Author Topic: Ricardo's arrows  (Read 8527 times)

Offline Ricardovanleeuwen

Re: Ricardo's arrows
« Reply #30 on: April 18, 2020, 12:53:21 pm »
Last week the police stopped my car because they suspected me from illigal hunting, partly because someone from this forum roported the picture of the poor coot that swim right where my Arrow was going to land.( Thanks and best wishes to that silly person). The police conviscated my arrows because the points (broadheads) arent alowed in my country. I need to make field points, i dont have acces to empty bullet sleeves and have verry low budget. Is It An option top Carve a point om the shaft  and then Haft a metal point wich is matched to the point on the Shaft? Like to make the Shaft point stronger and add weight?

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
« Reply #31 on: April 18, 2020, 01:25:55 pm »
Primitive archery and archer its great and all Ricardovanleeuwen but please, keep it within the law. 
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Offline Deerhunter21

« Reply #32 on: April 18, 2020, 02:14:27 pm »
maybe you can make the tip flat and wrap it really well and glue a layer of fabric to the flat tip??

« Reply #33 on: April 18, 2020, 03:08:38 pm »
Primitive archery and archer its great and all Ricardovanleeuwen but please, keep it within the law.
when the police stopped me i wasnt hunting, i was walking with my dog and shooting stumps.

And i like to have atleast some sort of point so my target dont get ripped apart, also when a point hit something It gets stuck in It, without a point It van bounce in whatever direction resulting in a broken/lost Arrow

Offline Deerhunter21

« Reply #34 on: April 18, 2020, 03:12:02 pm »
yeah if you hang canvas up and you shoot it with a blunt, it wont stick. it hits it and falls

I just mean if your country says no broadheads, maybe you just dont make them.  :OK

« Reply #35 on: April 18, 2020, 03:44:27 pm »
What i mean is like a reinforcend sharpened shaft

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #36 on: April 18, 2020, 03:47:47 pm »
What are your arrows made of. You can taper the end and burn it black and wrap wire around an inch or so behind the point for weight. Fire hardened points are pretty sturdy on a hardwood shoot.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

« Reply #37 on: April 18, 2020, 05:00:56 pm »
At the moment i have rosé shoot shafts wich im working on since the lighter weight so the instinctive vertical aiming is less important, they are also easyer to straighten then dogwood. When i got like 12 good shooting fletched rosé arrows il start on the dogwood. I also have a few Hazel and bird Cherry shoots drying but they seem to be way more flexibele at the same diameter

Offline DC

« Reply #38 on: April 18, 2020, 09:31:53 pm »
You can get screw in tips for aluminum and carbon arrows. If your arrow has a pith(I think rose does) the tips will slip right in with a bit of thick CA or epoxy. Be sure to wrap the shaft with thread to prevent splitting.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #39 on: April 18, 2020, 10:13:51 pm »
Good thought, DC. I've done that before with cane arrows and it works. Also, a duplex nail with the double head ground to a point and the shank inserted in the pith. You may have to drill out the pith first.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

gutpile

« Reply #40 on: April 27, 2020, 10:20:31 am »
I hate to be the bearer of bad news but those hafted heads are gonna bounce right off a deer ... you have to have a smooth transition from haft to point with no bulge at haft or its not going to penetrate.. found that out the hard way...gut

« Reply #41 on: April 27, 2020, 04:36:41 pm »
I dont use these kind of points annymore because im suspected for having illigal weapon since these kind of Arrowheads were against the laws...

« Reply #42 on: April 27, 2020, 04:55:14 pm »
My latest dogwood arrows, finaly found my glue of choice for the fletching, hot glue from a glue gun

The arrows with the collored bands below the wrapping are the ones who fly good most of the time.
Tonight i tried the  glow in the dark tape on Them in the hope to see a flying light bolt but once in the air its invissible for the Shooter at least. I think they Comes in handy when searching for Them in the dark. I should try put a thin strip in the nock for when there is barely daylight left..
The Paint i dyed the top of the shaft with is nail polish and some glitter stuff i found by the big trash bin on a parking lot by a shopping centre (i see myself as a neo hunter- gatherer, learned because there were Times i had no better option, wich got me really creatieve)
« Last Edit: April 28, 2020, 04:20:21 pm by Ricardovanleeuwen »

« Reply #43 on: April 28, 2020, 04:21:43 pm »
Forgot the pic

« Reply #44 on: April 30, 2020, 11:48:15 am »
Found a few dogwood shafts :P