Author Topic: Super glue dilemma  (Read 3259 times)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Super glue dilemma
« on: April 02, 2020, 08:26:07 am »
I've noticed over the last few months that tubes(bottles) of super glue(liquid) looks more like gel, thickened in the unopened tube. This is Lock-Tite and Gorilla super glue. Before I started looking at each bottle in the store to be sure, some of what I had at home was solid in the unopened bottle.
 I guess my point is...if you do go out and if you do buy super glue check each bottle carefully to be sure it is actually liquid(watery).
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
Re: Super glue dilemma
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2020, 08:46:14 am »
Yup, been caught out by that one!  I buy the really cheap multi-pack tubes now, effectively they are a single use tube as they have always dried out by the next time I need them (after opening) but they are something like 65p per tube so I can live with that as I only use ca for closing up splits and shakes.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2020, 08:49:19 am »
Cant believe it! Last night I opened a brand new package/ bottle of Loc Tite and it was gelled up. I have used dozens of bottles and never have seen that. Makes me wonder if they produced a bad batch.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2020, 08:55:28 am »
It's been going on for a few months here, Pearlie. I wonder what the shelf life is on super glue.
 I had someone offer me a quart one time. There was no way I could have used that much and I didn't want that quantity sitting around in a glass jar. Sounded like trouble to me  :o  so I said no.
 Stuck, I may try the small tubes next time.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline DC

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2020, 08:56:06 am »
I get mine from the local hobby shop. The idea being that they have a higher volume so the glue will be fresher. It comes in .5 and 1 oz bottles($8 and $11). Once I get it home it stays open until it's gone. Usually 2-3 months. The bottles have a very narrow tip so there is just a needle sized opening.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2020, 09:03:16 am »
DC, these small bottles of Lock Tite and Gorilla glue super glue all have pin sized holes in them. I get them either from WalMart , Lowes or our local ACE Hdwe.

Offline DC

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2020, 09:11:59 am »
Way back when I was playing with racing R/C sailboats the other guys used the little Lock Tite type tubes and they always seemed to be gelled or clogged. I read somewhere about using hobby shop CA because it's fresher. I've never looked back. I guess it costs a little(a lot?) more but it always seems to be good.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2020, 10:21:20 am »
My closest Hobby Lobby is an hour drive away.  >:(

Offline DC

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2020, 10:54:33 am »
I think CA is in the "dangerous shipping" category too. If our hobby shop closes the nearest is a six hour return trip. Hope it makes it through pandemic.

Offline sleek

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2020, 10:55:57 am »
I just buy the gel type stuff anyway for overlays and such. What are yall using the liquid for?
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2020, 10:56:45 am »
In the UK I buy my low viscosity superglue on line (Ebay). Most of the over the counter stuff is over priced and thick or medium viscosity.
Thick for overlays, thin for cracks etc.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline darinputman

« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2020, 11:16:09 am »
I get the 10 pack at Harbor Freight for around $3.00, buy several packs at a time and no problems with it yet.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2020, 11:20:36 am »
I use the thin for cracks and knots. I use gel and other glues for tip overlays.

Offline DC

« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2020, 12:10:07 pm »
I use the thin for cracks and knots. I use gel and other glues for tip overlays.

+1

Offline jeffp51

« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2020, 01:39:49 pm »
I think CA is in the "dangerous shipping" category too. If our hobby shop closes the nearest is a six hour return trip. Hope it makes it through pandemic.
Na--I just ordered a 2 ounce bottle online, no problem.  I believe most of the superglue in the world is produced by one or two manufacturers,  so the only difference from brand to brand is the bottle.  I use Bob Smith industries glue- it keeps well.

Also, CA glue is sensitive to heat.  so ideally you should store it in the freezer.  Some I know store a big bottle in the freezer and transfer .5 oz at a time to a smaller bottle.  but if you are keeping your CA in a hot garage, it is going to thicken up.