Author Topic: Christmas Trade pics  (Read 17814 times)

Offline Mr. Woolery

Re: Christmas Trade pics
« Reply #75 on: December 22, 2019, 02:43:26 pm »
And lift the flap to find a cute little antler handle file knife!

I absolutely love owning knives made by other people.

I’m super-pleased.

Patrick

Offline TimothyR

• PM110782
« Reply #76 on: December 22, 2019, 03:29:04 pm »
Mine will be going out tomorrow. It's all one would need to build a sinew backed yew takedown. some leather,  beeswax and pine resin blocks and some raw card scraper material. they make great card scrapers.
Freedom dies one compromise at a time. III%

Offline Trapper Rob

« Reply #77 on: December 22, 2019, 06:12:50 pm »
A lot of nice stuff going out

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #78 on: December 22, 2019, 10:32:09 pm »
Patrick, Glad you like the bag. Dylan Holderman forged the file knife and I hafted the antler handle on it. The button on the front is a slab of South Georgia fat lighter, from the remains of a long dead Southern Long Leaf Yellow Pine. If you hold it up to the light you can see through it and if you ever need a fire starter small pieces of it will do it.
  I hope the bag serves you well.   :OK
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Mr. Woolery

« Reply #79 on: December 23, 2019, 02:23:48 am »
Pat, I believe that bag will certainly serve me well.  I'd have to really need that fire in order to use the button.  That's some pretty looking wood, there.  But it is great to know that I could use it if needed.  Very practical idea, actually.

-Patrick

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #80 on: December 23, 2019, 08:35:49 am »
The file blade should throw a good spark with the right flint so you should be ready just in case.  :OK
Enjoy!
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #81 on: December 25, 2019, 10:10:47 am »
After the long, agonizing wait I opened my Christmas Trade box this morning and found these cool items; a nice tom tom with 2 sticks and a very nice little knife with a stabilized walnut(looks like) burl handle.This little knife is very sharp!  I'll add a sheath to my side stalker quiver and have the knife with me when I go shooting. Thanks Aaron(Mesophilic) for these great, hand made gifts.
Aaron, what is the wood the tom tom is made from? lodgepole pine?

Offline Mesophilic

« Reply #82 on: December 25, 2019, 11:48:14 am »
Aaron, what is the wood the tom tom is made from? lodgepole pine?

Glad you like them. 

The drum body is made from a hollowed out log of Russian olive.  The sticks are Apache plume with apple wood tips.

Remember that Oxo knife repair thread you started about a year ago? Well I dug up that thread in my search and decided you need a suitable replacement.  The knife is either AEB-L or Nitro V steel, can't remember exactly, but the latter steel is just the former with a little added nitrogen, both are stainless razor blade steels that take a fine sharp edge.  I think the handle scales are stabilized mango, but I'm just guessing.  The blade is 60-61 HRC so probably won't want to pry an arrow out of a tree or you might break the tip.
Trying is the first step to failure
-Homer Simpson-

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #83 on: December 25, 2019, 12:00:41 pm »
Thanks for the info, Aaron.  BTW, I used JB Weld on the Oxo blade to reattach the handle and so far so good. It's funny, Oxo sent me a replacement knife but it is a cheezie little paring knife, nowhere near what the broken knife is.
 I've never seen Russian Olive that big around. Most is only 2" at the most.
Thanks again for the great gifts.   :OK