Author Topic: 2020 Victory Gardens  (Read 39525 times)

Offline HH~

Re: 2020 Victory Gardens
« Reply #45 on: May 10, 2020, 08:20:39 am »
Got to 40 here here. I did not cover anything.

HH~
MAFA: Makin America Free Again

Long is the road, Hard is the way.

Mother Gue never raised such a foolish child. . . .

Readily will I display the intestinal fortitude required to fight onto the Ranger objective and complete the mission though I be the lone survivor. RLTW

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #46 on: May 10, 2020, 08:34:50 am »
We're still having frosts every day, and probably will well into June. But I got the fence and the windbreak in yesterday, so we're making progress.  Different worlds.  :)
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
"The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail.
Travel too fast, and you miss all you are traveling for."
~Louis L'Amour

Offline HH~

« Reply #47 on: May 10, 2020, 12:48:56 pm »
Happy Mothers Day.

Just picked a Bowl of Arugula and Bibb lettuce and made my wife a big early salad. Have a beer can cajun chicken in the grill and did a big flat pan of olive oil balsamic vinegar onions sweet peppers and zucchini. 

Makin my hungry. Beautiful breezy sunny spring Mothers Day. Hug em , call em or remember them , love them.

HH~

Readily will I display the intestinal fortitude required to fight onto the Ranger objective and complete the mission though I be the lone survivor. RLTW

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #48 on: May 18, 2020, 06:08:34 am »
Had a visitor to my victory food plot. The place of business one of my buddies works at is cleaning out areas in their shop to allow for more social distancing. In the past their employees have been allowed to store some  stuff there. Not anymore. It had to go. My buddy said the employee who previously owned this 3-d target didn’t want it. He knew right where to put it.

Bjrogg
« Last Edit: May 18, 2020, 06:17:59 am by bjrogg »
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline HH~

« Reply #49 on: May 18, 2020, 06:35:56 am »
You going blind or spot and stalk hunt this plot? I dont see any good trees or cover.

HH~

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #50 on: May 18, 2020, 06:56:30 am »
I think he made a pit/ground blind out of rocks, right BJ?
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
~Louis L'Amour

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #51 on: May 18, 2020, 07:06:10 am »
Shawn it’s kind of a elevated pit blind. There are a few Basswood trees just to the side of the pit blind and the pit is dug into The side of the hill. Actually into a stone pile on the side of the hill. You are correct. Not many trees left here. Except for the ones I have planted. It was all ash here before the bore killed them all several years ago. The raspberries took over now and the deer still really like to travel through this area.

I don’t have tons of cover, but it’s just the start of spring here yet. Not even any leave on trees yet. I think the weeds and raspberries will grow up around and behind me. I think by being dug out two feet and natural growth that will occur. I’m hoping for enough cover. I am worried about not being in the shadows though. The afternoon noon sun will probably light me right up.  I’m thinking long term I can develop this into a nice spot.

Bjrogg

PS more cover here than my first two selfbow kills. I would really like to be in the shadows though.

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
« Reply #52 on: May 18, 2020, 08:40:57 am »
I dont have pics but im growing marigolds in my room. oh and my family's garden boxes are doing good!!!
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #53 on: May 18, 2020, 08:45:13 am »
OK, here's my garden patch.  Doesn't look like much yet, but it has potential.  It's about 45'x48'.
100_0386 by Thomas Wilson, on Flickr

Oat patch getting a drink.
http://100_0388 by Thomas Wilson, on Flickr

Tree swallows know they're cool...even if they're a little confused about what house they belong to.
http://100_0389 by Thomas Wilson, on Flickr

http://100_0395 by Thomas Wilson, on Flickr

Raspberries. This bed also has spearmint, chocolate mint, and tomatillos.
http://100_0394 by Thomas Wilson, on Flickr

All three of my baby hazelnuts made it through the winter!  This one looks like it's going to blossom soon.
http://100_0391 by Thomas Wilson, on Flickr

This is going to be a tomato/herb garden right out the kitchen door.
http://100_0390 by Thomas Wilson, on Flickr

Apple tree leafing out
http://100_0392 by Thomas Wilson, on Flickr
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
~Louis L'Amour

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #54 on: May 18, 2020, 11:43:33 am »
Don't have any pics yet, but peach and cherry trees are leafing out, real sure the blossoms got hit by a hard freeze 2 weeks ago, plum tree got knocked over by the dogs, and didn't survive replanting.  It should make a very stylish walking stick after it is cured. Would it be best to debarkit and seal the ends?  Looks like all the blueberries will make it, thought one didn't but saw leaves poking up yesterday, strawberries are making good blossoms, everything gets a drink today!  Got garlic and chives, too.
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #55 on: May 18, 2020, 01:54:30 pm »
Sounds cool, Jerry.  I'm jealous about the peaches.  We found some that were supposed to be good to zone 4 (we're between 3 and 4 here) but they die back to the ground every year, and I think they finally died all the way.

Got our corn and beans in today.   It's (more) fun getting the whole family in on it.  Many hands make light(er) work.
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
~Louis L'Amour

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #56 on: May 19, 2020, 12:16:27 am »
Haven't talked garden wig Little Fiddle Woman yet, but move is looking better and we may decide to start some plant in pots or buy larger starters!  Tomatoes, peppers, herbs, lan to take the tarragon planter along, it is celebrity, I.e. 3rd generation planting from Georgia O'Keefe(?)in New Mexico!  Didn't get out to water today, tomorrow for sure!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline HH~

« Reply #57 on: May 19, 2020, 06:53:19 am »
WB

Whats getting after your plants and trees that you have to goat fence everything?

You garden looks fine. You have enough room to feed several families. I bet out there you have to stay on your toes and have your seedling ready to go. You miss planting dates by a week and your not going to harvest. Bet if you can soften ground enough you could grow nice pototoes. That dirt over by Driggs, ID is super duper dirt for out west.

Think the best dirt I ever saw is that stuff running up the Iowa side of the Missouri River. Black as coal and they say in some places its 25-30ft deep.

HH~

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #58 on: May 19, 2020, 08:09:39 am »
I wouldn't hardly know what to do with dirt like that, Shawn.  ha ha   Ours is solid clay, right up to the surface.  Pretty fertile, but not the easiest stuff to work with.  We do grow some good potatoes, but they won't grow deep, so we have to cover them with a thick layer of straw to keep them from turning green.

You're right about the timing.  The trouble is it's unpredictable.  Sometimes we get frosts at the end of June and/or at the end of August.  Other years we're good to go from early May to early October.  So, you say your prayers and you take your chances!  Our best bets for staples have always been Hooker's Blue Corn (unfortunate name but great stuff), mini hubbard squash, dry beans, and yukon gold potatoes.  We usually get at least something from those.  Tomatoes and peppers and melons grow great some years, and give us nothing others.  All depends on the weather.

The fence is to keep the deer off the trees.  Especially in late summer when the bucks are polishing up their antlers.  We're in a one deer per year area, no additional doe/fawn tags available like there are across the highway.  Dumb.  I figure, if we ever move anywhere with real soil, a dependable growing season, and reasonable hunting limits, we're going to be swimming in food.   8)
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
~Louis L'Amour

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #59 on: May 19, 2020, 08:17:33 am »
I’m hoping that it dries out and I can start planting my garden this weekend. We got plenty of rain now.
Glad I didn’t plant garden yet.  Nothing ever likes this much water at once.
Bjrogg