Author Topic: Mocataugen (crooked knife) build along starts NOW!  (Read 11795 times)

Offline Handforged

• Limestone Canyon Forge, Monarch MT.
Re: Mocataugen (crooked knife) build along starts NOW!
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2020, 12:13:58 pm »
No one else on board before we go a little farther? I was hoping to have a few giving it a try.
At the forge- 406-781-9098

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2020, 12:28:25 pm »
i would but im missing some stuff. i would love to do it still.
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2020, 12:50:37 am »
Like Russell! Only missing a forge! (f) (lol), quenching tank, a real anvil, and time!  Watching closely!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Mr. Woolery

« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2020, 02:42:55 am »
I’ll be on board Saturday, gods willing. Been super busy and the weather is still too cold. Supposed to be above freezing by the weekend, though.

Forgive me if you already covered it, but how do you prefer to put the bend in?  Over a male form like the anvil horn or a female form like a swage block?

Patrick

Offline Handforged

« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2020, 10:45:09 am »
I’ll be on board Saturday, gods willing. Been super busy and the weather is still too cold. Supposed to be above freezing by the weekend, though.

Forgive me if you already covered it, but how do you prefer to put the bend in?  Over a male form like the anvil horn or a female form like a swage block?

Patrick

Doesn't really make a difference. Around the horn will give a nice curve. I use a cylinder that mounts in my hardy for turning sharp curves. Just keep in mind, whatever curve you make needs to be able to be sharpened at some point.

Offline Handforged

« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2020, 11:11:53 am »
Like Russell! Only missing a forge! (f) (lol), quenching tank, a real anvil, and time!  Watching closely!
Hawkdancer

If you've got a torch, a piece of railroad iron and a gallon of mineral oil, you can do it!

Offline Mr. Woolery

« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2020, 12:30:39 pm »
One of my perpetual frustrations with bent blades is the cross-section deformation. Flat doesn’t stay flat in cross section. I remember frustrating my Mechanics of Materials professor when I pointed out that plane sections don’t remain plane when a bar deforms. It is a lot harder to calculate strengths and for class purposes we could pretend, but it always annoys me to have a categorical statement made when I know it isn’t true.

My experiments have bounced between male and female forms just looking for minimizing that effect.

It is still below freezing today, but I hope to get in the shop tomorrow.

Patrick

Offline Handforged

« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2020, 01:34:15 pm »
One of my perpetual frustrations with bent blades is the cross-section deformation. Flat doesn’t stay flat in cross section. I remember frustrating my Mechanics of Materials professor when I pointed out that plane sections don’t remain plane when a bar deforms. It is a lot harder to calculate strengths and for class purposes we could pretend, but it always annoys me to have a categorical statement made when I know it isn’t true.

My experiments have bounced between male and female forms just looking for minimizing that effect.

It is still below freezing today, but I hope to get in the shop tomorrow.

Patrick
Here is something to take into account. What you mentioned here is true, the cross section of steel does deform after it is bent. However, we do the bending when the steel is still in the annealed state (soft). Form your curvature THEN we thermocycle the steel, treating it like any other knife blade,  to reorganize the carbon molecules within the blade. Three thermocycles on any handforging is average and minimum for me to "Normalize" the steel from the forces that have been imparted on it in the process of shaping and that does include bending it.  So after normalizing the steel through thermocycles, we should be back to the same structure (internally) as when we started with a blank piece of steel. I know there is some debate there but I am speaking in broad strokes. This all in preparation for the final heat, quench and temper. Which if also done properly should result in the blade exhibiting the consistent hardness without stress points that we created be forging and bending it.

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2020, 01:40:42 pm »
Hawkdancer

If you've got a torch, a piece of railroad iron and a gallon of mineral oil, you can do it!

well i got all that, but i lack something very rare, very very rare. permission.
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Offline Handforged

« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2020, 01:45:49 pm »
Hawkdancer

well i got all that, but i lack something very rare, very very rare. permission.

Dominus Ominus…. I hereby bequeath permission.  Get after it.

Offline PaulN/KS

« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2020, 06:22:13 pm »
Hawkdancer

I think he means from his folks...  :O ???

Offline Handforged

« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2020, 06:35:28 pm »
Hawkdancer

I know, I just thought I would get the ball rolling.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2020, 10:06:16 am »
Hawkdancer

I know, I just thought I would get the ball rolling.

His folks would probably cave if he were learning one on one with an experienced smith. I think they have experience with him "experimenting" on his own on interesting project when he was younger!  This kid has a very dangerous personality disorder known as a combination of curiosity and confidence! It's why we like him.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Handforged

« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2020, 12:27:55 pm »
OK FELLERS!  Saturday and snowing like a snow globe outside. Lets get the Crooked knife started back up!   For those that are working along, let's see where you are.

Offline Mr. Woolery

« Reply #29 on: April 11, 2020, 02:13:56 pm »
I’m not worried about stresses. I do multiple normalization cycles, too. It is just the geometry that makes me a bit nuts.

My family ended up deciding to do Easter today instead of tomorrow. I might get forge time tonight, and very likely will be out there tomorrow, but it won’t be happening in the morning.

I appreciate the build along, I’m just in a busy time right now. I’ll catch up soon, I hope.

Patrick