Author Topic: My new Hornbow  (Read 24479 times)

Offline simk

My new Hornbow
« on: April 28, 2020, 07:23:41 am »
After having destroyed my first hornbow by sophisticated stupidity I need another lucky punch and started a new one.  I'm documenting this here for Stuckinthemud and ... maybe someone else interested too...
This one piece hornbow-core off course is not state of the art and only for all those who don't like or can't splice or just like messing around with staves  (-S I must say it's really difficult to get good alignement, good fades, even thicknesses and a dead flat belly for glueing the horn. It's doabale but splicing a few rectangular pieces sure would be much easier. That way I managed to get an even thickness in the main bending zone within .5mm, which I consider ok. I only did string it to check alingnement - tiller is off because i'ts still too wide towards the outers. Now it's time for glueing horn and then sinew... whish me luck! 
« Last Edit: April 28, 2020, 07:42:14 am by simk »
--- the queen rules ----

Offline simk

Re: My new Hornbow
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2020, 07:24:20 am »
--- the queen rules ----

Offline DC

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2020, 09:49:23 am »
I'm watching :D

bownarra

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2020, 12:20:21 pm »
Cool! I wish you luck!
Is it ash?

Offline simk

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2020, 12:40:47 pm »
yes bownarra, it's premium ash. the bending part is exactly two rings  ;D what i didn't like about it was the ring porous thing - difficult to avoid "stairs" in the fades and the early wood parts are potential weak spots in the glue line. hazel was better regarding this. thank you!
--- the queen rules ----

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2020, 02:28:31 pm »
Wahoo, I'm watching this one!

bownarra

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2020, 11:55:24 pm »
yes bownarra, it's premium ash. the bending part is exactly two rings  ;D what i didn't like about it was the ring porous thing - difficult to avoid "stairs" in the fades and the early wood parts are potential weak spots in the glue line. hazel was better regarding this. thank you!

Exactly! I've used ash on the quarter but dunno if i'd trust it flat. Then again you haven't gone through the rings in the bending section(?) so you may be good. It certainly has the necessary flexibility.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2020, 08:39:53 am »
Alright....You can refer back to the broken one as far as what thickness got you what for poundage.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline simk

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2020, 06:40:31 am »
bownarra: It's exactly two rings in the bending zone, no early wood. This ash is so straight and flat as if it was produced in a factory  ;D I lately built a selfbow out of it with only 3 rings from tip to grip  ;D
BowEd: Yep, the game is on again  ;D I will of course orientate on the measurings of the last one - this last shoot so good that in need to get an exact replica. I could go with much wider limbs with this one regarding the horn, but won't  ;D

Glued and fire hardened the limbs. Now, before sinewing, I need to clean it up and reduce width and so to final final dimensions.

Off coursye already discovered some minor flaws: a little twist and one horn piece doesn't line up perfect => need to cheat a little with alignement now. But that all doesn't worry me too much now because the proof of the pudding will be the bending  ;D I've learnt with the first that with heat and and a little creative tillering even major flaws can be fixed  ;D   
« Last Edit: May 01, 2020, 06:53:50 am by simk »
--- the queen rules ----

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2020, 11:03:52 am »
Awesome. Best of luck to you.

Offline simk

« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2020, 12:35:00 am »
Thank you Aaron - I sure need it  ;D
She received 40 gramms of sinew last weekend and is almost dry and ready to receive another 40 gramms soon. Reflex so far increased from 12" to 15". Praying.... 8)
--- the queen rules ----

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2020, 07:14:22 am »
What kind of glue is that you are using?

Offline simk

« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2020, 07:25:33 am »
 2k for the horn this time because the radius was not perfect in the fades. rabbit glue with a bit of liquid fish glue and and 1 big spoon of vinegar for the sinew  ::)
--- the queen rules ----

bownarra

« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2020, 12:40:24 am »
Just a bit of advice - rabbit glues aren't have a fair portion of fat in them and any glue that stays liquid isn't really up to the job. What's the vinegar for?
Have you made your own glue before? It is very easy and results in a far superior product compared to most bought glues.

Offline simk

« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2020, 02:36:50 am »
bownarra, by no means I'm trying to reinvent the wheel  8) - just repeatin' what has been prooved to work reliable on many bows (not mine). scientific research on glutine glues of a german university have clearly shown that a bit of vinegar makes the glue more flexible, stronger and lowers the gelling temp significantly. little ot: with other additives it's also possible to make a water resistant sinew layer on ottoman bows out of bone glue.
I will soon have collected enough sinew scraps to do my own glue and will probably try that also. thank you  ;)
« Last Edit: May 08, 2020, 03:01:07 am by simk »
--- the queen rules ----