Author Topic: Ferreira rasp  (Read 1908 times)

Offline Gregoryv

Re: Ferreira rasp
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2020, 08:01:14 pm »
Slimbob what do you use?  Draw knife? Band saw?  I al looking for a tool that will really take off material so I can ovoid tear out.  Will the Shinto work for initial shaping or should I get a rasp too?  I think the reason I get tear out is a: hop horn beam and b: I am new.  Thanks for any responses.
Greg

Offline DC

« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2020, 08:26:48 pm »
I have a "Save Edge" farriers rasp that has been a very good rasp. I've had it for at least five years and it still cuts like new. I use it for roughing out after the bandsaw. I also have two Shinto rasps. They are very good for lighter work then the coarse side of the farriers. I don't use the fine side of the farriers much. Don't know why. The reason I have two Shintos is that they seem to have a useful lifetime. Because they are just hacksaw blades that are riveted together they loosen up and start to bend sideways. Maybe it's the way I use it. When I ordered the Shinto from Lee Valley it came with a weird handle that I just couldn't use. The thing kept tipping over and digging in because the handle put the point of effort about two inches above the work. I sent it back and just got the regular file handle kind.

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2020, 08:41:35 pm »
Band saw if needed, but not often any more. Belt sander for most of the shaping. Then a drawknife the rest of the way along with a sanding block. A rasp is used as I said only around the handle. Some around the tips. Maybe I’m doing it wrong but a rasp is the tool I touch the least.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline Gregoryv

« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2020, 09:21:21 pm »
This is what is going on with this tractor supply rasp.  The fine side cuts but the course side skirts along wood.  Am I doing something wrong or is this a cheap dull rasp?

Offline EdwardS

« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2020, 10:08:20 pm »
I'd like to know that as well as it's the only rasp in my price range.

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2020, 10:51:42 pm »
The rasp I use is a Brazilian made one you pick up from Oracheln.l, so I’d guess it’s a similar one. I put some weight into the coarse side of mine to get it to cut, but when it does it’s more like little chunks of wood as opposed to normal rasping dust. Try a bit more pressure and swipe it across the grain at a 45* angle. I feel like I can go at it more controlled and get more pressure if I draw the rasp towards me to cut.

Kyle

Offline Gregoryv

« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2020, 04:31:19 pm »
Is this typical of the course side of a rasp or if I fork out some more dough can I get something that works better?
Greg

Offline hoosierf

« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2020, 04:32:50 pm »
Try a Diamond brand farriers rasp. Mine is less than a year old and beats the pants off my Nicholson.  I got it at Mills Fleet Farm