Author Topic: Ricardo's arrows  (Read 8526 times)

Offline DC

Re: Ricardo's arrows
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2020, 10:52:26 am »
This is a vague answer but they stiffen up quite a bit. I've only used a few different shoots but they all seemed to stiffen differently so I can't give a definitive answer. Cut them at about 3/8"(1cm) and cut them long then you can move up or down the shoot to find the spine you want. Cobble up a spine tester. I saw one that was two nails and a two lb bunch of bananas.
  with spine tester do you mean the real  thing with the scale like pointer and the diagram or Just 2 nails and a weight and a ruler? I have the second one, 2 nails in work bench, a piece of brick Duc,close to 2lb (weighted on human scale, dont got kitchen scale) taped on an hook with a pointer pointing sideways to a piece of tape measure.

That sounds like it should work as long as you get repeatable results.

I would trim your fletch a little closer. Mine are about 12 mm high.

Offline Ricardovanleeuwen

« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2020, 02:53:41 pm »
I’m a simple arrow fletcher and 9/10 times make mine two fletch Native American style with my own little twist on them.  As for the noise. If your feathers protrude out from the shaft a lot they will wade in the air.

Here’s my style of hand fletching goose feathers.  I don’t mind the small gap between the feather and the shaft.  After trimming them down they fly straight and quiet.
when you do the 2 fletch, you put the feathers with the curve away from the Shaft or toward?

And @ DC ik try trimmimg Them down, as for the spine tester, ik scraping heaps of Wood away with so little difference on the ruler, is there An easy way to
Make it so that It is easyer to see?

Offline aznboi3644

« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2020, 07:10:08 pm »
What do you mean the curve?  I lay the feather so the underside of the feather is against the shaft.  If you noticed I do a 90 degree twist to my fletchings.

Offline DC

« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2020, 07:21:45 pm »

, as for the spine tester, ik scraping heaps of Wood away with so little difference on the ruler, is there An easy way to
Make it so that It is easyer to see?

Not really, you need a pretty accurate way of measuring. Here's a tutorial. You said you had a needle indicator on yours. This tutorial will show you how to calibrate it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rl3oY5dfiH4
Take a look at it and see if this helps. If not we'll dig deeper :D

http://tattooartdesign.blogspot.com/

« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2020, 09:20:23 am »
I measure like on the foto, with needle i mean shapened point to say how much milimeter.  A good shooting fletched Arrow bends like 12 mm (0 point is at 4.2 cm) when i shoot a bare Shaft with same flex It hits the left edge of the target ( shot multiple Times).

Also the other fletched arrows wich i more accuratly gave the same spine, trimmed the feathers a bit, so hitted the middle of the target twice in a row, so It seems like 12 mm flex is good with feathers and without the spine seems to weak
« Last Edit: April 08, 2020, 09:25:37 am by Ricardovanleeuwen »

Offline DC

« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2020, 10:30:23 am »
If the arrow has the proper spine it will go straight bare shafting. The fletching just makes it a little better. Don't fret too much about spine for now. If you can get a fletched arrow to go where you want and fly straight you are doing fine. Save the more detailed spining until you are really in the mood and have figured out the spiner so you have no doubt in the results. Do a bunch of searching for "Spining arrows" and "make your own spiner". I made mine with just stuff from around the shop. People made arrows without a spiner for thousands of years. To tell you the truth if you are just an average or even above average archer you really won't see a big improvement from spining.

Offline DC

« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2020, 02:48:02 pm »
Here's some pictures of mine. Second picture is an eccentric to adjust the zero point for each arrow. Chart and gauge face I printed off the net.

« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2020, 04:51:17 pm »
I know your right about the people before us but im kind of perfectionistic when it comes to some things, like if the Arrow is perfect, then there is only one to blame when missed, and that's the shooter

« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2020, 04:57:14 pm »
And nicely made ,smart think to make the thing to set to 0.
This is till now my best looking Arrow i made so far, ik like the point, Nice Shaft without to Manny knots, and the fletching is glued and wrapped

Offline willie

« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2020, 05:05:20 pm »
Ricardo, the set up you have for testing looks like it might be difficult to keep consistent. if you put two blocks on top of your bench to put your arrow across, then lean a weight on it so that you get about 1 cm deflection with your best shooting arrow.  cut a long thin shim wedge and mark the spot where you best arrow makes contact when the shim is slid underneath.

the trick with natural arrows is going to be if you turn the arrow it will test different on each side. so check your arrows in different positions to find the stiff side and also you might want to see if an arrow has an unusually soft side. after a while you will be able to tell from bending in your hand without using the "tester". keep the stiffest side towards the bow and make the knocks accordingly.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2020, 10:03:35 pm by willie »

« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2020, 07:59:44 pm »
I do put the stiffest side to the bow, i cut the nocks that way as good as possible, need to to work on that exacly 90degrees of stiffest side cut because sometimes its a bit turned

« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2020, 08:45:11 pm »
I did re Read your message but do i need to get the average of all sides ? I always scraped til there was a stiffest 12 milimeter side

The thing with the wedges is smart, should make it

Offline willie

« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2020, 08:56:57 pm »
working with stiffest side is best. I am going to edit my post above. I like arrows without too much differences between sides, although expecting an arrow to measure exactly the same on each side may be asking too much.

Edited for clarity.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2020, 12:12:33 am by willie »

« Reply #28 on: April 08, 2020, 11:10:26 pm »
Ah oke didn't know that, so i should take a shoot witch is all around a Lil bit above spine weight and reduce Them till the stiffest side is on right weight?

bownarra

« Reply #29 on: April 09, 2020, 07:48:04 am »
yes :)