great ones and the failures. Cause we can sometimes learn more from the failures than the successful tries. Keep building guys. Arvin
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

Offline PatM

« Reply #39 on: August 24, 2019, 12:29:48 pm »

I talked to Murray Gaskins many years ago about the experiments he and Richard did using a propane torch and he said it made no difference to speak of to the wood, which is why he had doubts about my claims

I wonder if he was trying to add any reflex or at what point he was treating the wood.  Richard seemed to believe the idea had merit but he didn't mention reflex and his article didn't really try to qualify exactly what he was achieving with it.  He was also roasting the whole bow, back and belly.
   I think he experimented with  leaving the bow strung for lengthy periods.

Offline backtowood B2W

« Reply #40 on: August 24, 2019, 02:18:37 pm »
Just jumped in my mind:
Maybe he is trying to treat the bow as it would been hitted by a lightening strike. The natives liked it as bowwood, read that somewhere.
Don't ask me how to do this - high voltage isn't my thing I like to handle :-[

Offline sleek

« Reply #41 on: August 24, 2019, 02:43:14 pm »
Just jumped in my mind:
Maybe he is trying to treat the bow as it would been hitted by a lightening strike. The natives liked it as bowwood, read that somewhere.

Lightning strike wood is a myth. It destroys the wood in the same way a forest fire does, only worse. It expands the wood cells from vapor expansion so quickly, the tree wants to explode and often does. I'm happy to see someone succeed, that would be special, but I'd bet against it.

Offline backtowood B2W

« Reply #42 on: August 24, 2019, 03:14:02 pm »
Just jumped in my mind:

Lightning strike wood is a myth. It destroys the wood in the same way a forest fire does, only worse. It expands the wood cells from vapor expansion so quickly, the tree wants to explode and often does. I'm happy to see someone succeed, that would be special, but I'd bet against it.
I ve seen such trees and can follow your thoughts,
Thanks for clearing out.

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #43 on: August 24, 2019, 03:33:52 pm »
ttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dPzgDMTUnQ   Add the "h" to the https:  and watch...
                                                                                                                                     Don
« Last Edit: August 24, 2019, 03:45:07 pm by burchett.donald »
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline sleek

« Reply #44 on: August 24, 2019, 03:47:48 pm »
I just asked on his page for a specific example of a bows speed before and after the special treatment. If he says he was getting anything below 160 fps, and gained 10fps, I'm losing ALL interest. That's just typical bow making there.