Author Topic: Tiller Check Please : )  (Read 6360 times)

Offline burtonridr

Re: Tiller Check Please : )
« Reply #30 on: December 04, 2019, 10:21:34 am »
The string noise is not effecting performance,,.

No, its just a nuisance. Part of what excited me was how quite the bow was when I had it strung with the nylon mason line during tillering. It just felt so good to shoot and it was absolutely silent. Now its like shooting a guitar lol. I'm trying different things and its getting a little better with slight modifications. Part of it might be in the handle(it is a take down, going to add cork between the risers), maybe part of it is in the knock design(going to wrap the string with yarn), maybe its because before it was littered with course rasp marks all over(not much I can do here), maybe its because the string doesnt stretch like the nylon one did(might add a few more twists to the string), maybe a combination of limb profile and wood type, maybe heavier arrows might help, I have no idea lol, but man it irks me!

Offgrid mtn living

Offline DC

« Reply #31 on: December 04, 2019, 11:11:57 am »
Do you use a bracer when you're shooting? I found once that the string was vibrating against the bracer. I had chased that noise for a couple of days and 1/4" increase in brace height fixed it. Just a wild chance :D

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #32 on: December 04, 2019, 11:21:39 am »
A string silencer,,,will help..also fast fligh is quieter as well
« Last Edit: December 04, 2019, 11:32:16 am by bradsmith2010 »

Offline burtonridr

« Reply #33 on: December 04, 2019, 11:32:08 am »
Do you use a bracer when you're shooting? I found once that the string was vibrating against the bracer. I had chased that noise for a couple of days and 1/4" increase in brace height fixed it. Just a wild chance :D

I wear a bracer sometimes, but with this bow recently I have been shooting bare arm at a block in the garage. Having a long sleeve shirt or something for the string to hit actually helps stop/muffle the vibration.

All the noise is in the string humming, like plucking a guitar, it will hum for a few seconds after the shot. String silencers have helped, they seem to muffle it a little. I put on on each end about 12" from the nocks.
Offgrid mtn living

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #34 on: December 05, 2019, 08:03:46 am »
Silencers work the best if they are 1/3 down the limb length from the tip. B-50 is fairly quiet, fast flight has an annoying twang. I put fur silencers on my bows just to keep from hearing that twang.

Offline Arrowind

« Reply #35 on: December 05, 2019, 07:03:36 pm »
Looks like a good shooter!  As for the noise.  I didn't read every post word for word so if someone already said this forgive me.  If you haven't already done this try different brace heights.  I have a bow that makes a good bit of noise when braced around 6.5 inches but when braced at 7 or a tad more it quiets right down.   Cool bow dude!  Looks like the tiller pretty darn good to me. 
Talking trees. What do trees have to talk about, hmm... except the consistency of squirrel droppings?

Offline Arrowind

« Reply #36 on: December 05, 2019, 07:06:27 pm »
Looks like a good shooter!  As for the noise.  I didn't read every post word for word so if someone already said this forgive me.  If you haven't already done this try different brace heights.  I have a bow that makes a good bit of noise when braced around 6.5 inches but when braced at 7 or a tad more it quiets right down.   Cool bow dude!  Looks like the tiller pretty darn good to me.

Oh haha!  i just read DC's post.    ;D    :OK
Talking trees. What do trees have to talk about, hmm... except the consistency of squirrel droppings?

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #37 on: December 08, 2019, 01:41:51 pm »
I like the lower limb  a little stiffer because I feel as though it is under more strain.

What kind of noise are you hearing on release?

A very loud  thwacking noise is indicative of and arrow that is over spined or a brace height that is too low. I like the brace height 7-7.5 inches from string to the back of the bow.

Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Woodely

« Reply #38 on: December 08, 2019, 02:57:39 pm »
Silencers work the best if they are 1/3 down the limb length from the tip. B-50 is fairly quiet, fast flight has an annoying twang. I put fur silencers on my bows just to keep from hearing that twang.
"B-50 is fairly quiet, fast flight has an annoying twang."   +2  .  And there is a give and take with both materials, B-50 may stretch but is quiet.
"Doing bad work is an exercise in futility, but honestly making mistakes is trying your best."