Author Topic: New member just getting started  (Read 9751 times)

Offline jamesh76

Re: New member just getting started
« Reply #30 on: April 03, 2020, 12:03:06 am »
yeah, mine are pretty stiff now.  Once I get the backing on I will thin the belly some to get it bending. Might be a slow couple days waiting for the glue to dry.

I do have some cloth camo material I though about using as a backing instead of the paper......   Not sure if its cotton, poly or what. I dont imagine the camo pattern would show through, but that wouldn't be the purpose.

Offline willie

« Reply #31 on: April 03, 2020, 12:28:47 am »
James

In reply 22, the top pic of the end of the limb over the yellow broom.  Still not sure what to say about the grain. can you take pics of that end again, side, back and end view?

some times It is a better to see if a piece of wood is going to make a bow and start tillering before one spends too much time on cosmetics. the light backing you propose will not change anything if you cannot get the bow halfway tilleerd without it.

Offline jamesh76

« Reply #32 on: April 03, 2020, 01:41:14 am »
James

In reply 22, the top pic of the end of the limb over the yellow broom.  Still not sure what to say about the grain. can you take pics of that end again, side, back and end view?

some times It is a better to see if a piece of wood is going to make a bow and start tillering before one spends too much time on cosmetics. the light backing you propose will not change anything if you cannot get the bow halfway tilleerd without it.

Sure, I will get one of all 4 sides and end grain when I get home from work in the morning.

Offline jamesh76

« Reply #33 on: April 03, 2020, 07:40:52 am »

Offline jamesh76

« Reply #34 on: April 03, 2020, 07:42:04 am »

Offline jamesh76

« Reply #35 on: April 03, 2020, 07:44:22 am »

Offline jamesh76

« Reply #36 on: April 03, 2020, 07:45:12 am »
 Maybe part of it is just because of the tapers.

Offline jamesh76

« Reply #37 on: April 03, 2020, 08:35:11 am »
One thing I dont understand. Rounding edges. I slightly rounded back edges and a little more on the belly side and I know when bow is finished you should have more less a crown on the belly. However. When tillering, do you keep the crown on the back as you tiller? Is it set I initially then kept through the tillering process?

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
« Reply #38 on: April 03, 2020, 08:49:11 am »
you just dont want any sharp sides.  crowning is different then rounding the edges. just take a piece of sandpaper and just make the 4 edges smooth.

uhh, i also don't want to be the one that says this but that grain is not good. im sorry but maybe keep going, but if you do, back it and keep it in the back of your head that your on thin ice. (im a guy that really doesn't like bad grain on a board bow. I had a friend draw that bow so i could look at the tiller. He gave it back and i drew it and it blew up giving me a scar on my chest)
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Offline Deerhunter21

« Reply #39 on: April 03, 2020, 08:50:00 am »
im gonna draw you up a picture of rounded edges and a crowned back and belly.

Offline mmattockx

« Reply #40 on: April 03, 2020, 10:07:11 am »
One thing I dont understand. Rounding edges. I slightly rounded back edges and a little more on the belly side and I know when bow is finished you should have more less a crown on the belly. However. When tillering, do you keep the crown on the back as you tiller? Is it set I initially then kept through the tillering process?

You radius the edges on the back to help keep a splinter from lifting on the corner between the back and the side of the limb. You don't 'need' a crown on the belly at all, having it flat is actually more efficient from a structural standpoint. But having it crowned a bit makes it easier to scrape wood off as you are tillering.

Mark

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #41 on: April 03, 2020, 12:05:18 pm »
Welcome to PA!  You seem to be on the right path!  The radius of the corners is about the size of a pea, or so.  Don't rush, and keep a close eye on your tillers get.
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Deerhunter21

« Reply #42 on: April 03, 2020, 12:47:15 pm »
here ya go

Offline willie

« Reply #43 on: April 03, 2020, 01:30:26 pm »
Maybe part of it is just because of the tapers.
I think so.

You radius the edges on the back to help keep a splinter from lifting on the corner between the back and the side of the limb. You don't 'need' a crown on the belly at all, having it flat is actually more efficient from a structural standpoint. But having it crowned a bit makes it easier to scrape wood off as you are tillering.
  :OK

Welcome to PA!  You seem to be on the right path!  The radius of the corners is about the size of a pea, or so.  Don't rush, and keep a close eye on your tillers get.

Yes, I have learned (with broken boards and hinged staves) to develop an eye for judging the slightest discrepancy in curvature. the earlier on the better.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #44 on: April 03, 2020, 02:27:44 pm »
You are pretty deep into this build so I hesitate to say anything but that board has many run outs. It might work with a backing....

But I look at backings as insurance not a prerequisite to keep it together.

I know what it is like to want to build a bow and to not have a stave so you go to the box store and settle for one with terrible if not dangerous grain.

But you can't do that. Walk away.

Ideally you want straight grain tip to tip with no more than 2 run outs per limb.

Anyway, more on my site. Be careful.

http://traditionalarchery101.com

Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!