Author Topic: Hello from Muskoka, Canada: Total Newb  (Read 4094 times)

Offline 5up3rm4n

Hello from Muskoka, Canada: Total Newb
« on: February 19, 2020, 09:04:48 pm »
Hello all...I've been looking at all your posts and finally decided to register and just got my approval. I am a COMPLETE newbie to bow making but I feel i have a base understanding of the craft. I just harvested an HHB sapling with a base diameter of 2.5". I know, it may be too narrow but after counting its tightly compressed rings, its 20 years old. Should i leave it alone and use it as a walking stick, or take a chance on turning it into my first bow? It does have a few knots but i believe I could pull off a "training blank" from it.
Anyway, hello from the North :)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Hello from Muskoka, Canada: Total Newb
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2020, 09:42:51 pm »
Welcome to PA.  2.5" HHB could make a hunting weight bow(45#+). You should at least split or saw it in half lengthwise and seal the ends. Sometimes, a stave that small will draw up in reflex and twist as it dries. What I do, I usually saw a pole this size in half lengthwise, bind the 2 halves back together with spacers between for good air circulation and set them aside to dry.
 Good luck with your first attempt and don't forget to ask questions and post pics of your process or problems.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline 5up3rm4n

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2020, 09:47:50 pm »
Thanks! will do! ;D its 62.5" long. i will post a pic.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2020, 09:54:00 pm by 5up3rm4n »

Offline 5up3rm4n

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2020, 10:05:13 pm »
Here is the stave. I harvested it yesterday afternoon. i brought it indoors to dry. Any suggestions, i am wide open. I will split it tomorrow.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2020, 07:08:12 am »
I'm gonna move this to "BOWS" so you will get more input.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline PatM

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2020, 08:09:16 am »
I would look for a better stave.

ps I was just up your way a few days ago on a day hike.

Offline hoosierf

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2020, 09:26:36 am »
I’d give it a try. Rather than split the stave down the middle I’d orient it so the fewest knots will be on the back. Then I’d leave the handle section full diameter and draw knife or hatchet the belly down to rough bow dimensions. Leave the bark on the handle and the back and seal everything else and bring it inside. Don’t put it by a hot fire or stove until it’s stopped losing weight. High heat now would probably ruin it at this point. Seal with shellac or 50% water diluted wood glue. You may be able to start working it in a month. Just track its weight loss and don’t touch it until it stops losing weight.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2020, 10:17:03 am »
Welcome aboard!  The folks here have a wealth of knowledge, as you noticed.  Remember to take lots of pictures and post.  No pics, it didn't happen (lol)!  Ask questions, the only dumb question is the one you don't ask!  Be patient, and use good tools.  What provence are you in, there's a lot of north up there?
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2020, 10:36:15 am »
Hello!!!! and welcome to PA!!!!
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2020, 10:48:59 am »
I think all those knots will come back and bite you. Id go look for a knotless sapling.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline TimBo

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2020, 11:47:34 am »
That looks to be challenging for a first stave.  If you want to try it anyway, I would do as hoosierf suggests.  Splitting them when they are that small can be tricky.  But putting that one aside and looking for a really clean sapling is probably a better bet.

Offline maitus

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2020, 05:36:42 pm »
I’d give it a try. Rather than split the stave down the middle I’d orient it so the fewest knots will be on the back. Then I’d leave the handle section full diameter and draw knife or hatchet the belly down to rough bow dimensions. Leave the bark on the handle and the back and seal everything else and bring it inside. Don’t put it by a hot fire or stove until it’s stopped losing weight. High heat now would probably ruin it at this point. Seal with shellac or 50% water diluted wood glue. You may be able to start working it in a month. Just track its weight loss and don’t touch it until it stops losing weight.
That's what I'd do too. But I'd also clamp the stave into the form to prevent twisting  while drying.

And one more suggestion: I'm a beginner as well and my biggest mistake to bow making is- i have never enough dry staves. Get more staves. So I can make 2 bows in year and one of them is fail :D. There is never to much staves. I have been smarter on this year....
« Last Edit: February 20, 2020, 05:45:31 pm by maitus »

Offline 5up3rm4n

« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2020, 08:13:44 pm »
Well. I am in central Ontario, near the southern point of georgian bay. I decided, that the sapling will make a great walking stick, so I will go out and get some new wood. There is PLENTY of HHB saplings near me so i will find 3 or 4 a bit larger and clearer than the one I posted. I truly appreciate the insights though and they will be key in making my first bow...patience is something i do have. My house is kept around 69-71°F and RH is roughly 35-45%, i have a shed but no workspace so i will have to keep them indoors...is this suffiecient temp and rh?

Offline Weylin

« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2020, 09:58:20 pm »
Welcome. You'll be in good hands here. I agree with PatM and PearlDrums. Get yourself a better stave to start with. You'll thank yourself later. Find something that is pipe straight and knot free. try to find one that's a little longer too so you know you'll have enough to work with. Cut it at 72" and then you can make just about anything with it. You can always trim it down later to suit your design. If you can find one with a little more diameter you'll be better off, though 2.5" is enough to make a bow with. If you get a little larger diameter you wont have as much crown on the back which will help out your bow a bit. Good luck and ask lots of questions.

Offline DC

« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2020, 10:42:36 am »
Well. I am in central Ontario, near the southern point of georgian bay. I decided, that the sapling will make a great walking stick, so I will go out and get some new wood. There is PLENTY of HHB saplings near me so i will find 3 or 4 a bit larger and clearer than the one I posted. I truly appreciate the insights though and they will be key in making my first bow...patience is something i do have. My house is kept around 69-71°F and RH is roughly 35-45%, i have a shed but no workspace so i will have to keep them indoors...is this suffiecient temp and rh?

I've never even seen HHB but I leave all my staves outside(protected)for a couple of months and then bring them in. Wood loses moisture quite fast for the first bit so if you can slow that down some it minimises checking.