Author Topic: And Another Knot Question  (Read 2974 times)

Offline Piddler

Re: And Another Knot Question
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2019, 07:31:42 am »
I will definitely will leave it wide till the end. Probably leave a little extra wood as well. Did have to get a plan sorted out simply due to bow layout and fade placement.
Thanks again for all the comments and suggestions.
"My goal in life is to try and be the kind of person my dog thinks I am"

Online Eric Krewson

« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2019, 07:49:51 am »
I would cut the handle 1" wide, cut theknot mostly out and glue on the palm swell pieces on both sides, they will be covered with leather. I cut a wedge shaped chunk out of the handle where i want my rest and glue in a square piece of wood that matches the cutout, when the glue cures I shape it to the size I want. If you knot is right where you want a rest you could get rid of all of it with a glued in rest.

Like this;

« Last Edit: December 09, 2019, 07:54:41 am by Eric Krewson »

Online Eric Krewson

« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2019, 07:50:42 am »
Another I used unibond for this fix;
« Last Edit: December 09, 2019, 07:55:35 am by Eric Krewson »

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2019, 01:52:29 pm »
I would cut straight through it as if it wasn't there. Then when I round off the front edges of my grip I would eliminate completely.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Piddler

« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2019, 05:29:22 pm »
Thanks for all the suggestions and ideas fellas. I have some time to think it over.
Piddler

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2019, 06:17:25 pm »
Pearl is right in that you probably can disregard the whole thing. It is the handle and being static, it might not matter at all. Always a good practice to follow the grain when you can and I think it will look cool. Show us what you decide. Good luck.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline Hrothgar

« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2019, 04:13:54 am »
Piddler, that's a challenging knot for sure. I'm just curious about what angle/direction the knot goes. Can you post a picture of the other side?
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.

Offline Piddler

« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2019, 09:36:07 am »
bjrogg and Hrothgar, Here is a photo of the belly side as requested. Apologize for the delay. As you can see in the first photo the hard undercut is what was originally giving me concerns about going with the grain. I've done lots of measuring and some trimming in that area and have concluded that it will almost get to the 1 1/2" depth I was wanting but not quite. I do believe it will be sufficient though. I will round that part quite a bit anyway. The second and third photos are after trimming. It is trimmed to about 1 3/4" with the area around the grain swirl still over 2". Looks like I will get rid of most of it either way I go. If I go with the grain I think it will all be gone. May have some swirly would left though.
Piddler

Offline Hrothgar

« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2019, 03:23:34 am »
Piddler, sorry for the delay in responding. In your photo it seems like the knot is in the fade and not in the handle area. If you are able to comfortable grasp the handle w/o the knot effecting your grip I would try to leave a little extra wood there. If you're going to narrow the handle much more you might consider leaving the handle a bit longer to compensate --it may be too late for that though. Are you working with a long stave?
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.