Author Topic: Red oak board bow  (Read 3703 times)

Offline Gregoryv

Re: Red oak board bow
« Reply #30 on: February 14, 2020, 07:13:07 am »
I am new to this.  You are looking for the grain running parallel to the bow.  Like opposite of a stave?  And you get the boards from the hardware store?  I would like to try this.  Is there a good board bow build along here anyone knows of?

Offline Gregoryv

« Reply #31 on: February 14, 2020, 07:30:02 am »
Hey and also what are the measurements of the with and taper of your bow?  Do you keep the outer part of the limbs stiff?  I am waiting for staves to season and would LOVE to make a bow similar to that.  It is stunning... oh and you used a heat gun and a form to reflex before tillering? 
Thank you,
Greg

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #32 on: February 14, 2020, 07:39:58 am »
Look in the How To's and Build along section, 4th thread down. No better instruction to be found IMO.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Parnell

« Reply #33 on: February 14, 2020, 08:56:44 am »
Man, that's about the best looking red oak board bow I've seen.  Those tips are great.
1’—>1’

Online mmattockx

« Reply #34 on: February 14, 2020, 09:53:37 am »
Ryan,

That is absolutely gorgeous. What finish did you use? Did you stain it before sealing?

Thanks,
Mark

Offline Stixnstones

« Reply #35 on: February 14, 2020, 10:43:24 am »
Prolly the sweetest board bows I've ever seent... nothing against board bows, this one is just beautiful.
DevilsBeachSelfbows