Author Topic: Forging Meteorite  (Read 5249 times)

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
Forging Meteorite
« on: February 17, 2020, 02:34:16 pm »
Definitely didn’t watch or read anything too in depth about it. I took a slice and etched it and it looked like just a geometric conglomerate of metals (cobalt, iron, nickel, etc.). From the paper that came with it I feel the silica impurities are the main causes for the cracking and blistering. One slice forge welded while the others....did not. There are some visual impurities along with some cracking I can easily cut out and I’m gonna try and keep it as hot as possible and see how well I can hammer anything else out, maybe get a more homologous piece.
But I can’t imagine I’m the only one who’s had issues. Any pointers? And no I’m not going to heat down in a crucible. I feel it would ruin the uniqueness of the piece.

If anything I might just end up layering it into some 1065 I got Layin around.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2020, 02:39:45 pm by Bryce »
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Forging Meteorite
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2020, 04:09:26 pm »
I think the original Bowey Knife was made from a meteorite.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2020, 04:55:51 pm »
look up alec steele meteorite on youtube. he tried forging one but with the crystaline structure and lots of cracks and stuff i didnt work
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2020, 09:49:19 pm »
I’ve been told to be light with it like very raw tamahagani.
Yes I know Alec last I heard he was too rash with the stuff. But idk for sure lol I didn’t know he made a video about it.
Thanks pat I’ll look that up. I know a pharaoh had a meteorite dagger buried with him, thought that was neat.
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline TRiggs

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2020, 01:34:20 pm »
Try forging it in a canister and make damascus thats what they did on Forged in Fire.
American Blade Smith Apprentice

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2020, 10:58:42 am »
Try forging it in a canister and make damascus thats what they did on Forged in Fire.

I have a boat welded up, the only thing is all the slight impurities I’m not sure how well it’ll turn out. Usually pretty confident with canister Damascus.
I’m gonna try and get a clean enough piece to forge weld for hopefully a 7” San mai knife.... but it all has to wait till Saturday :/
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline JEB

« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2020, 02:54:45 pm »
I have seen meteorite bladed knives and they are beautiful and expensive.

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2020, 09:50:38 pm »
I have seen meteorite bladed knives and they are beautiful and expensive.

I’ll have to check those out.

I took a small test piece and folded in some 1065 and another piece I folded in some 4140. The latter seemed to stick a lot more readily when pressed, not hammered into forge weld
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline DC

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2020, 10:23:22 am »
I suppose you can get good or bad meteorite?

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2020, 12:48:14 am »
I suppose you can get good or bad meteorite?

I guess it possible. I’ve only got the one.
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline Handforged

• Limestone Canyon Forge, Monarch MT.
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2020, 03:23:34 pm »
I think your tamahagani route makes the most sense. I would break it into the smallest pieces that I could. Pancake those pieces, flux and stack them. Forge weld them and draw them out. With the kind of inclusions you mentioned I would be very careful if you choose to do a canister or canoe with it. I do think that is your best bet to get something unique. I make a style of Damascus called "fossil" where you essentially take all the small scrap pieces of Damascus that you have left over from various projects and jam them into a can. The pattern it creates is very appealing.
At the forge- 406-781-9098

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2020, 04:51:34 pm »
I think your tamahagani route makes the most sense. I would break it into the smallest pieces that I could. Pancake those pieces, flux and stack them. Forge weld them and draw them out. With the kind of inclusions you mentioned I would be very careful if you choose to do a canister or canoe with it. I do think that is your best bet to get something unique. I make a style of Damascus called "fossil" where you essentially take all the small scrap pieces of Damascus that you have left over from various projects and jam them into a can. The pattern it creates is very appealing.

I still haven’t gone back to it yet. But if I do I’ll probably layer and stack it
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline Handforged

• Limestone Canyon Forge, Monarch MT.
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2020, 05:21:30 pm »
well....just pack It up and send her down to me. HA! I make my living at the forge and although I get to do what I want to most of the time, I rarely get to play.
At the forge- 406-781-9098

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2020, 11:14:03 pm »
That’s rad man wish I could. Wood is my number 1 medium.
Been working on some San mai stuff until I come back round to it.
Clatskanie, Oregon