Author Topic: 2020 Virtual Bowmaking Festival  (Read 36371 times)

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
Re: 2020 Virtual Bowmaking Festival
« Reply #360 on: April 13, 2020, 11:11:06 am »
Well welcome to the party Czusky. And welcome to Primitive Archery site. Don’t think your to late . This party is going to continue till we can have some real meets.

My understanding is that you would like to learn how to make a English War Bow? Del is on this site and he make some nice ones. I believe he has a site of his own but not sure. Was kinda hoping he would join our international virtual bow meet. There is actually a War Bow section in this forum. If you look on the home page I think it’s right below the Bow section. This is the most popular section on the site. However there are specialty sections for War Bows, Horn Bows, Flight Bows, Flintknapping, Aarows and other stuff.

I applaud your desire and think you have come to the right place. Making a functional bow though is slightly more complicated than just making something to exact dimensions. I’m sure you can handle it though. We need to prepare “back” of bow so it can handle tension strength. We need to remove wood from the belly side ( the side towards your belly) to spread the compression forces out evenly and have a proper bend. That’s the simple explanation.

If you want you could check out the war bow section. Sometimes it’s a little slow. But you’ll find some interesting stuff I’m sure.

Once again welcome to PA site
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline mmattockx

« Reply #361 on: April 13, 2020, 11:16:29 am »
I'd like to ask if someone could point me where to start, any tips, tricks, guides do's and dont's welcome, or if there's any article or thread that I've missed and would be helpful.

Welcome. In addition to the War Bow section that bjrogg pointed to there is also a section farther down the index called How To's and Build Along's. Look through there for some details on bow building in general and ELB's in particular.

Mark

Offline Likemp

« Reply #362 on: April 13, 2020, 11:27:44 am »
I'm going to jump on the bandwagon of newbie bowyers chiming in here. Hello to you in the Czech Republic!! Is there anyone in the Midwest USA? Specifically SW Wisconsin? I happened to jump into making bows a couple weeks before the quarantine happened, but once this craziness is over I would love to find out what the community is like in my neck of the woods. I know people certainly like their venison here.

Right now I'm trying to make a pyramid and American flat bow out of a small black locust I took down on my property a couple months ago. Currently they're roughed out and sitting in a warm room in my house, trying to slowly speed up the drying process and practice other parts of the process. The last thing I did was add tip overlays to the pyramid bow from a small fallen oak limb that I had let dry and cut chunks out of. I think they're probably overbuilt, could that cause any issues? I kinda like the way they look and will probably sand then down a bit as I finish the bow.  I'm hoping to post some tillering pictures of it to get some feedback when I get the chance.  Thanks for reading!!

Offline ksnow

« Reply #363 on: April 13, 2020, 11:35:02 am »
Likemp,

I am in east central WI. Welcome aboard.

Overbuilt tips will slow down your arrow speed and cause hand shock when shooting.

Offline Likemp

« Reply #364 on: April 13, 2020, 11:48:59 am »
Ksnow,

Thank you!

I guess I'll find out then, when I start shooting it in.

Offline Swampman

• Primitive Archer subscription number PM109299
« Reply #365 on: April 13, 2020, 12:22:44 pm »
Likemp,

I am in SE Minnesota.

Mike

Offline Likemp

« Reply #366 on: April 13, 2020, 12:54:19 pm »
Hi Mike,

Very nice to "meet" you, your stuff is quite impressive, I've seen your name a lot during my digging through different threads.
Funny that we're probably not that far apart, I'm less than an hour from the border.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #367 on: April 14, 2020, 02:04:04 pm »
Hope you guys can get together in person.

I’m hoping the party gets going good this weekend. I might have a little time. I finished planting sugar beets today. We always say. Sugar Beets need to be snowed on after you plant them and before you harvest them to get the most out of them.

Just finished and looks like their off to a good start.
Bjrogg

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #368 on: April 14, 2020, 02:18:10 pm »
Im hoping to get back in my shop in 7-10 days. But, real estate transactions have stolen my time away. Selling a few houses, buying a house, closing on a hunting cabin and so on. Incredibly frustrating with all the restrictions we are under.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #369 on: April 14, 2020, 02:52:46 pm »
I hear you Chris. Hope you don’t need to do any painting.

I’m so glad we have our beets planted. Most people don’t understand the logistics of planting and taking care of a crop. I’ve been working at getting everything I need and it’s a lot of stuff. I say I, but it’s really WE. And a lot of other people to. Hoping to get through this quickly, but I’m preparing for the long haul. Good Luck with you transactions. It’s pretty much over phone, or computer for everything.
Bjrogg

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #370 on: April 14, 2020, 04:13:32 pm »
You can keep that snow up north BJ.  I'm hoping to get back to work on my bow this week.  I started on a non-archery related osage project and it's taken up most of my time.  I should be wrapping it up on my next day off work. 

Pearly, I hope to see your new place in person sometime.  Good luck with it.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
« Reply #371 on: April 14, 2020, 09:45:03 pm »
Freaking hail damage! Hope everyone else in the storm is doing om. On the bright side, I'm going turkey hunting tomorrow. Not archery, just plain old shotgun.
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Offline Czusky

« Reply #372 on: April 15, 2020, 02:58:00 am »
First of all, thanks for very warm welcome :)

Yes, Bjrogg, you got it right. I just avoided this designation because it (as far as I know) implies high drawweights, starting at 85 lbs and that I don't feel is a very good starting point. I've figured already that there is quite a bit more that goes into the art of bowmaking than it seems on the first glance. Thanks for pointing me to the other sections, I've skimmed through them superficially even before posting but now I have hours (if not days :D ) worth of reading ahead. Some of the older threads seem (judging from the title) to be quite exactly what I want to know.

Thanks again,
Czusky

Offline Swampman

• Primitive Archer subscription number PM109299
« Reply #373 on: April 15, 2020, 07:15:10 am »
Freaking hail damage! Hope everyone else in the storm is doing om. On the bright side, I'm going turkey hunting tomorrow. Not archery, just plain old shotgun.

Minnesota's Turkey season opened today. We have 10 inches of snow on the ground and we just set a record low temperature of 8 degrees.  I think I will skip turkey hunting for now.

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
« Reply #374 on: April 15, 2020, 01:28:56 pm »
WOW! that was awesome!!! heres the story!

so we went to the closest area possible and my hunting buddy and i set up at the corner of the property, the birds were still in the trees so we did light calling. the hens flew down and one called back and forth to us. it came straight at us, saw our decoys, and didn't even care. just walked off the property. so then we reposition. while hes setting up the decoys, i sit down and then. GLOBLOBLOBL! i look to my right and every single tom, and jake were walking in a single file line. at this point he's already down so he calls. i take my gun off safety. the biggest gobbler ive ever seen pauses and looks at our decoys... and keeps on walking. my partner calles a little bit more, clucking and making the decoys presence known. he pulls two hens away, at least i thought they were hens. then i see the littlest beards coming out of their chests. I have never shot a turkey so this hunt was just the "we need to get him one!" hunt. so he says, "Russell, you can shoot!" and i slowly bring my benelli shotgun up. adrenaline shot through me and i put the bead right on its neck, or so i thought. I rushed the shot, never a good thing, and i missed. it runs and i take a follow up shot, but as most of you know, with a turkey choke, turkey shot, and the turkey being at 10 yards, the pattern was the size of a softball and of course i miss again. i take a third shot, put it right on its head and... miss. welp on to the next place!! nothing else really happened.
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.