Author Topic: And Another Knot Question  (Read 3052 times)

Offline Piddler

And Another Knot Question
« on: December 08, 2019, 01:01:29 pm »
Guys I need some opinions and adult supervision on a knot in this stave I'm working. I am still new at this game and this is the first Knot of this type I have had to deal with. Also My first Osage to work. As you can see in the photo, I have the knot 1" above center. Originally had it at dead center but have moved center down 1". That explains all the lines because there two sets. The center line is marked with a circle for reference. There wasn't enough wood to go around it as the stave was undercut pretty steep on that side. The other side didn't seem to be optimal either. That's just how the stave was.  I planned on cutting an arrow shelf and figured that with the shelf most of the knot would be removed. Dimensions planned are 4" handle and 2" fades, 1 1/2" limb width and 1" handle section. The outer lines you see are 2" and the inner lines are the planned 1 1/2". The stave is pretty thin ringed is the reason I planned on 1 1/2". Opinions on width are welcome as well. I plan on around 50# draw weight. 
So question no 1 here would be would the shelf weaken it too much with this grain orientation or just don't cut a shelf. Or leave some extra wood on the outside.
Question 2, In moving the center down It also moved the fade down by 1". Does it appear that the fade in the upper section is ok with the grain or do I need something different there. Maybe add another inch to the handle or something. I would just as soon leave at the dimensions mentioned if possible. Hope the photos show up. They are not good quality so bear with me.
Thanks in advance
Piddler
"My goal in life is to try and be the kind of person my dog thinks I am"

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
Re: And Another Knot Question
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2019, 01:37:02 pm »
First, I would follow the grain around the knot.  Glue a shim on the side of the handle for a shelf.  I really cant tell on the fades, but you will violate the grain there anyway.  The angle of violation is the key in my opinion.  90 degrees and it snaps in two, right?  So make the angle of violation as minimal as possible.
  I have done some squirrely handles.  You just have to follow the general flow of the center line.  If it sways left, so will the entire handle. 
« Last Edit: December 08, 2019, 01:48:31 pm by SLIMBOB »
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline Piddler

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2019, 03:05:50 pm »
Thanks for the reply SLIMBOB. Looks like I posted the same photo twice. While I didn't think I had enough depth under that side, I measured things again and it looks like it will be enough depth for the handle. I kind of round that part of the handle off anyway. I'll clean up my markings and get a good grain line. and go with it. It also looks like it will come back into the fades about right. Sometimes I try to overthink things I guess.
Piddler

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2019, 03:39:38 pm »
It looks as though if you follow the grain around the knot on the left side, you will eliminate the knot entirely. The divot will be the arrow pass. Maybe??

Offline Stixnstones

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2019, 04:00:04 pm »
You could flip it and have the knot as the bottom of the handle... I mean it's not even roughed out yet so how do you know which is top limb or bottom limb. All in all Slimbob is right, follow that grain and you should be ok.
DevilsBeachSelfbows

Offline Piddler

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2019, 05:48:16 pm »
Slimbob,
I laid out some lines following the grain and I am liking it. It comes into the fades pretty good as well. As you stated the divot should suffice for a good arrow pass.
Stixnstones, Thanks for the comment. Like it is it leaves me the mentioned arrow pass. As you state all options are still open.

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2019, 06:07:55 pm »
Cool. Got a pic?

Offline Piddler

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2019, 07:06:03 pm »
Kind of a rough one. Got a couple other lines in it as well so don't pay attention to them. Had a couple other things to do so didn't clean up all my marks. I plan on starting the blend to the fade as depicted by the lines. They will be 2" fades. The one to the right fade will probably be rounded a bit more and not such a straight line. It does seem to cut across more grain. This makes a 1" wide handle area and should be 1 1/2" or close in depth. If you guys see errors let me know. Still pretty new to this.
Thanks again all.
Piddler

Offline Stixnstones

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2019, 08:04:04 pm »
Know what.... i read it wrong, your wantin to use the knot, my bad. Continue what your doin and you'll be fine.
DevilsBeachSelfbows

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2019, 08:26:00 pm »
That might work. You wanted a shelf so if the divot is in the right spot you might be able to leave the bottom part of the knot as the shelf.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2019, 10:00:24 pm »
well Im gonna go out on a limb,, ha,, :)
if the handel is gonna be deep and non bending,, I think you could cut through it  and keep your handle like you want it,, not saying im right,, just thinking if its non bending there,, you can do it how ever you want,,maybe leave it a bit deeper at that spot,,
 (-S

bownarra

« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2019, 12:53:19 am »
The knot is a weak spot (potentially) and you are planning to put it where there will definitely be a weak spot (arrow shelf).
Leave it well alone until the bow is braced and you can see where the string lies.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2019, 02:26:37 am »
Just my take on it, not a wood I use much and not a style of bow I make often ::)
Leave plenty spare round the knot, it can always sit under the palm of your hand.
Don't feel obliged to cut it out to shape from the start... you can always take more off and finesse that area once it's a shooter.
Don't cut away an arrow pass, again you can always relieve it a little later. IMO one of the common mistakes is shaping handles before the bow is finished... let the bow decide how it want's to sit in the hand (and even which way up sometimes.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2019, 05:20:14 am »
How thick is it? Where does knot exit? It looks like at least part of that knot is probably loose.

I always do like Del suggested and leave my handle till well after first brace. It just gives me more options and a place to clamp my bow in vice.

I also like stixnstones idea of flipping it over. Provided I had enough thickness for a stiff handle and a arrow pass I think I'd use both of those methods. You could leave palm area of handle wide around knot and still have a comfortable handle. Then you would have more trustworthy wood for arrow shelf portion of handle.

Could you post a picture of belly side and edge side? I'd like to know how thick it is and where that knot is going .
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2019, 06:44:49 am »
I don't disagree with any of the above.  You might be able to just leave the handle straight and disregard the grain.  Were it mine, I would do as I suggested.  You can leave it wide and narrow down as you near completion.  That is likely a good idea on this one just to ensure everything lines up well.  I think handles of this type can really add to the character of the bow, but you want to make sure it functions properly, so leaving a bit wide and narrowing down later might help you get there.