Author Topic: New heat treating method??  (Read 61732 times)

Offline sleek

Re: New heat treating method??
« Reply #255 on: September 04, 2019, 05:37:52 pm »
You should be able to recognize who bownarra is.  He joins and then quits and takes his ball home on the regular.

I dont recognize him. Last time I recall problems with members, well, I dont wanna name anyone,  incase they got themselves figured out, I'd hate to bring up old issues. It's been a long time though.

If I have talked with him before under another name  I have no clue. Which kinda sucks, cause I'd like to know who I'm talking to. Kinda unfair to us really to do that.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #256 on: September 04, 2019, 09:13:12 pm »
Techniques, and claims that are credible should be able to stand on their own when faced with scrutiny and criticism. Now with that said, has this topic played out? Yes and is about 16 pages too long. I think it’s time to move on. There is know doubt they’re still reading this and the other heat treating threads that have been started. Let’s let it die.

Thank you
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline sleek

« Reply #257 on: September 04, 2019, 10:09:39 pm »
Techniques, and claims that are credible should be able to stand on their own when faced with scrutiny and criticism. Now with that said, has this topic played out? Yes and is about 16 pages too long. I think it’s time to move on. There is know doubt they’re still reading this and the other heat treating threads that have been started. Let’s let it die.

Thank you

But let's keep the other threads going, they are getting interesting.

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #258 on: September 04, 2019, 11:14:29 pm »

Thank you

But let's keep the other threads going, they are getting interesting.

:OK
Clatskanie, Oregon

bownarra

« Reply #259 on: September 05, 2019, 01:43:19 am »
You should be able to recognize who bownarra is.  He joins and then quits and takes his ball home on the regular.
[/quote

Your comments speak for you and your state of mind.....you got anything intelligent to say?

Sleek I wasn't talking about you in particular. I was talking in general just the way my comment was written.
I have no problem with anybody on here (I don't know any of you!) Why do people seem to want to pick a fight......honestly just grow up. What is wrong with disagreeing with somebody and keeping a civil tongue in your head at the same time....

Offline PatM

« Reply #260 on: September 05, 2019, 06:17:32 am »
You just  tried to pick a fight by being insulting.

I was merely observing your previous behavior of running off in a huff which could use some growing up all by itself.

Offline OTDEAN

« Reply #261 on: October 17, 2019, 05:54:00 am »
Is this dvd out yet or ready for download. I am intrigued.

Offline Jjpso

« Reply #262 on: December 28, 2019, 11:14:44 am »
It's alive... :)

Offline PatM

« Reply #263 on: December 28, 2019, 03:19:13 pm »
DVD released today.

Offline sleek

« Reply #264 on: December 28, 2019, 04:02:35 pm »
Whelp, anyone in line to get theirs?

Offline PatM

« Reply #265 on: December 28, 2019, 04:07:01 pm »
You can download it if you can't wait.

Offline Jakesnyder

« Reply #266 on: December 29, 2019, 07:08:56 am »
Has anyone watched it yet?

Offline clewis

« Reply #267 on: December 30, 2019, 12:55:38 pm »
Out of curiosity I purchased the streaming option moments ago but haven’t figured out how access it yet.

Offline Eric Garza

« Reply #268 on: December 31, 2019, 07:35:35 am »
I bought the streaming version yesterday and watched it. Clewis, when you log on to your account page, you will see a green bar across the top of the web page that says "watch the video" or something to that effect, with an arrow that points to the right. Click that arrow, and you will be taken to a page where you can stream the vid. I thought that was a peculiar way to set things up. Not at all intuitive.

As far as the video goes, fire hardening, as they portray it, does seem to differ from heat treating as it is commonly done. I would think of them on a continuum, with using raw, unheated wood at one extreme and fire hardening at the other, with conventional heat treating somewhere in the middle. The basic idea is you create a bed of coals you can suspend the bow you want to fire harden over, and suspend the bow there (clamped to a form if desired, with the belly facing the coals) for a few hours. Obviously the wood is further from the heat source than if one were to heat treat with a heat gun. The length of time you leave the bow there depends on a range of variables, among them how much heat the coals are putting off, wind, air temperature and humidity, etc. The goal is to 'cook' the wood at a relatively low temperature (~270 degrees Fahrenheit) slowly for an extended period of time.

It seems that a consequence of fire hardening is that the physical/chemical changes that happen in the wood go deeper than with heat treating, and in some cases all the way through, from belly to back. Fire hardening does result in a color change, but not as much as many folks end up with who heat treat. The bow becomes much more resistant to taking on moisture, and supposedly retains its performance when at higher moisture contents than it would otherwise. The producers claim only marginal benefits for osage, and significant benefits for white woods, particularly hickory.

My main criticism of the video is that when the producers presented data comparing the FPS that fire-hardened bows achieved vs raw wood bows and a couple fiberglass bows, they compared bows with various draw weights at various draw lengths using a single 520 grain arrow, so the comparisons were not always useful. Looking at their setup, it was not at all clear to me that they had a method to prevent them from over- or under-drawing bows while testing, which adds a means for them to bias results in favor of fire-hardened bows by 'accidentally' overdrawing them while shooting through the chronograph. With those limitations in mind it is hard to say much about the FPS numbers they present.

In my opinion, the producers are definitely onto something useful, and while there is plenty of room for more investigation I think their original claim that fire hardening is meaningfully different from heat treating, as it is commonly done, is valid. I plan on finding a place where I can make a fire pit (cannot do it where I am currently living) and experiment with this once it warms up a bit.

Offline PatM

« Reply #269 on: December 31, 2019, 08:05:48 am »
So really nothing new.  Guys have been using much longer slower heat treats on here for almost 20 years.  They've done it over beds of coals and kitchen stoves etc.   Heat is heat.