Author Topic: Arrow-fix for foreshafting?  (Read 7920 times)

Offline Mesophilic

Arrow-fix for foreshafting?
« on: September 07, 2019, 01:04:44 am »
Sorry if this has come up before, but I did try the search function to no avail.

I have an Arrow-fix tool already and have used it mostly to repair wood arrows that break just behid  glue on field points.  This is a two part question.

1) is the joint made with the arrow-fix strong enough to glue up foreshafts of dissimilar woods?  Example: could I safely do say a 6 inch foreshaft of a harder wood like hickory to a softer wood like douglas fir?

2) how far down the shaft would you trust the joint produced by the tool?  I'm concerned about the joint not holding and getting a shaft through my hand or forearm.  I personally don't trust the joint enough to take two broken shafts, spliced in the middle to make a serviceable shaft, with the jojnt bing in the high stress areas, but maybe I'm over thinking it?

I love everything about douglas fir except fixing them when I hit a rock and it brakes off just behind the point.  So I'm thinking that the next batch I would like try something a little tougher behind the point.   I really don't want the added weight of a tougher wood, and don't have the tools to do properly footed shafts. 
Trying is the first step to failure
-Homer Simpson-

Online Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Arrow-fix for foreshafting?
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2019, 08:04:32 am »
I'm not familiar with that "fixer" but if it is a taper fitted into a tapered socket then yes, it will work with dissimilar woods. I have arrows that Art Butner made for me that are cane with maple foreshafts that are very strong. Not sure what glue Art used, maybe super glue, maybe TBIII but they are very strong. I don't think I'd use it near the center of the shaft because that is where most of the bend is when the arrow is shot but the forward 6" or so should be fine.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Mesophilic

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2019, 10:08:45 am »
I'm not familiar with that "fixer" but if it is a taper fitted into a tapered socket then yes, it will work with dissimilar woods. I have arrows that Art Butner made for me that are cane with maple foreshafts that are very strong. Not sure what glue Art used, maybe super glue, maybe TBIII but they are very strong. I don't think I'd use it near the center of the shaft because that is where most of the bend is when the arrow is shot but the forward 6" or so should be fine.

It is a tapered socket type joint.  Thanks, this was the info I was looking for.  I'll most likely use West Systems G Flex epoxy.
-Homer Simpson-

Online Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2019, 12:18:19 pm »
A glue that doesn't cure instantly is probably a good idea so you can be sure everything lines up.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline artcher1

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2019, 06:12:13 pm »
I had problems using the two part epoxy on my foots. A hard hit on a rock would break the bond of the epoxy. That was on the wing type foot though. Never tried the epoxy on the socket type. For the socket type foot I used the thin super glue. It takes heat well for re-aligning if need be. For the two of four wing foot I like the polyurethane glue like the Gorilla Grip glue. It'll take a lot of heat if re-aligning is needed.

Just me, but I like to keep the joint at least no further that the back of the bow's shelf when drawn for safety's sake...…….Art

Offline Mesophilic

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2019, 08:23:29 pm »
I had problems using the two part epoxy on my foots. A hard hit on a rock would break the bond of the epoxy. That was on the wing type foot though. Never tried the epoxy on the socket type. For the socket type foot I used the thin super glue. It takes heat well for re-aligning if need be. For the two of four wing foot I like the polyurethane glue like the Gorilla Grip glue. It'll take a lot of heat if re-aligning is needed.

Just me, but I like to keep the joint at least no further that the back of the bow's shelf when drawn for safety's sake...…….Art

Do you recall whay type of epoxy you used?

I'm thinking I may go ahead and try several different glue types and do a destruction test.
-Homer Simpson-

Online Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2019, 10:22:55 pm »
...and that's from the horse's mouth.  :OK  Hey Art. Glad to see you here.  8)

Offline artcher1

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2019, 04:45:16 am »
Great to see you as well Pat!

I used the Devcon 30 min epoxy. Yeah, always do a strength test.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2019, 11:56:16 am »
What is the brand name for your tool, Arrow-fix?  Thanks
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Online Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2019, 01:50:08 pm »
Jerry, one company that made them was called "reparrow" or something ;like that.  3Rivers used to carry them.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2019, 03:00:31 pm »
Wow! Glad to see you still kicking, Art! Your input on arrow making would be greatly appreciated by all.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline artcher1

« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2019, 03:36:18 pm »
How are you Eddie? Hey, not kicking much of anything these days! And I hear it only gets worse......…….Art

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2019, 06:29:44 pm »
wow! I've read a lot of your stuff given to me by Pat B and dang your good!
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Offline Mesophilic

« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2019, 07:50:52 pm »
What is the brand name for your tool, Arrow-fix?  Thanks
Hawkdancer

Its literally called "Arrow-fix". Made by a German company and carried by 3 Rivers.  Kind of pricey but has already paid for itself fixing wooden shafts for me.
-Homer Simpson-

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2019, 07:52:37 pm »
looks like a pencil sharpener.
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.