Author Topic: Thickness Sander Drum?  (Read 2775 times)

Offline Stick Bender

Re: Thickness Sander Drum?
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2020, 07:15:39 am »
 Bownarra's right on them generating a lot of heat & dust  but one trick I have found to minimize it, is I make these sleds out of bamboo flooring one for my band saw and one for grinding it really minimizes grind time and stretches out material ,I have a venerre blade for my band saw that preety much cuts the tapper so grinding just takes out the saw marks , guys that I know with home brew grinders complain about hand feeding & debits in the lams the conveyer system eliminats it , some of those guys have been using trued out granite slabs for the feed table , larger drums work better as far as ware on the sand paper !
If you fear failure you will never Try !

Offline Granje Chaser

« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2020, 08:40:03 am »
As a drum I use rotor from broken old washing machine motor from scrap yard. The problem is that the width of the drum is 6 cm, but that is enough to make bows. Surface correction can be done with a flat plate (plywood) to which the sandpaper is glued. Every time I glue the sandpaper on drum I check the angle with a piece of laminate flooring. If necessary I add thin metal sheet.

Offline willie

« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2020, 04:04:45 pm »
I make these sleds out of bamboo flooring one for my band saw ........I have a venerre blade for my band saw that preety much cuts the tapper

Stick, can you show us your setup on the bandsaw for using a tapered sled?
thanks

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2020, 04:42:28 pm »
Willie I dont have the saw set up for it right now as I have been working on some rifle stocks but its really strait forward ,I just put on the fence and change the blade and slide the material married to the sled against the fence threw the blade, easy peasie nothing complecated ,to make the sleds you determine what tapper you want in my case for a natural bow I started with a .005 sled by stacking some .003 & .002 lams together and used that to make the .005 sled once you have a few sleds it easy to do what ever taper rate you want , actually you could just use the saw & sanding sticks to make the lams skipping the grinding if you wanted for natuaral bows ! For horn there is no way to use the saw and needs grinding this is what I use for that and the horn needs to be taped to the sled and ground but with wood lams you can just hold it in place with finger pressure on the sled while the conveyer pulls it threw !
« Last Edit: August 14, 2020, 04:54:37 pm by Stick Bender »

Offline willie

« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2020, 12:29:41 am »
that's a nice set up you have there. when you are using a sled against the fence in the bandsaw do you just marry the stock to the sled with hand pressure or use some sort of stick-um?

I'm not sure if my 14 inch grizzly is going to work well for this, but maybe the veneer blade makes all the difference with getting the blade to track well?

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2020, 05:39:41 am »
The 14" saw will work fine for it just get a high TPI count blade the veneerer blade isn't a must but you can cut thinner lams with it , hand pressure is all thats needed for the sled and the saw , generaly natural bow lams are thicker then glass bow lams so you have a larger margin of error and the belly lam is scrapped for tiller any way , sorry I didnt mean to change the thread I was just pointing out you dont need a thickness sander to make natural bow lams !

Offline willie

« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2020, 11:32:24 am »
thanks stick, I guess I need to tune up my saw some, even if its a small one. (That don't mean I'm taking a nice new saw off the wish list.)

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2020, 11:46:23 am »
I wish I never got rid of my 14" a lot easier to pull out & use but once tunned its hard to beat a 23" for precisión & power ! The Grizzly you have will do every thing you want as far as lams ! Good luck !