Author Topic: Elm Flatbow tillering  (Read 2082 times)

Offline DC

Re: Elm Flatbow tillering
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2020, 06:25:42 pm »
About a foot out on the right limb, do I see a little too much bend? Could be a sprig of grass messing with my eyes :D

Offline PatrickH

« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2020, 06:54:52 pm »
So the bottom limb has taken about 1in of set it looks like mostly just below the handle (an early hinge area i haven't touched most of the time I have been working that limb) The top limb has always had a slight jog back (.5in) due to a natural deflex in the last 4in of it that I steam bent to at least be at the correct angle to the rest of the limb, but it still jogs towards the belly half an inch naturally. that limb has taken an inch of set but also has that .5 that was always there, that brings it to 1.5in (if that makes sense? I will include a picture.) The top limb seems to have taken the most set 1/3 the way up from the handle, which is the place it currently is bending the most on that limb (I think the place DC is pointing out.) Which is another place that just started to develop a slight hinge and I have been avoiding recently. Thanks guys I never thought to tiller based upon areas with set I guess that makes sense though, is it because set develops in the places that have been stressed the most? Is 1in of set this early too much?

UB20 by patrick holmes, on Flickr

Tip by patrick holmes, on Flickr
Muskegon Mi.

Offline PatrickH

« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2020, 07:36:28 pm »
I currently have the last 7in stiff on each limb, is that too long of a stiff outer limb? how far up more should I make it bend? It starts to get narrower at that point.
Muskegon Mi.

Offline willie

« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2020, 08:28:52 pm »
I never thought to tiller based upon areas with set I guess that makes sense though, is it because set develops in the places that have been stressed the most?

Yes, excess stress is the culprit.  The trick is to be straining the limb evenly, and to have the set taken evenly.
Is 1in of set this early too much?

you would rather not have the bow take any set, but if it does happen, having it happen just as you arrive at your drawlength is preferable to happening earlier.
One consideration is that if an area near the handle takes set it will show as more deflex if you only look at how far the tips have set back.
One advantage to tracing the limb early and making comparisons as you go, is that you can see if set is happening evenly or locally.

The goal to strain the limb evenly is improved upon when the bowyer decides it is better to avoid set in the inner limbs and only push the outers to the point of taking set.

getting the tips moving a bit more if they are stiff and working the bend back into a stiff handle is a technique to having to remove too much wood in the major working portions of the limbs. At some point, if one has chosen too high of a weight goal. he may have to reduce his expectations or live with more set than desired. 

Offline PatrickH

« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2020, 11:59:19 am »
I appreciate it. Thats good advice.
Muskegon Mi.