Author Topic: Deerhunter's flintknapping thread  (Read 41080 times)

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
Deerhunter's flintknapping thread
« on: October 16, 2019, 07:06:48 pm »
ok guys, i got a box of rock, made an indirect and am meeting up with a flintknapping guy. Ive been working on a ton of rock and I get like 5 questions an hour of knapping. I feel like im posting too many threads so heres one big one so i dont clutter this page up too much.  :KN :KN :-K :-K )P(
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Offline Deerhunter21

Re: Deerhunter's flintknapping thread
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2019, 07:11:16 pm »
And now the questions,

What type of rock is this? I gotta get more! This rock just taught me to hit the rock HARD but controlled. It works beautiful with percussion and is not prone to snapping or brittle.

When pressure flaking with a pressure flaker do i shoot flakes by pushing into the rock and then snapping

Offline clewis

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2019, 05:37:44 pm »
Is that rainy buttes silicified wood? Nice looking material, best of luck to you.

Offline Deerhunter21

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2019, 06:58:50 pm »
Yes! Thats it! Ugh, only git two good flakes and couldnt biface.

Offline clewis

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2019, 07:47:06 pm »
Not sure how thick that piece is but if you set your platforms up correctly you should be able to pressure flake a nice point. The key is platform prep and “lots” of pressure. Meeting up with an experienced knapper makes a huge difference in the long run. Best of luck to you.

Offline Deerhunter21

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2019, 08:04:38 pm »
I watched some videos and what im understanding is you do two short flakes to create a ridge and then you uae the ridge to swnd a long flake, am i right?

Offline Parnell

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2019, 08:43:05 am »
So, your flakes won't travel all the way across, beautifully, until you remove those ridges.  The energy wave can't travel through the ridgeline.  Your strikes are moving directly into the ridge, which is why it stops there and you are left with a step.  Bear with me...picture yourself going hiking and imagine as if the piece of stone's surface were the ridgelines you were going hiking up.  You wouldn't want to walk up the steepest incline.  You would want to walk along the gradual rise of the topography.  Does that make sense? ???

Look at your piece of stone starting out primarily from the centerline, first.  That is, look at it from a thickness perspective instead of the side profile.  Considering both sides, you want to remove the thickest portions first, preparing a platform on the opposite side of what you intend to remove.  This is where "centerline" comes to play.  Take a sharpie pen and actually draw the centerline around the circumference of the stone.  Everything to the right must go right.  Everything to the left must go left.  You are creating platforms to strike so that you are climbing the ridgeline in the direction of the gradual rise of the topography.

Considering your photo, here is my 2 cents:

Remove the Red 1 portion first in the opposite direction of the showing face with respect to centerline.  This must be done to have a clean platform to strike in the direction of 2 and 3 respectively to thin the piece.

Abrade, abrade, abrade.  Think about abrading with a great deal of pressure vs. very lightly and what difference that makes.

How tightly you hold the spall with your left hand matters as much as the proper placement of your strike with your right hand.  Squeezing it too tightly will dampen the energy shock wave travelling through the stone.

When using percussion...think about "follow through", like with other sports.  Follow through your strike.

Hope this helps.

Parnell

1’—>1’

Offline Deerhunter21

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2019, 12:05:28 pm »
i understand it all except the center line. could you explain it a bit more? So i thought i got what a percussion platform but i don't know after watching some videos. so you can make one kinda like a nipple but a bit more flat and isolate it. I know there's another one but i didn't understand it a lot. i'm worried to hit it with a bopper as i don't want it to snap but, well, its just a rock. i also don't know how to attack the #3 flake. thank you for the picture! it really helps!

oh yeah, i understand the hiking analogy. you need more energy to go up the ridge so if you do a regular flake with not enough energy it will terminate while traveling through or right after and putting too much energy could cause it to snap. so you have to get rid of it to send a good flake.

Offline Parnell

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2019, 03:04:30 pm »
I’ll try to put something together for you and post back this evening.
1’—>1’

Offline Parnell

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2019, 05:17:45 pm »
This book is your best bet at getting a clear understanding.  Try  to pick it up.

Pictures to explain centerline.  The middle of the thickness...I’m working on a sketch to help you.
1’—>1’

Offline Parnell

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2019, 05:47:07 pm »
Look at these...

Prepare the platform with your pressure flaker, abrader, perhaps light percussion.  Study the angle I drew and the concept.

Cris-cross with pressure to remove that first ledge.  Abraded lightly at each newly released platform.  Apply pressure below the centerline...in loading pressure, then down.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2019, 05:52:21 pm by Parnell »
1’—>1’

Offline Parnell

« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2019, 05:59:50 pm »
The more elliptical the cross-section of your preform becomes, the better the flakes will travel across.

Take off the “tallest” ridge line, sequentially.

Abrade, abrade, abrade.

Don’t get stuck using just percussion.  Use percussion, pressure, and abrading fluidly when preforming.

Whew!  Ok... :o

And, oh yeah, don’t bother getting frustrated.  You are going to have to break lots of rock.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2019, 06:13:55 pm by Parnell »
1’—>1’

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2019, 07:58:36 pm »
Wow,Steve! Good explanation. You sound like a Teacher.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Deerhunter21

« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2019, 06:41:12 am »
 :o just had an ahah moment there! That really helps and now i really understand! I just got a job so rock is no issue now! Thank you so much! Mullet sums it up all in 2 sentences! Jeeze man! Your way good at helpin!

Offline Parnell

« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2019, 07:16:06 am »
Ha!  Thanks, Eddie.  Yeah, maybe the State of Florida will let me teach Knapping 101? )P(

DH - glad to help.  I’ll be watching.
1’—>1’