Author Topic: Tiller check character hawthorn stick  (Read 2250 times)

Offline Ricardovanleeuwen

Tiller check character hawthorn stick
« on: May 16, 2020, 02:31:29 pm »
It isnt at full draw yet but i want to hear opinions on the bend so far

Offline RyanY

Re: Tiller check character hawthorn stick
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2020, 05:22:01 pm »
R limb looks good. L limb has too much bend in the inner third, almost hinging. Your handle and fades section looks quite thick. Could probably get it working into the fades a bit during the last few inches of tillering.

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2020, 06:20:59 pm »
For some reason i notoced the hinge too when i checked the picture a few hours later. But to fix It u have to scrape from the left AND right side of the hinge? Or Just the right side (at the fade)?

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2020, 06:25:22 pm »
The picture is made with a low brace string (2 inch brace height) by the way

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2020, 07:45:04 pm »
Low brace and normal brace should give the same tiller.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Online bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2020, 08:01:49 pm »
For some reason i notoced the hinge too when i checked the picture a few hours later. But to fix It u have to scrape from the left AND right side of the hinge? Or Just the right side (at the fade)?

Yes . Put a x on the hinge and don’t remove any more wood from that area until the bend evens out. I agree out of fades is stiff also outer third.

Right limb looks pretty good. It will probably be stiffer than left but if you can keep taking weight off it a maintain that bend till both limbs are even.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2020, 02:37:56 am »
Some more info about this bow: i harvested this branch a bit earlyer As the elm bow that i posted on here (my second bow and first posted bow) but i started working this one as i wanted the elm stave to dry a bit. As the elm was dry i put this in my Wood Corner to maybe finish It, almost put on the firewood pile. Since i traded my elm bow with my Friends i started An other elm stave wich i Will recurve but i dont want to break that one so i quickly started tillering this one again, a bit at home and a bit while walking with my dog. Im going to try to finish this one cluickly cuz i wanna shoot haha. Its 56 inch nock to nock and the Bark is still partly on. At this moment i understand the fear of An explosion when i pull It and i hear the Bark cracking >:D the Bottom limb is quite straight with some knots in It and the top limb has a Nice wiggle in It. The string alignement is a bit off because i started wrong but im going to fix that with the heath gun.

Offline NicAzana

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2020, 05:50:20 am »
As a fellow beginner, I can really recommend using calipers and your fingers to feels the thickness taper! That has been the most critical thing I’ve learned. There should be EVEN reduction of thickness from the fade out, with NO places where it has constant or increasing thickness or where it becomes too thin too fast, compared to the rest of the limb.
time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2020, 06:47:08 am »
I dont think that counts for staves with pin knots on the belly sides since those spots are better in compression

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2020, 07:59:58 am »
Just work the left limb mid limb on and don't draw it very far to work in the wood removal.
Good one, Ryan. Near handle wood needs attention too. I usually work one problem area at a time.
Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2020, 02:11:42 pm »
Recheck please, i think right limb needs more bend in the middle and after that a bit more bending in the handle?

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2020, 02:32:52 pm »
Oh and the left Outer third

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2020, 07:08:14 pm »
Did you hit your draw length? Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

bownarra

« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2020, 11:06:46 pm »
I dont think that counts for staves with pin knots on the belly sides since those spots are better in compression

Wrong.
A good thickness and width taper are absolutely essential on all bows.
Pin knots are WORSE in compression than a clean piece of wood.

« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2020, 11:38:12 pm »
Did you hit your draw length? Jawge
not yet but getting close, also have to make it a bit shorter because i did cut the string groove throug the back as i didn't know that  that's the wrong way when i started this bow