Author Topic: Online get together this weekend  (Read 5936 times)

Offline HH~

Re: Online get together this weekend
« Reply #45 on: April 03, 2020, 09:48:33 am »
The one with the pencil in the canyon? Was purty straight wood cept in rolled inverted at one tip. It was out last 6" by 35 degrees. Actually it was a trench at one end and had to move centerline to side of that gulch which twisted tip grain on 35 degree angle.

Think that thing 4-5 five days to scrape to a ring. Entire back with a S curve scraper and sharp palm chisel at one point.

Yeah, we worked on 3-4 bows yesterday all day. Took a break for late lunch and went back at it. Turkey opener Sat so, no bow work in morning for sure.

HH~
MAFA: Makin America Free Again

Long is the road, Hard is the way.

Mother Gue never raised such a foolish child. . . .

Readily will I display the intestinal fortitude required to fight onto the Ranger objective and complete the mission though I be the lone survivor. RLTW

Offline TimBo

« Reply #46 on: April 03, 2020, 10:43:49 am »
Unfortunately I have never met Pappy, so I could be wrong, but I think that is really Zeus with his lightning bolt. 

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #47 on: April 04, 2020, 02:01:56 pm »
well this weekend started out pretty good the girls woke me up and wanted to work on their bows so after i had woken up an bit more we went outside on the porch (my current workshop area since my shop still isnt in place bc of all the rain, then i still have to hook up electrical and blah blah blah) to work on some wood.
while they scraped on some apple i finished up tillering on a short stick of European Buckthorn i had laying around. its an inch at the handle and like and 1 1/8" at the widest. such tough elastic wood! came in at #72@27" and is 55"NTN
snuck down into random utility room in our basement where humidity is low to glue up another Ottoman bow i started as another "quarantine" project.
slapped some more finish on a lemonwood longbow before i left so it could dry while i was gone for the day.

After that i made a quick trip to a little shin-dig at Carson place, also brought him some 500 fir shafts that had been sorted and matched. kind of like a delivery dude haha
We shot a bit, had a few brews, big ole fire, and swapping hunting stories and stupid sh&# we've done over the years. You know the way a Bowyers get together goes. all and all a good time.

anyways heres a couple pics

Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline Dvshunter

« Reply #48 on: April 04, 2020, 04:19:56 pm »
I'm glad to see guys got some shop time in! WE HAVE ALL BEEN WORKING ON PROJECTS THIS WEEKEND. I'm typing on my computer so we are learning toadapt.
"There is a natural mystic blowing through the air; if you listen carefully now you will hear." Robert Nesta Marley

Offline HH~

« Reply #49 on: April 04, 2020, 06:50:46 pm »
Hedge was in the blind with selfbow this morning.

HH~

Readily will I display the intestinal fortitude required to fight onto the Ranger objective and complete the mission though I be the lone survivor. RLTW

Offline DC

« Reply #50 on: April 04, 2020, 06:53:44 pm »
I'm guessing that's a decoy out there. If it was a real live turkey your knee would have been blurry ;D ;D ;D

Offline HH~

« Reply #51 on: April 05, 2020, 11:07:28 am »
Worked garden today. Put my cabbage seedlings in and start my six varieties of Heirloom tomatoes. One of my varieties I call JCM's are ones my father got off one branch of a tomato that had a color phase anomaly. Been in my family for 40yrs. The Baggets of Tennesse have them now in their 3rd or fouth generation as well.

I had some really nice root end billets I decided to split and match up. Really very nice wood for Tennessee Hedge. Should make fine pyramid bows.

HH~

Offline HH~

« Reply #52 on: April 05, 2020, 11:12:05 am »
More Wuhan Days project weekend.

HH~

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #53 on: April 06, 2020, 01:18:20 pm »
That’s a nice set of billets my dude! Is that an Osage axe handle?
I noticed a lot of bowyers, including myself have Osage for axe handles lol
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline HH~

« Reply #54 on: April 06, 2020, 07:46:09 pm »
Makes a purty handle but will not take the punishment a good hickory handle will.

Did a belly split off a belly split for a nice set of billets after turkey hunting this morning.

Hedge~

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #55 on: April 07, 2020, 12:38:18 am »
Makes a purty handle but will not take the punishment a good hickory handle will.

Did a belly split off a belly split for a nice set of billets after turkey hunting this morning.

Hedge~

Idk man mines taken a beating and doesn’t have a scratch catch say that about my hickory ones. White oak is by far my favorite though.
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline HH~

« Reply #56 on: April 07, 2020, 08:54:13 am »
some more from yesterday.

HH~