Author Topic: How to learn to hunt with a selfbow?  (Read 13421 times)

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
Re: How to learn to hunt with a selfbow?
« Reply #45 on: December 09, 2020, 01:05:15 pm »
You never know unless you try! I doubt that it would affect them going there but they might be more wary.
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Offline HH~

« Reply #46 on: December 09, 2020, 03:00:27 pm »
Your hunting off ground or hanging a climber?

Should not hunt you check you wind forecast to get in there. Get in early. If you dont have a ground stand your going to need a ghillie net or make a brush blind or sorts.

Sounds like deer are traveling this place. Prolly a bunch at nite but I bet early and late day too.

HH~
MAFA: Makin America Free Again

Long is the road, Hard is the way.

Mother Gue never raised such a foolish child. . . .

Readily will I display the intestinal fortitude required to fight onto the Ranger objective and complete the mission though I be the lone survivor. RLTW

Offline Fox

« Reply #47 on: December 09, 2020, 06:58:29 pm »
I’m hunting from the ground.  So you don’t think I should hunt that spot this weekend?
Why must we make simple things so complicated?

Offline Allyn T

• I'm addicted to information
« Reply #48 on: December 09, 2020, 08:53:55 pm »
I don't think ground scent is a big deal to deer especially if I was only one time. If they never went where they smelled a predator they wouldn't be able to move. It just tells em you passed through
In the woods I find my peace

Offline Woody roberts

« Reply #49 on: December 11, 2020, 03:52:51 pm »
I would hunt it. If you wear rubber boots they leave very little scent. Even with leather boots they probably won’t pick up your walking scent after a couple hours.

Offline HH~

« Reply #50 on: December 12, 2020, 07:57:12 am »
Its Dec you better hunt it. Hunt it with any clean gear. Keep it clean as if your were trapping. Dont need rubber if you keep gear clean. You have to have a real good idea of where the deer may pass and travel from and get your ground stand ready for that wind or hunt somewhere else. A great many things must go almost flawlessly on ground but the good thing is when you get a good broadside shot,  if you take it with proper angle your going to do great damage as long as you stay off shoulder.

In a tree you have little easier time with wind direction and can get away with a little movement in early season. The shot angles become much steeper at close ranges however. If you can slide an arrow with hard down angle along just one side of spine that almost always will kill even a big whitetail. You dont get a lots of blood if arrow does not poke out bottom buts its lethal. Gets the artery to kidney on either side.

Gud Luk

HH~
MAFA: Makin America Free Again

Long is the road, Hard is the way.

Mother Gue never raised such a foolish child. . . .

Readily will I display the intestinal fortitude required to fight onto the Ranger objective and complete the mission though I be the lone survivor. RLTW

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #51 on: December 12, 2020, 08:26:35 am »
Your most important bit of gear is working with the wind in your favor.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC