Author Topic: Super glue dilemma  (Read 3256 times)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Super glue dilemma
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2020, 03:30:22 pm »
I've been using these brands of super glue for years and just recently, in the last year or so it's been getting iffy if I can find liquid super glue that hasn't gelled or been solid in the unopened package in the store.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline DC

« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2020, 03:55:21 pm »
Mine is Bob Smith too. Nice to know it's not in the dangerous category. :D

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2020, 04:21:52 pm »
 yep jeff is right....I get my super glue from a basket making company.In 3/4 ounce bottles.That's a fair amount at one time.Sometimes it does'nt get all used up for well over a year.One is super thin and one is gell.They reccommend to keep it in a freezer when not using to last longer.I do and it has worked for me to keep it good.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2020, 04:27:55 pm by BowEd »
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline willie

« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2020, 12:39:33 am »
I have had better luck with shelf life with the small metal squeeze tubes

Offline darinputman

« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2020, 07:21:31 pm »
I was fletching some arrows and ran out of duco cement last night, had a bottle of kwick it adhesive that has been in the fridge a few years and it still works great. May start keeping my super glue in the fridge with my unibond.

Offline EdwardS

« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2020, 07:33:15 pm »
 Cyanoacrylate is a self catalyzing glue that uses its own ability to make heat to cure the glue.  Storing it in the freezer makes it last much longer.

I use it as a wood finish sometimes.  Resealable hobby bottles always outlast those metal tubes.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2020, 08:10:49 pm »
I've switched to this superglue.  I order it from ebay but it's available on different sites.  Will H told me about it.  It's cheaper per volume than buying loctite at walmart.  I get the super thin and it's about the same viscosity as rubbing alcohol.  You have to be careful with it.  It's so thin it will run everywhere.  Last night I glue some work boots back together and before I was done I had pieces of latex gloves stuck all over my boots. 

I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2020, 08:12:18 am »
After I buy super glue and epoxy I always store it in my shop refrigerator. I haven't had that problem since I started doing that.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2020, 08:48:57 am »
Eddie, these are gelled or totally solidified in the stores. I just checked again in our local grocery store and most were gelled and none were thin.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline aznboi3644

« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2020, 07:20:51 pm »
I use the Harbor freight small tubes a lot to seal my sinew wraps and cracks.  It’s thin and flows nicely.  I’ve had the expensive gorilla and loctite super glue gel up on me so I’m over that.

Offline rps3

« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2020, 08:33:31 am »
I like and use the bob smith glue also. It makes such quick work of nock overlays. It is probably something I am doing wrong, but has anyone else had problems with nock overlays popping off years later on their bows. I have had this happen several times, once was actually on a trade bow that I obviously didnt do. Just recently went back to using tightbond for overlays so this doesnt happen.

I only use 10 strands d97 also.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2020, 09:08:22 am by rps3 »

Offline DC

« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2020, 11:17:13 am »
I use CA for my tips but I do have a slight mistrust of it. Years ago I worked on the operators switchboard for the telephone company. We had to "temporarily" cover about 20 of strips of indicator lights. We used CA to glue a plastic strip over them. About a couple of months later they all fell of within two days. I've never seen anything like it. The switchboards got quite warm/hot so we always assumed somehow the heat degraded the CA. There is always the possibility that the operators popped them off to screw with our heads but I don't think so. We never used CA for that again.

Offline jeffp51

« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2020, 01:20:07 pm »
The only time superglue is a problem that I have seen is when you haven't prepared the surfaces well.  The thin likes to have perfect contact--no voids at all--and you have to watch for grease or oils.  I have model airplanes held together with CA that have withstood 15 years of flying in all sorts of temperatures and humidity and G-forces.  The only time it let go was after the full power on nose dive into the dirt---Well, it wasn't the glue that let go, but the wood in between,  I guess.

I trust CA in the right applications more than about anything.  For some stuff, though, it doesn't work at all.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2020, 01:56:27 pm »
I use smooth-on for tip overlays.You may have to wait 24 hours naturally or under a heat lamp for 5 to 6 hours but they've never failed me,but as said proper surface prep is critical.Even recurving tips steaming the overlays don't let go.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline HH~

« Reply #29 on: April 12, 2020, 12:26:48 pm »
Outlaw, Will H got that from where we all got that info...... Gary Davis

He gave us a class on BSI family of CA Glues. There are a wide variety of them for different application, thin, thick, gap filling, etc etc.

Get it online from a host of sellers. Only bad thind about CA on tips is if you drop bow on hard surface and you horn or antler they will blow off almost every time. Take your time and use good two part epoxy like EA 40 or better yet Brownells Acra Glass gel. Not much different than EA 40. The tips not coming off unless you cut them off.

HH~
MAFA: Makin America Free Again

Long is the road, Hard is the way.

Mother Gue never raised such a foolish child. . . .

Readily will I display the intestinal fortitude required to fight onto the Ranger objective and complete the mission though I be the lone survivor. RLTW