Author Topic: How to learn to hunt with a selfbow?  (Read 13613 times)

Offline Fox

How to learn to hunt with a selfbow?
« on: May 29, 2020, 01:09:02 pm »
I want to start bow hunting , i have been shooting bows consistently for 3 years.. And hunt with a rifle ... but i am young and go with more experienced hunters... but i don't have any bow hunters around to go with... should i wait till i am more expereinced and just go by myself?  Ideas? Thanks

-Fox
« Last Edit: September 09, 2020, 07:17:18 am by Fox »
Why must we make simple things so complicated?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: How to learn to hunt with a selfbow?
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2020, 01:56:44 pm »
If you can find someone to go with that would be better, safer but if not go by yourself. It may take you a while before you figure it out but you'll never kill a deer(or whatever) unless you go hunting. If you are a stand hunter place your stand near a game trail(about 10 to 15 yds off) with plenty of cover and stay alert. With a rifle you probably hunt open areas. With a bow you need to be close, let the deer get close and all along concentrate on where the arrow will go and take your first shot opportunity. If you can see a deer's eyes he will see you, if you move, he will see you so wait til everything is in your favor and the deer is where you can put the arrow through the boiler room. Study a deer's anatomy so you'll know where to put the arrow. Be sure the deer is calm too. An alert deer is faster than your arrow.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline StickMark

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2020, 08:57:25 pm »
Beginner's luck is real. Be ready on Day One, Hour One.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2020, 12:51:27 am »
Practice!  Lots of it!  Like Pat said set your stand or blind in good cover downwind from the trail, be alert, the world needs more lerts, a long shot is 15-20 yards if you can hit that boiler room.  Good luck! Maybe this is my year, too!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2020, 04:37:22 am »
My advice would be to just get on the board first with a kill of any sized deer.It gives you confidence for your next outing.Being persistent.Pay attention to wind directions.A quartering away shot to the side of your bow arm.Set your stands up in that way.I like to let the deer walk past me quartered away.On the ground type shot broadside is fine.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Fox

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2020, 08:26:59 am »
Okay thanks guys....

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2020, 08:49:56 am »
Find a place with deer movement and do a few sits, without a weapon, and see what it's all about. When the situation presents itself you could do a fake draw and release to see if you can without the deer seeing you. See how close the deer will get to you without spooking. By hunting season you will be used to being out there and it will probably help you relax and concentrate on the situation at hand.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline GlisGlis

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2020, 05:04:03 am »
Find a place with deer movement and do a few sits, without a weapon, and see what it's all about. When the situation presents itself you could do a fake draw and release to see if you can without the deer seeing you

Use a camera and post here the pictures for us voyeurs  (lol)

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2020, 05:45:05 am »
Lots of good info here, but the best way is to just get out there and do it, you will learn, may take some time,lots of ups and downs but it will come if you just keep at it.If you have anyone you know that does it, hunting with them would be a big help also, if not just go do it. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2020, 07:03:37 am »
When I go to a new area I walk over it first to look for deer trails, food sources and bedding areas. After the initial look see I start what I call scout hunting, I set up and watch, often several days under different conditions. Doing this I might hear deer on across the hollow that never come my way, at which point I move my scout/hunt location to get closer to the action.

One thing to remember is your best chance to kill a deer in a location is the first time you sit it, after you go there once your scent is there and and your chances diminish. For this reason find a number of possible stand locations and rotated them. Unless you are on a really hot food source it is best not to go back to a place for two weeks or so.

Above all, play the wind and walk in to your area as quietly as you can. If you set up a treestand do it in slow motivation and don't clank anything, deer flee from unnatural sounds.

Offline Woody roberts

« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2020, 09:45:38 pm »
Different areas require different tactics. So I will only talk about where I hunt. Public land along the Jacks Fork river. In a year when there are few acorns the deer feed in the bottom then work their way up on the ridges to bed.
I never want to go where the deer are, I want to go where they will be coming to. Hence in the morning I will set up on a trail near the top of the ridge. In the evening I’m on a trail in the bottom. It is so brushy there that the deer tend to use trails pretty regular. Most people won’t hunt there because of the brush.

In a year with lots of acorns all bets are off. They feed and bed up on the hillsides. As you hunt an area more you learn spots that are consistent producers. It’s always more difficult when your hunting a new area.
Shoot straight, Woody

Offline Fox

« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2020, 01:41:56 pm »
Thanks pappy, woody, and Eric  and everyone else...  So my much good advice, never met a better comunity then the people that love the woods and the animals and the primitive ways of using them.

-Fox

Offline Fox

« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2020, 01:42:33 pm »
(I'm going to have to print this page out and put it in my note book!)

Offline Fox

« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2020, 10:04:50 pm »
So I've been spending a bunch of time in the woods i plane to hunt. Lots of scouting and marking places on the map. So i built a blind In a holler between two spur ridges coming off the mountain, theres water, some big oaks, a few hickorys , and a few beach trees.... There's a deer trail about 10 yards from my blind,  but other then that not a lot of sign of deer,  I've done one sit out there without a bow. Nothing but some squirrels. As I was hiking up the ridge to the right at the top there seemed to be more trails and more scate... So should i move up there and do a sit? Or do more sits in the holler to see if anyhing shows up? Thanks

-Fox

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2020, 11:30:01 pm »
Look for the places where the trails converge.   how fresh is the scat, what is the wind pattern?  Can you set up down wind and either level or slightly downhill, is there enough cover for a blind?  Make notes in your log and take some gps readings!  Mark the area on a map, if you can.  Remember, too, batteries go dead at bad times!  I still carry a 1:24,000 map and a compass of my hunting area!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry