Author Topic: 2020 Victory Gardens  (Read 39301 times)

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
Re: 2020 Victory Gardens
« Reply #90 on: July 19, 2020, 07:16:04 am »
I am overloaded, I planted a covid 19 sized garden just in case, this is almost a daily picking, I have canned about all I need and my Anasazi beans are just coming in. I try to give the stuff I don't use away but I am running gout of people who want it because everyone is giving stuff away and there is an abundance available.

Nice problem to have!  Do you have a food bank nearby?  We've been giving lots of greens and sugar peas away.  We're probably another month away from having any tomatoes or peppers, but the pumpkins and watermelons have blossoms, and the oats are almost as tall as my daughter!
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
"The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail.
Travel too fast, and you miss all you are traveling for."
~Louis L'Amour

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #91 on: July 19, 2020, 10:13:27 am »
Plenty of Lambs Quarter here plus I harvested the seeds from some mature plants last year.  We like them better than Spinach now.  It is best to harvest them as young plants but the seeds are also edible.  If anyone needs calcium in their diet these are the plants to eat

Marc yesterday there was a spot my brother dumped a loader bucket full of dirt and the lambs quarters were almost over my head. I ate some of the tops, leaves and young seed buds raw.  Not to bad. Would have been better washed off, a bit dusty.

Do you eat the stems to?

Pretty soon the milk weed buds will be just right. I like those to.

Still haven’t got up the nerve to try stinging nettles. Have to many Unpleasant memories of it as a kid.

Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #92 on: July 19, 2020, 01:19:13 pm »
Marc yesterday there was a spot my brother dumped a loader bucket full of dirt and the lambs quarters were almost over my head. I ate some of the tops, leaves and young seed buds raw.  Not to bad. Would have been better washed off, a bit dusty.

Do you eat the stems to?

I eat the stems if they are tender.  They are best steamed or in a soup
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #93 on: July 20, 2020, 07:48:44 pm »
Snapped a picture of my sweet corn patch. We freeze a couple hundred pounds. Sell a little and give some away, depending on the yield and how much the coons and critters leave us.

Also my asparagus is finally really getting established good. I get most of my asparagus from the road ditch, but my wife planted this patch years ago.
Bjrogg

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #94 on: July 24, 2020, 10:58:17 am »
Wild raspberries are ripe. Lots of them but they are pretty small this year. These are really tasty and not to seedy.

Bjrogg

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #95 on: July 24, 2020, 11:07:07 am »
Thought I would show another picture of my food plot and pit blind now that things have greened up a little more. The deer have been keeping the tops trimmer off my soybeans. They don’t seem to mind my 3-D target buck. I have pictures of at least three different bucks, two does and five fawns on my trail camera.

First picture is sitting in my pit blind looking down at food plot. I’m thinking I might make a trellis for the wild grapes to grow on. Give me a little more cover and some shade. I could kinda train them to grow now I wanted them to.

Bjrogg

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #96 on: July 24, 2020, 11:45:16 am »
Second picture is from lane at top of hill looking down into pit blind and food plot. Maybe you can see my chair.
Bjrogg

Offline HH~

« Reply #97 on: July 24, 2020, 04:44:27 pm »
Made 5qts of German Hungarian kraut. Was in crock for 6wks. Thats what 10lbs of raw cabbage yeilded.

Easy to make the proper kraut crock.

Dug 10lbs of russets up today.

Layed in my fall kale and broccoli this after noon. Will keep me in greens thru January. Will put a gew rows of ted potatoes here shortly. Some winter squash as well

H
MAFA: Makin America Free Again

Long is the road, Hard is the way.

Mother Gue never raised such a foolish child. . . .

Readily will I display the intestinal fortitude required to fight onto the Ranger objective and complete the mission though I be the lone survivor. RLTW

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #98 on: July 24, 2020, 06:00:47 pm »
A little hunter gather going on, I made 14 qts of bread and butter pickles today and got 4 qts of applesause for a start, need about 16 more on the sause, earlier got about 15 pints of strawberry freezer jam. Maters are couple a weeks out, broccli about ready. Only 6 pints of canned meat left  3 deer and 3 beaver  but season opens Oct 3.  Hey BJ have ya ever ate any day lily blossoms, not alot of flavor but  lots of them and really clean and crisp.  Just pick and eat no prep work.  Later Bob
« Last Edit: July 24, 2020, 06:05:13 pm by Outbackbob48 »

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #99 on: July 24, 2020, 06:55:28 pm »
Really love good Proper Kraut HH. Making my mouth water.

Outback no I haven’t tried day lily buds. I know where there’s a bunch of them growing though.

I did try a kettle full of lambs quarters though. Gotta say if I didn’t know it I would have thought it was spinach. It won’t be the last time I eat them.

Bjrogg

PS that kettle was full I ate almost all of it myself.

Offline HH~

« Reply #100 on: July 27, 2020, 12:25:56 pm »
My JCM tomatoes are in. Will be into juice, pasta sauce, picante, pizza sauce soon. My yellow cayans and Jalapenos are in as well.

A may 4th frost really did most warm season stuff for most folks here. Saw mid April frost and held my seedlings in shed. I got prolly 300lbs of tomatoes hanging green right now. Gotta eat tomatoes if ya wanna see 90 like in Italy!

Hedge~

Readily will I display the intestinal fortitude required to fight onto the Ranger objective and complete the mission though I be the lone survivor. RLTW

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #101 on: July 27, 2020, 05:00:25 pm »
Really love good Proper Kraut HH. Making my mouth water.

Outback no I haven’t tried day lily buds. I know where there’s a bunch of them growing though.

I did try a kettle full of lambs quarters though. Gotta say if I didn’t know it I would have thought it was spinach. It won’t be the last time I eat them.

Bjrogg

PS that kettle was full I ate almost all of it myself.

Glad to see you tried them out.  They are prolific and easy to grow, one plant probably produces 100's of seeds.  I "re-introduced" them to my grandmother 30 or so years ago.  She told me that they used to eat them when she was young, her family had very little.  They also used to eat Sheep's Sorrel in their salads but that one has quite a bit of oxalic acid and shouldn't be eaten in large quantities
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #102 on: July 27, 2020, 05:11:01 pm »
I really like milkweed buds when they just turn green to. Rinse them in cold clean water a couple times, boil em, drain and add a little butter.
Bjrogg

Offline HH~

« Reply #103 on: July 27, 2020, 06:09:05 pm »
got about 10lbs of Chantrelle's a couple weeks ago. just enough to last me thru the year. Use to hunt lots of shrooms as a kid with my father. All kinds. Think my favorite were Oysters but my wife loves Chntrelles.
Got to string these yellow cayans. My China Garden has really done well. Keep out in this hot sun gives me a good jolt of D3 three every day. Good for the body good for the gut.

HH

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #104 on: July 27, 2020, 06:57:02 pm »
Our oats are almost ready to harvest; pumpkins are starting to form, and tomatoes are starting to blossom.  Peppers and broccoli probably aren't going to amount to anything this year, but everything else looks pretty good.  Steady as she goes...
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
"The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail.
Travel too fast, and you miss all you are traveling for."
~Louis L'Amour