Author Topic: Setback vs Reflex?  (Read 1502 times)

Offline ajbruggink

• Aaron Bruggink, Oostburg, WI, USA
Setback vs Reflex?
« on: February 11, 2020, 06:41:48 pm »
Hey guys,

What are the differences between putting a setback in a bow's grip area versus reflexing the limbs if your goal is to reduce string follow and/or set? I know the difference between setback and reflexed limbs but what method would be better than the other for reducing string follow, assuming that you tiller the bow well, and why? I steamed a setback in the grip area of a stave once and I put reflex in the limbs of a stave via heat treating once. But I did not tiller either of these two staves and therefore I did not make bows from them. In terms of stave preparation, steaming a setback in the grip took less effort, less time, and required less equipment to accomplish than heat treating. But yet I notice heat treating is a very popular bow building process right now and has been for awhile. I have also heard of people steaming reflex into the limbs of staves instead heat-treating them. Why would someone go through the extra work of reflexing limbs instead putting a setback in the handle of a stave? Are staves with reflexed limbs easier to tiller than staves with setback handles? Do some straight stave designs not work with setback handles? What am I missing here? Your replies are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Aaron

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
Re: Setback vs Reflex?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2020, 08:02:53 pm »
Both will push the tips out in front of the handle, increasing string tension thus straining the limbs. That strain can and will result in set.  It’s inevitable. Some you can measure, some you can’t, but it’s there. Proper design and spotless tiller is the key on both. Equally in my opinion. I heat setback in the handle just as I do reflexing the limbs. Dry heat.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline Santanasaur

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2020, 08:07:12 pm »
I don’t really see  it as an either-or. Everything has trade-offs which may or may not be good trades depending on the situation.

If a bow has already  taken set (or will in the future,) reflexing  or setting the handle back will only strain it more and usually it’ll take set again until it’s back where it started. Set back handles can  add stack weight by affecting string angle.

Heat treating makes wood more compression strong at the expense of brittleness in tension. This is useful  for woods  weaker in compression but with plenty of tension strength, like hickory, hhb, elm etc. In some cases, you can reduce set without it returning (or prevent it from the start) because it changes the qualities of the wood without changing the design of the bow.

Offline RyanY

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2020, 09:11:09 pm »
Adding set back to the handle only would mean the string angle at full draw is greater meaning less energy storage. If the reflex is even through the limb then, when tillered, the string angle would be the same as if the bow were straight.

Also, when reflexing the whole limb, the limb will travel through its original position (position prior to heat manipulation) in the motion of its bend. When set back at the handle only, the limb is stressed further from its original position compared to straight or reflexed through the whole limb.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2020, 02:23:11 am »
Set back in handle might cause the limbs to take more set..
Reflexing the whole limb might hold a better profile for performance

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2020, 04:47:15 am »
Bottom line is you don't get ow't for now't .
There is only so much bend you can get from a bow... if you have a short draw then some reflex or set back will be of benefit but if you want to draw 32" then you probably aren't going to gain.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2020, 09:02:55 am »
Make the limbs wider at the fades to mid limb and you have a better chance of less set. The extra weight won’t matter much at all. Set back bows seam to have more shock to me. Arvin
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2020, 09:15:11 am »
I have heard that,,,I have slightly reflexed at handle on sinew bow,..it seemed,,pretty smooth,.
Maybe it would depend on length of bow and other factors

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2020, 10:45:28 am »
I agree with Arvin. I made a bunch with set back handles early on. I think they look cool unbraced and braced. Not crazy about them otherwise. A natural sweeping set back is fine, but setting the handle back makes them...persnickety.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2020, 10:46:21 am »
Del,,.I was making bow for someone long time ago,..it was long,,,and long draw,,,.shot like a dog,..I cut tips a bit shorter and reflexed handle,,,it shot better,,.maybe it was just cutting it shorter?