Author Topic: 2020 Virtual Bowmaking Festival  (Read 36374 times)

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
Re: 2020 Virtual Bowmaking Festival
« Reply #345 on: April 09, 2020, 08:49:44 pm »
Yup Pearl you know it. I got 99 acres of beets planted. Got rained out again. Not a lot, but enough to get me out of the fields. I spent most of the day doing books and working on computer. I suck on computer so everything I do takes me a hundred time longer than someone who knows what their doing. One of the trades I’m not really a jack of. If I live long enough maybe I’ll figure it out.

Tonight I did a little more tillering and narrowed up the tips some more. I got her out to 45@27. The tiller isn’t perfect yet but pretty close. Would like to finish her up before I get to busy.
Bjrogg

A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #346 on: April 09, 2020, 11:42:39 pm »
Another size

Those sure are some pretty sticks!
The one close to the middle with the speckled back, what did you back it with?

Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline bassman

« Reply #347 on: April 09, 2020, 11:59:28 pm »
 Thank you Patrick ,I backed it with a black speckled cotton fabric.

Offline bushboy

« Reply #348 on: April 10, 2020, 12:16:55 am »
Here's a bamboo backed yellow heart
The core was heat shaped in a shallow 5 curve before glueup,so the brace looks a little weird.
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #349 on: April 10, 2020, 08:36:19 am »
Little it of snow this morning. Still kinda hoping I can start planting sugar beets this afternoon. We always say beets have to get snowed on after you plant them and again before you harvest them to really get all they have to offer. My first 99 acres are half way there.

I got this one pretty close. Top limb could bend a little more in outer. This one is a little funky. A little natural reflex out of top fade and deflex out of bottom. I’m trying to tiller for three under and 29”. The arrow is 32”.
This one is for a fellow Michigander.  Not far from me. Wish he could give it a try about now. Probably a violation of our further extended safe home stay safe lockdown though. Guessing it’s not considered essential. Probably going to have to wait until at least May. For now I guess my fellow Michigander will just have to look at pictures.

Fortunately this won’t effect everyone at our virtual bow meet.

Bjrogg

Offline paulsemp

« Reply #350 on: April 10, 2020, 09:50:44 am »
BJ something looks a little off with that top limb. Looks like you might have flat spot around the middle of it

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #351 on: April 10, 2020, 10:00:43 am »
BJ something looks a little off with that top limb. Looks like you might have flat spot around the middle of it

I agree Paul. I’ve been working on that spot. This is the first chance I got full draw picture in hand and also first three under. There is a lot of wiggle there but I agree. I don’t like the bend or lack there of in that top limb. It feels balanced in hand but it looks kinda ugly at full draw.

Offline HH~

« Reply #352 on: April 10, 2020, 11:00:04 am »
Looks gud to me BJ. Yer grabbing a handful of string! What is that overdrAw equate to in inches?

Shawn’
MAFA: Makin America Free Again

Long is the road, Hard is the way.

Mother Gue never raised such a foolish child. . . .

Readily will I display the intestinal fortitude required to fight onto the Ranger objective and complete the mission though I be the lone survivor. RLTW

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #353 on: April 10, 2020, 11:20:13 am »
Looks gud to me BJ. Yer grabbing a handful of string! What is that overdrAw equate to in inches?

Shawn’

Thanks Shawn. I think Paul is right. The top limb has been making me trouble from the beginning. I’ve been chasing that spot the whole time. I think I got it a little better now but nobody to take a picture again. It’s always one of the nice things about these meets. Having some more eyes.

The arrow is 32”. I’m thinking that’s really close to 29.5”?  The needle on my scales broke but I think I can still see where it’s supposed to be. Right now on the tree I’m liking it better and I’m right at 46@28.5 if I have my scales figured out right . Anyone here have a scales I can borrow?lol.

Never mind. Time to get back in the tractor.
Bjrogg

Offline lebhuntfish

« Reply #354 on: April 11, 2020, 08:23:58 am »
Looking good Bj! One you fix that stiff spot on the upper mid limb it looks like it will be a sweet bow.
I got a extra scale in the side box in my truck. It's back at camp, bit of a walk but you can have it if you would want to grab it.

Patrick

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #355 on: April 11, 2020, 09:57:29 am »
Thanks Patrick. I’m planting sugar beets again, but maybe I’ll swing around that way when I’m finished. Just love how everyone shares all their stuff at these meets.
Bjrogg

Offline lebhuntfish

« Reply #356 on: April 11, 2020, 10:54:29 am »
No problem bud, the thing I really like is, if you forget to bring it someone else usually has on you can use. It might take them a little while to get it to you but you can count on someone having what you need.

Patrick

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #357 on: April 12, 2020, 03:46:14 pm »
Lookin good BJ,.... the bow that is. You on the other hand look a bit strained yanking the string back that far. ;D
You know I'm just kidding my friend, you are by far the most handsome farmer in all of northern Michigan.
Hope to meet up at Marshall or Elm Hall yet this year, always nice to spend time around you.
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #358 on: April 12, 2020, 04:04:08 pm »
Thanks Greg. It certainly is a bit longer than my normal draw length. Probably close to 5” longer.

I probably am getting a little scruffy looking. They shut all our barbers down several weeks ago. I was due for a haircut before they shut them down. Starting to feel like the 70’s . So far my wife won’t cut it and won’t let me.lol. We’ll see what she says after another month.

I sure hope we can do Marshall or Elm Hall. It’s great to see you here , but it’d be better in person. Tell Sharon and Nate Happy Easter for me. Hopefully see you all soon.

Bjrogg

Offline Czusky

« Reply #359 on: April 13, 2020, 09:48:17 am »
Hello everyone!

I hope I'm not late to the party and that this is the right thread to post in.
Recently, I've got more interested in "historical" archery (through the debates on YT on which side of a longbow you're supposed to have the arrow) and I want to get more into it myself. I looked online, but all the historical style bows are pretty costly, esp. with shipping. And since I love the feeling of creating things myself, I've decided to try and build it myself.

Here is when I've run into a corner. On the internet, there's so much material and advice on how to build bows. But I haven't really been able to find anything much about the traditional European/English way of making at least somewhat historically accurate bows, especially something comprehensive to a novice bowyer like I am.

I'd like to ask if someone could point me where to start, any tips, tricks, guides do's and dont's welcome, or if there's any article or thread that I've missed and would be helpful.

Thank you for reading!

P.S: Since this is my first post here ever, I maybe should introduce myself a bit. For few more days, I'm 19yo guy living in the Czech Republic. It's close to a decade that I'm practicing historical/stage fencing and I have been making and fixing stuff with my dad or brothers for almost as long as I can remember. I love creating stuff, nothing can beat the feeling of using something I created myself. This should be about enough :)